The 1st objective sign of JP replacement would be:

Pyrite Gal

if the Bills moved Nall up to #2 on the depth chart and even this move would likely be done as a method of trying to pressure JP into performing better rather than a sign that the Bills are giving up on JP,

My guess is that the Bills judge the kniown commodity of Holcomb to be a better bet that Nall coming off the bench, but as the season prospects dim game after game then thoughts intelligemtly need to turn toward building for the future.

Anyway you cut it Holcomb is not the QB of the future for the Bills due to his being on the backsode of his career. While Nall has shown little to indicate he is a good prospect for the future, hr id sround his prime as an athlete and has shown some good work in extrmely limited duty as a back-up to Favre and in his injury shortened pre-season with the Bills (as well as some horrid plays as he attempted and failed to make up for his lost time).

Ae any rate, if the Bills have any desire not to let JP play, make errors and learn all this season, my guess is that they move Nall up to #2 to give him some more practice time and to put a little pressure on JP as a stimulator.

I think until we see this happen simply forget about the idea of us sitting JP unless he gets hurt or has some serious mid-game meltdown far worse than the fumbles this weekend.