Hm, What exactly are....

crackur

What exactly are ex-employers allowed to say during a background investigation or check. (not as a reference)

It is employment vertification?

I was researching this because this question was asked on another site.......and there were many answers but I thought many of them were wrong

I don't know if it's different in other states, but in Georgia all they're allowed to say is 1) whether I was employed there, and if so how for what period of time, and 2) whether I am eligible for re-hire.

I don't know if it's different in other states, but in Georgia all they're allowed to say is 1) whether I was employed there, and if so how for what period of time, and 2) whether I am eligible for re-hire.

814692[/snapback]

Yeah, this is about all I have to tell them here in OR. Most of the time I tell them they are not eligible for re-hire. Ha, ha...j/k. <_<

yeah thats what I thought.........I wasn't sure on the rehire part because I don't remember any of the places I worked for say that......they usually only told me that they are only allowed to give out my dates......and they couldnt be refs hm

814692[/snapback]

And those laws, thanks to the liberal mindset that passed them - so worried about bad, bad business defaming an honest, if misunderstood worker, have caused a catastrophy.

It was decided that a person's reputation couldn't be held against him - SO unfair... SO discriminatory...;)

In the old days, you minded yourself in case you got bad recommendations. No job for you. Nowdays, you can lie, cheat, steal, fight, vandalize, and all your former employer can say when asked is "Yes, he worked here."

Result?

Companies end up hiring antisocial, devious basta*ds, who can't do the job, some of which when finally canned show up with a firearm and kill people. <_<

And those laws, thanks to the liberal mindset that passed them - so worried about bad, bad business defaming an honest, if misunderstood worker, have caused a catastrophy.

It was decided that a person's reputation couldn't be held against him - SO unfair... SO discriminatory...;)

In the old days, you minded yourself in case you got bad recommendations. No job for you. Nowdays, you can lie, cheat, steal, fight, vandalize, and all your former employer can say when asked is "Yes, he worked here."

Result?

Companies end up hiring antisocial, devious basta*ds, who can't do the job, some of which when finally canned show up with a firearm and kill people. <_<

814729[/snapback]

lol

I just know I'm not eligible for rehire for my last job, since it was mutual resignation. I said I had problems with my car, they didnt like hearing that......so the agreement was made blah.......

I just wonder if not being eligible for rehire would hurt me.........cos honestly, they could pay me twice as much and I wouldnt want to work there again with how they work.

I mean I dont even know if they ask that question over here in VA.

the job I recently got did a background investigation and they never said anything. I just work.

However, I applied for another job thurs (with the state), called me back for fingerprints, copies of my all my stuff on fri.....and now its on to the bg check or investigation. I'm sure it will be thorough.

Actually you are wrong folks.  Acompany can say whatever they want however, they had better be able to back it with documentation, if they get sued.

814739[/snapback]

actually you are wrong, when you sign for employment, you also sign in most cases that you know that they can/will not give information about you out such as references

or thats atleast all the employment I ever had did

lol

I just know I'm not eligible for rehire for my last job, since it was mutual resignation. I said I had problems with my car, they didnt like hearing that......so the agreement was made blah.......

I just wonder if not being eligible for rehire would hurt me.........cos honestly, they could pay me twice as much and I wouldnt want to work there again with how they work.

I mean I dont even know if they ask that question over here in VA.

the job I recently got did a background investigation and they never said anything. I just work.

However, I applied for another job thurs (with the state), called me back for fingerprints, copies of my all my stuff on fri.....and now its on to the bg check or investigation. I'm sure it will be thorough.

814761[/snapback]

People in HR know that things happen....if I were you, I'd hit it head on during the interview process as opposed to just letting them potentially finding out on their own. I'll give you an example that I'm actually going through myself:

Two years ago I moved to Gainesville, GA where my family (mom, dad, and grandmother) live. My mother had been in a near-fatal car accident, and during the ER visit they found that she was just loaded with cancer. She was given a terminal diagnosis with an indefinite time frame. Anyway, I resigned my job, sold my house, and moved home so that I could both help out with her care (I'm in the medical field) and spend whatever time I could with her.

There is a hospital system right near home that I applied to. I accepted a position and began my orientation. Now I can take care of just about any patient you put in front of me, regardless of diagnosis. But this was the first time I was ever faced with someone in my immediate family being hit with something like this. Instead of going for a part time position and making sure I could handle everything, I ended up trying to work full time while also trying to help my mom recover from her accident and figure out how to go at the cancer thing. Needless to say, I ended up messing shifts and was subsequently asked to resign.

Now that things are more stable with my mom, and I have made sure I have proper support, I've decided to work a more consistent full-time schedule, and I'm actually trying to get back into this same hospital system here in Gainesville. I just wrote the HR dept a letter, got myself in the door for an interview, and I just confirmed last Friday that they are actually contacting my references and verifying what I've been doing for the past two years since that experience. I can't say with 100% certainty that I'm back with them yet, but I did look the recruiter in the eye and explain all that was going on with my family two years ago, how I felt as though the blame should be placed on my shoulders for not better assessing my ability to follow through on my work obligations, and my desire to do whatever I can to prove my worth to them.

Now believe me, this it's pretty rare that I do something like this in an interview. Like many others on here, I worked my ass off to have a resume that stands out from other applicants. But I do very much believe in going after what you want and not taking 'no' for an answer, and in this case it was necessary to throw myself on the stake in order to accomplish that. So that's what I did.

So I guess my point is that the more light you can shed on your situation, the better it will look to your prospective employer - at least when it's something you're pretty sure they could find out on their own. <_<

Not sure if it's a law or just a general rule companies follow in NY, but I know previous employers have told me all they can do is say yes/no I worked there and when. Nothing about postion I had or work I did, or anything in my record could be brought up.

actually you are wrong, when you sign for employment, you also sign in most cases that you know that they can/will not give information about you out such as references

or thats atleast all the employment I ever had did

814765[/snapback]

Sorry you're wrong.

http://www.ppspublishers.com/articles/n/ar...ky_business.htm

I go through fvcking management training every fvcking year, and we have to learn HR rules, etc... As a company our policy is that only project managers and HR give references on prior employees, just to limit our exposure. As far as what's said we do not say anything that is not in their employee's record. So if an employee had some letter of reprimand, we will tell a referencing employer about them. Especially in the case that the new reference is for a security clearance.

Sorry you're wrong. 

http://www.ppspublishers.com/articles/n/ar...ky_business.htm

I go through fvcking management training every fvcking year, and we have to learn HR rules, etc...  As a company our policy is that only project managers and HR give references on prior employees, just to limit our exposure.  As far as what's said we do not say anything that is not in their employee's record.  So if an employee had some letter of reprimand, we will tell a referencing employer about them.  Especially in the case that the new reference is for a security clearance.

814819[/snapback]

This is just software

and the next thing, if you can read you will notice I said, its not a reference but a bg check or investigation

sheesh, dont get ur panties in a knot, it was just a question lol.........ur too olddddddddddd to be getting uptight

without reading the rest of the posts and to risk being repeated...employers are allowed to tell the dates of employ and whether or not they are eligible for rehire...that is about it afaik, of course they can also ask about race, creed and religion if they want..and i believe they can base their decision on skin color....I'm just sayin'

What exactly are ex-employers allowed to say during a background investigation or check. (not as a reference)

It is employment vertification?

I was researching this because this question was asked on another site.......and there were many answers but I thought many of them were wrong

814689[/snapback]