Discouraged Wilson says Bills owe fans better effo

fbzh2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

' But I can't help but look back and say that at my age, I threw five years away."

814315[/snapback]

Despite all the purple prose from the writer, it was a worthwile read for this quote alone. That's about as damning a thing for an owner to say about a GM as you can get.

It doesn't matter how much he spends on the team, that isn't the point. If it was the Redskins would be handed the trophy every year.

814372[/snapback]

Nobody said you can just throw money around. Obviously you have to spend the money wisely but it does matter how much money you spend. Do you seriously think the NFL would be as consistently competitive year in and year out WITHOUT a salary cap? A team that spends wisely and uses the entire cap is likely to be better than a team that spends wisely and uses only 80% of it.

Then open up the wallet and hire some talent in the front office.

We endured the Wade Phillips era

We endured the Tom Donahoe era that brought us such wonderful coaches as Greg Williams and Mike Mularkey

I love Marv Levy and all, but I think his time has passed.

:doh:

814329[/snapback]

Care to remind anyone what Wade Phillips W-L record was?

Nobody said you can just throw money around.  Obviously you have to spend the money wisely but it does matter how much money you spend.  Do you seriously think the NFL would be as consistently competitive year in and year out WITHOUT a salary cap?  A team that spends wisely and uses the entire cap is likely to be better than a team that spends wisely and uses only 80% of it.

814414[/snapback]

Well Baseball doesn't have a cap and recently some of the more successful teams have not even been close to spending near what the top spending teams are paying. Then thers Hockey, last year the Sabres had one of the lowest Payrolls in the league and they ended up as one of the best teams in the league.

It doesn't matter how much you spend, what matters is the talent you have and that they can play together as a team.

Well Baseball doesn't have a cap and recently some of the more successful teams have not even been close to spending near what the top spending teams are paying. Then thers Hockey, last year the Sabres had one of the lowest Payrolls in the league and they ended up as one of the best teams in the league.

It doesn't matter how much you spend, what matters is the talent you have and that they can play together as a team.

814428[/snapback]

Yeah, the Yankees, Red Sox and Braves haven't been consistantly good. It doesn't buy you a championship but if you spend wisely it gives you a chance at one most years.

How do you hold together a good team if money doesn't matter? You'll end up being the Expos, a team that had one of the best farm systems around and could never hold onto their young talent.

Again, I'm not saying simply spending will win you anything. But it gives teams an advantage. I'm really not sure how you could argue otherwise.

Yeah, the Yankees, Red Sox and Braves haven't been consistantly good.  It doesn't buy you a championship but if you spend wisely it gives you a chance at one most years.

How do you hold together a good team if money doesn't matter?  You'll end up being the Expos, a team that had one of the best farm systems around and could never hold onto their young talent.

Again, I'm not saying simply spending will win you anything.  But it gives teams an advantage.  I'm really not sure how you could argue otherwise.

814433[/snapback]

Because your making it sound like because this team is under the cap by 10 mil, thats the reason they are not competitive. Ralph has typically spent to the cap every year, and maybe this year it wasn't worth it to spend to the cap cause the quality might not have been there.

ho could we have gotten with that extra 10 that would have made this team better?

So true.

I really hope for Ralph's sake (and ours) that he gets to see this thing turned around -- not to mention a Super Bowl championship.

[Those Super Bowl years seem so far away now.]

814318[/snapback]

Like he deserves it. It's his frugality when it comes to GMs and coaches that has us in this mess.

Because your making it sound like because this team is under the cap by 10 mil, thats the reason they are not competitive. Ralph has typically spent to the cap every year, and maybe this year it wasn't worth it to spend to the cap cause the quality might not have been there.

ho could we have gotten with that extra 10 that would have made this team better?

814438[/snapback]

I'm not making it sound like that reason alone is the reason we're not competitive. I'm saying that ownership and management aren't doing EVERYTHING they can to make the team better. Wilson shouldn't go pointing fingers at someone else if he's not doing everything he can do make the team better.

Also, go back to my first post in this thread for a response on "who we could have gotten with the extra 10 million to make this team better."

In addition to the info you'll find there I'd say they could have overspent on a few FAs this year, Pickett comes to mine and so does Bentley. If you're not going to spend up to the cap in a given year it doesn't really matter if a "player isn't worth it". The Bills could have frontloaded either of those players money into this year and had virtually the same cap situation that they currently do in subsequent years. Neither of these moves would have made the team much better this year, but it's a start in the right direction.

Getting an extra quality player or two each offseason adds up quickly and pretty soon the team is competitive. You can't build the foundation of your team through free agency but you can certainly make your team incrementally better. Given the fact that there isn’t a huge discrepancy between good teams (in terms of talent) getting incrementally better can be quite beneficial.

Looks like it's time for Ralph to start making personell decisions again.

You forced your staff to bench Losman last year (gee I wonder why the coach left), you forced your staff to start RobJohnson in a road playoff game (gee I wonder why the coach left), now maybe it's time to start asserting your authority and force Jauron to bench Losman again (gee I wonder how long it will be until Jauron is gone).

The Bills may owe the fans a better effort, but so do you Ralph.

How about Marv? Do we have the right to expect more from our GM?

814472[/snapback]

I'm not sure how much I have to say about Marv yet. He did some of the things in the offseason that needed to be done (added some talent at DT, addressed the interior of the Bills OLine) but then he also cuts Lawyer Milloy, creating a hole he needed to address which he did by focusing his draft on DB's. :doh:

He also hired some more coaches who had to bring in their own systems which leads to personell changes to "fit" the system. All of which will have to be overhauled once again when these coaches lose thier jobs because they can't make adjustments and maximize their available assets. I'm tired of these paint-by-numbers coaches and wish the Bills would just hire somebody who can work well with what they have.

Then we see him talking about character one minute and then the next minute he's giving huge money to wankers like Peerless Price. Not to mention trading away a draft pick for a guy who went AWOL on his last team without even giving them a head's up. And if he felt the Bills needed a DE that bad he could have traded down in the draft, picked up an extra pick and drafted Tamba Hali and still had more picks to address the OL and DT positions.

I'm not particularly thrilled with his work so far but I'm willing to hold my tongue for another offseason. If he continues the way he's been though I hope the Bills send him on his way.