Did I miss something

generaLee83

Okay, he's now going to ride the pine and Gandy will take over for him at LG.

Did I miss something on Reyes? There seems to have been little mention of his performances, good or bad on these boards or TBD.

Was he really playing worse than Gandy? After seeing Gandy this year it surprises me that he is still going to start. I would rather start a potato sack filled with dog sh_t in Gandy's place, is Reyes really worse than a potato sack filled with dog sh_t?

I just don't remember hearing much about Reyes allowing sacks and missing blocks (seems Gandy and Villarial have taken that brunt)

Please enlighten me

Did I miss something on Reyes?  There seems to have been little mention of his performances, good or bad on these boards or TBD.

Was he really playing worse than Gandy?  After seeing Gandy this year it surprises me that he is still going to start.  I would rather start a potato sack filled with dog sh_t in Gandy's place, is Reyes really worse than a potato sack filled with dog sh_t?

I just don't remember hearing much about Reyes allowing sacks and missing blocks (seems Gandy and Villarial have taken that brunt)

Please enlighten me

818296[/snapback]

I will never pretend to be an expert at analyzing OLinemen performances, like some here (hell I even played on the OL and DL lines in high school), but my take on this whole thing is that Gandy as a guard is not so bad, maybe better than Reyes. As a tackle Gandy was failing...I am also kind of assuming, since Gandy played for, I believe, Jauron in Chicago, he is probably getting the benefit of a doubt.

We are basically heading into a 9 game preseason, it looks like. Might as well mix and match, and find out if McNally can get anything out of any of these guys. They are playing for their roster spots in 2007.

Part of the equation may also be that Reyes has had some injuries (not sure what) the last couple weeks. Dinged up, eh?

No OL guru myself either, but Reyes seemed OK to me so far.

Gandy obviously sucked, but then that is just us amateurs seeing the LT on his island, while the LG is somewhat protected (from obvious shame) between the T and the C, so what the hell do we know?!

Did I miss something on Reyes?  There seems to have been little mention of his performances, good or bad on these boards or TBD.

Was he really playing worse than Gandy?  After seeing Gandy this year it surprises me that he is still going to start.  I would rather start a potato sack filled with dog sh_t in Gandy's place, is Reyes really worse than a potato sack filled with dog sh_t?

Please enlighten me

818296[/snapback]

The problems with our OLine have come in the passing game, and those problems have been by far the worst for us at LT and RG, with Gandy being charged with 5.5 sacks allowed and the duo of Chris Villarrial and Duke Preston giving up a combined 5 at RG. I think it was Jauron who said Reyes would be back in the starting lineup as soon as he's healed up, and that just means Gandy will move to the bench.

Gandy's pass blocking struggles- mostly getting beat off his left shoulder- will disappear inside while he's subbing for Reyes. The other major problem though, with VillPreston playing very poorly on the inside, is that we're actually removing a strength to their right and putting a rookie next to them. I don't see the help there, unless Pennington turns out to be some intellectual phenom won't need to rely on the RG like virtually all other starting rookies require at the Tackle spots. Pennington would have to play like a very good, mistake free player taken at least 5 rounds in front of where he was to make me believe the team has some credible answers to the weak inside pass blocking on the right side. Or possibly Gandy does stick the lineup at OG along with Reyes and Villarrial is set down. Then again, maybe Fairchild has simply been told to structure his passing offense for the balance of the season on weakside rollouts ;-)

I think it was Jauron who said Reyes would be back in the starting lineup as soon as he's healed up, and that just means Gandy will move to the bench.

818317[/snapback]

I hope that's true, Gandy is overall one of the most unimpressive players on this team. I really hope that Jauron's loyalty to his players hasn't been the sole reason he wasn't benched sooner.

You know what's sad? Jason Peters is our best offensive lineman and he was an undrafted free agent. We have been drafting for the last 5-8 years and even in free agency and we can't find another solid offensive lineman? Even with Jim McNally coaching these slugs there is no difference.

I don't know about you guys but to me it's getting old the same thing year in and year out. I thought this team was heading into the right direction but after the last few weeks I'm just not sure anymore.

Somebody throw this team an offensive line already! :lol:

Edited by Frez

You know what's sad? Jason Peters is our best offensive lineman and he was an undrafted free agent. We have been drafting for the last 5-8 years and even in free agency and we can't find another solid offensive lineman? Even with Jim McNally coaching these slugs there is no difference.

I don't know about you guys but to me it's getting old the same thing year in and year out. I thought this team was heading into the right direction but after the last few weeks I'm just not sure anymore.

Somebody throw this team an offensive line already!  :lol:

818321[/snapback]

I was under the impression that McNally does his best work with low round rookies or UDFAs since these players have smaller egos(compared to high round picks) & therefore more willing to learn & change.....and they are not veteran FAs who have already developed.

The only players to fit that description since McNally got here(not including this year) are....

4th Preston

6th Geisinger

7th McFarland

UDFA Peters

Obviously they have to have the potential in the first place & maybe Geinsinger & McFarland just didn't have it.

Perhaps the new regime has been better at evaluating the raw talent....Pennington starting is certainly a cause of optimism. Perhaps also, Marv & Co. listened to what McNally wanted & thought to try & get him some 'raw materials' to work with by drafting 3 suitable players in the 5th+ rounds.

Edited by Dibs

The problems with our OLine have come in the passing game, and those problems have been by far the worst for us at LT and RG, with Gandy being charged with 5.5 sacks allowed and the duo of Chris Villarrial and Duke Preston giving up a combined 5 at RG. I think it was Jauron who said Reyes would be back in the starting lineup as soon as he's healed up, and that just means Gandy will move to the bench.

I seriously hope that when Reyes gets healthy, they put him at RG, because I agree that it's been a problem and Reyes played RG for the Panthers pretty well. I'm hoping that Jauron's prior relationship with Villarrial and the fact that he's an elder statesmen doesn't prevent them from making this move.

So Gandy has given up what 4.5, 5.5 sacks this year. 3.5 were given up in one game! I don't know why some Bills fans act as if he some revolving door to the Qb as he has held up pretty well against Taylor, Colvin, the Bears DE, etc. He is not a great prospect at LT he is not as bad as some make him out to be. While he might not excel at being able to consistently handle the quick players on the edge on an island he may be able to man down the guard position on the same side. I'm more concerned about RG as they have given up 5 sacks up the middle. Villareal is still starting; he is always hurt and if he isn't is suspect. If Reyes is healthy I'd rather see him or give Mertz a chance at RG and cut our ties with Villereal.

I thought this team was heading into the right direction but after the last few weeks I'm just not sure anymore.

818321[/snapback]

See, I have just the opposite take here. I haven't been sure this team was headed in the right direction until this overhaul of the OL. Just look what happened last year, when the Bills got off to a slow start Mularkey did everything he could to quick fix the problems with the team instead of actually trying to prepare the team to win in the future.

This OL reshuffle isn't going to result in any extra wins this year but it is going to tell us if Peters can play LT, if Gandy is a legit guard and is also going to give Pennington some much needed seasoning. All in all, this is a move that will help the team long term instead of short term. I haven't seen a Bills coach concerned about long term gains in a long, long time. It's kind of refreshing.

I have no idea if this regime will ever take the Bills to the promised land but this long term thinking has given me a little hope.

Somebody throw this team an offensive line already!  :lol:

818321[/snapback]

What's so sad about that? That's something to rejoice over in my book. Tom Brady was a 6th round draft choice. Is that sad? It doesn't matter where you're drafted, or even if you were drafted at all, what matter's is if you're a player and that's exactly what Peters is. Some guys just play better for money, I guess.

See, I have just the opposite take here.  I haven't been sure this team was headed in the right direction until this overhaul of the OL.  Just look what happened last year, when the Bills got off to a slow start Mularkey did everything he could to quick fix the problems with the team instead of actually trying to prepare the team to win in the future. 

This OL reshuffle isn't going to result in any extra wins this year but it is going to tell us if Peters can play LT, if Gandy is a legit guard and is also going to give Pennington some much needed seasoning.  All in all, this is a move that will help the team long term instead of short term.  I haven't seen a Bills coach concerned about long term gains in a long, long time.  It's kind of refreshing.

I have no idea if this regime will ever take the Bills to the promised land but this long term thinking has given me a little hope.

818371[/snapback]

Good post. You're right....even if Peters, Gandy & Pennington fail at their new positions, it means we will 'know' next off-season. Of course if they succeed.... :lol:

I think besides protecting JP's blindside better, the Bills were looking to improve the runblocking a bit. I believe they think Gandy is stronger at the point of attack than Reyes, which is why he's in there. Keep in mind, McNally has always liked Gandy, even at LT. By moving him to guard where quickness isn't that big a deal, they probably think he's going to be a good player.

I believe Gandy WILL be a good player at LG. I know many(including myself) are pissed about him totally whiffing on a few plays this year but LG is a different position. Both run and pass blocking may improve at LG and sure, maybe we can ease Reyes in for Villarial at RG as he gets healthy. LT's are very hard to find and not too many can play it. Remember when ALL PRO center Bruce Matthews had to play LT for a game against us and Bruce had 4 sacks? Great center, not too good LT. RT is where we should be worried.