Time to change the smoke det. batt's

stuckincincy

*Be sure to change the batteries in your smoke detectors this weekend.*

A detector's theoretical life is ten years, but I've had them fail before that - so I replace 'em every five.

Note, there are two basic types:

Ionization - best for fast fires, such as a grease fire or blazing paper.

Photoelectric - best for slow, smoldering, smoky fires.

The ionization units are quite inexpensive. Kidde sells a combo ionization/photoelectric unit (Mdl P19000) for 28 bucks at Lowes.

Some smoke detector tips:

http://www.markham.ca/markham/channels/fir...smokealarms.htm

I've often wondered about this.

My smoke detectors make a beeping sound when the battery needs changing. Each one needs changing about every year and a half.

So my question is...do they issue this reminder because many smoke detectors don't have that obnoxious "please change my battery" beeping sound?

Or does the low battery warning often fail and this is an extra precautionary measure?

Just wondering if I'm safe or not.

I've often wondered about this. 

My smoke detectors make a beeping sound when the battery needs changing.  Each one needs changing about every year and a half.

So my question is...do they issue this reminder because many smoke detectors don't have that obnoxious "please change my battery" beeping sound? 

Or does the low battery warning often fail and this is an extra precautionary measure?

Just wondering if I'm safe or not.

818656[/snapback]

aussie, I don't know, but I think it's a timely, easy-to-remember precautionary measure. I change 'em because the 15 bucks a year I spend on 9v cells doesn't bother me compared to losing my wife, our cats, and me, too! :lol:

P.S. I still have your Austrailian Tea Cake recipe. I think I'll make it this Sunday...

aussie, I don't know, but I think it's a timely, easy-to-remember precautionary measure.  I change 'em because the 15 bucks a year I spend on 9v cells doesn't bother me compared to losing my wife, our cats, and me, too!  :lol:

P.S. I still have your Austrailian Tea Cake recipe. I think I'll make it this Sunday...

818662[/snapback]

Bump for safety

Can anybody lend me about 17 9-volt's?

Almost every f'ing room and hallway in the house has one. Every bathroom, kitchen, etc....

Way too f'ing many. I bought 10 and didn't realize how many they put in new homes. <_<

The batteries are for backup only as the the firesystem is on electric and connected, but still replacing 17 is expensive and time consuming.

Damn , I just remembered, forgot to check if closets or utility rooms haave them

The electrical code in this area calls for all wiring to be enclosed in a mechanical enclosure... ie: conduit... Rigid, EMT, etc... Just a few years ago, the code was changed to NOW include that ground wire be present in all pipe (can't just use the rigid or EMT to get by... Since a lot of homeowners were probably adding plastic and breaking the ground.)

My house is 10 years old and I think the code also called for smoke detectors to be hard wired to the electrical service... I have those.

I also installed battery op'd ones next to them...

I am pretty well backed up and change my batteries when the back-up detectors need them...

Thanx...

<_<

Cincy:  Did you make the Tea Cake?

819940[/snapback]

Yes!!!! :lol:

It's absolutely excellent.

Delicious, and very light in texture. I used almond extract instead of orange extract, and used the fine-grain caster sugar (a.k.a bar sugar - the stuff that's used to coat the rim of a cocktail glass) along with the cinnamon to dust the top.

I mixed the butter and sugar with a spoon and fork for a few minutes, then put the bowl into the microwave for 20 seconds on high to furthur soften the butter.

Thanks for a great recipe!!! <_<

Can anybody lend me about 17 9-volt's? 

Almost every f'ing room and hallway in the house has one.  Every bathroom, kitchen, etc.... 

Way too f'ing many.  I bought 10 and didn't realize how many they put in new homes.  <_<

The batteries are for backup only as the the firesystem is on electric and connected, but still replacing 17 is expensive and time consuming. 

Damn , I just remembered, forgot to check if closets or utility rooms haave them

819948[/snapback]

VA, if you change them every 6 months like I do, buy the cheaper "heavy duty" 9 v batteries instead of the alkaline ones.

VA, if you change them every 6 months like I do, buy the cheaper "heavy duty" 9 v batteries instead of the alkaline ones.

820156[/snapback]

Actually Stuck... Don't they tell you NOT to use alkaline batterys in smoke detectors... I think it is most of the instructions???...

Unlike most things, smoke detectors need the "old school" alternative...

:devil:

Actually Stuck... Don't they tell you NOT to use alkaline batterys in smoke detectors... I think it is most of the instructions???...

Unlike most things, smoke detectors need the "old school" alternative...

:(

820628[/snapback]

Actually, EII...

Here's the info from the manual for my Kidde Mdl 0915, manufactured in 2001:

Battery type:

carbon-zinc: Eveready 216 or 1222, plus some other brands.

alkaline: Eveready 522 + others

lithium: Ultralife U9VL

It came with a free carbon-zinc battery.

My newer Kidde Mdl PI900 dual detector units' manual recommends alkaline. They came with an included alkaline battery.

I believe the more recent recommendation exists because:

1) People do not follow the 6 month change-out recommendation. No surprise.

2) They are advocating increased expense because of liability lawyers.

:(:)