Michael Schumacher Retires

meazza

i'm a big schumacher fan... rooting for him is like rooting for microsoft though. with that said, i went to the 2002 montreal grand prix and actually ate dinner with him after the race (which he won of course). he ate with like 2 guys at the hotel restaurant, and we sat at the table next to him. it was dead at the time so we all ended up getting together and chit chatting.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sm/news?slug=reu-r...uters&type=lgns

One of the greatest F1 pilots will retire at his last race which is coming up.  I know there are not many Formula 1 fans here but this is the retirement of a true legend.

815141[/snapback]

Maybe he'll try and catch on with a NASCAR team to see what real racing is like. ;)

i'm a big schumacher fan...  rooting for him is like rooting for microsoft though.  with that said, i went to the 2002 montreal grand prix and actually ate dinner with him after the race (which he won of course).  he ate with like 2 guys at the hotel restaurant, and we sat at the table next to him.  it was dead at the time so we all ended up getting together and chit chatting.

815196[/snapback]

It's interesting that Michael Schumacher, one of the best known and wealthiest celeberity/athletes (the discussion regarding whether or not race drivers are athletes is best saved for another discussion) can go anywhere he wants in public in North Amercia and few, if any people, will recognize him. Another example of Amercias ethnocentric worldview. It will be our ultimate downfall.

It's interesting that Michael Schumacher, one of the best known and wealthiest celeberity/athletes (the discussion regarding whether or not race drivers are athletes is best saved for another discussion) can go anywhere he wants in public in North Amercia and few, if any people, will recognize him.  Another example of Amercias ethnocentric worldview.  It will be our ultimate downfall.

815234[/snapback]

So not recognizing Michael Schumacher represents our ethnocentric worldview and will lead to our downfall? Thanks Nostridamus.

No one would recognize Michael Schumacher because F1 is not popular in the United States. No one would recognize Wayne Rooney or Ronaldinio either, because soccer is not as important here as it is overseas.

Do you think anyone would recognize Carson Palmer or Donovan McNabb is they were walking the streets of Berlin or London? I guess they are doomed too.

So not recognizing Michael Schumacher represents our ethnocentric worldview and will lead to our downfall? Thanks Nostridamus.

No one would recognize Michael Schumacher because F1 is not popular in the United States. No one would recognize Wayne Rooney or Ronaldinio either, because soccer is not as important here as it is overseas.

Do you think anyone would recognize Carson Palmer or Donovan McNabb is they were walking the streets of Berlin or London? I guess they are doomed too.

815279[/snapback]

Probably, although noticing the lack of Michael Schumachers recognizibility is essential to determine our ultimate fate. Reading many of the posts here would indicate that we, as a society, are most likely doomed to second call world citizenry.

Probably, although noticing the lack of Michael Schumachers recognizibility is essential to determine our ultimate fate.  Reading many of the posts here would indicate that we, as a society, are most likely doomed to second call world citizenry.

815286[/snapback]

I think that you are lending too much credibility to this board we have here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sm/news?slug=reu-r...uters&type=lgns

One of the greatest F1 pilots will retire at his last race which is coming up.  I know there are not many Formula 1 fans here but this is the retirement of a true legend.

815141[/snapback]

Sao Paulo was the last race, and he is retired.

I am a huge F1 fan, but I've never been a fan of the arrogant Aryan. While ya gotta admire the courage of anyone who straps himself onto an engine turning 17K RPM attached to 4 open tires and surrounded by fuel, I lost all respect after his stunt at Monte Carlo.

Schumacher had a great career, I'm glad he's retired, glad Alonso won the championship, glad Renault won the constructor's cup, and look forward to a great future for Robert Kubica and the BMW team.

As an F1 fan, you might enjoy watching this...

It's interesting that Michael Schumacher, one of the best known and wealthiest celeberity/athletes (the discussion regarding whether or not race drivers are athletes is best saved for another discussion) can go anywhere he wants in public in North Amercia and few, if any people, will recognize him.  Another example of Amercias ethnocentric worldview.  It will be our ultimate downfall.

815234[/snapback]

Could also be because the amjority of the time he is wearing a racing helmet where you don't see his face and in a car. I'm sure alot of Americans might be able to recognise his car if they saw it going down the streets in the US.

And to the poster who made reference to debating if drivers are athletes, no they are not, but that is just my opinion (it matters more only because it is my opinion 0:);) )

Could also be because the amjority of the time he is wearing a racing helmet where you don't see his face and in a car. I'm sure alot of Americans might be able to recognise his car if they saw it going down the streets in the US.

815374[/snapback]

I dunno - there's an awful lot of red Ferraris on the Scajaquada, but I'd probably recognize Schumacher's crooked, unctuous sneer as he blocked me. ;)

Sao Paulo was the last race, and he is retired.

I am a huge F1 fan, but I've never been a fan of the arrogant Aryan. While ya gotta admire the courage of anyone who straps himself onto an engine turing 17K RPM attached to  4 open tires and surrounded by fuel, I lost all respect after his stunt at Monte Carlo. 

Schumacher had a great career, I'm glad he's retired, glad Alonso won the championship, glad Renault won the constructor's cup, and look forward to a great future for Robert Kubica and the BMW team.

As an F1 fan, you might enjoy watching this...

815362[/snapback]

You mean when he tried to knock Villeneuve off the track? I'm not the biggest F1 fan but I do catch the occassional race. He is a step above the rest though and will go down as one of the greatest F1 pilots that ever existed right up there with the great Ayrton Senna and Gilles Villeneuve.

You mean when he tried to knock Villeneuve off the track?  I'm not the biggest F1 fan but I do catch the occassional race.  He is a step above the rest though and will go down  as one of the greatest F1 pilots that ever existed right up there with the great Ayrton Senna and Gilles Villeneuve.

815446[/snapback]

He'll certainly go down as one of the most successful F1 drivers, but his memory will be marred with incidents like the one with Jacques Villeneuve in '97 and this year's blatant cheating incident in Monaco...

Cheaters never prosper

I can't stand the prick!

Sorry.

He'll certainly go down as one of the most successful F1 drivers, but his memory will be marred with incidents like the one with Jacques Villeneuve in '97 and this year's blatant cheating incident in Monaco...

Cheaters never prosper

I can't stand the prick!

Sorry.

815489[/snapback]

;) It doesn`t really change anything for me. If he wasn`t racing for Ferrari, I`d probably hate the prick as well.

Anyways he had an interesting career and his title at Benetton shows that he wasn`t only good because of his car.

I could not beleive how big Formula 1 is in Southern France.  They are obsessed!

815471[/snapback]

Well the Monaco GP is amazing. When I go back to Europe, I`m going to take a tour of the famous city/race track.

815234[/snapback]

i assure you, he had 100% recognition in that hotel restaurant that night... my dad and i, the only other guests at the time, recognized him. What's really interesting is that more people would recognize Hulk Hogan than Ronald Reagan and Pope john paul II in the 80's (which was a time magazine survey at some point or another)...

i assure you, he had 100% recognition in that hotel restaurant that night...  my dad and i, the only other guests at the time, recognized him.  What's really interesting is that more people would recognize Hulk Hogan than Ronald Reagan and Pope john paul II in the 80's (which was a time magazine survey at some point or another)...

815717[/snapback]

You were in Montreal right? Montrealers adore Schumi. I remember hearing a story of when he was in the GP of USA and he got pulled over for speeding. He told the officer, I'm Michael Schumacher, a race car driver. The cop says, I'd let you go if you were Jeff Gordon or something but I have no idea who Michael Schumacher is :(:blink: .

You were in Montreal right?  Montrealers adore Schumi.  I remember hearing a story of when he was in the GP of USA and he got pulled over for speeding. He told the officer, I'm Michael Schumacher, a race car driver.  The cop says, I'd let you go if you were Jeff Gordon or something but I have no idea who Michael Schumacher is  :(  :blink: .

815731[/snapback]

I calling BS on that story. I beleive you heard it but I doubt it true