Expectations? Complaints =

slothrop

I hate looking at TSW after a game like this because I know how all the topics will read? The topics generally cover the following topics:

- "Does JP Have it"

- "Team Does Not Have Heart"

- "Offense Lacks Identity"

- "JP Sucks"

- "OL Sucks"

- "Juron Sucks"

- blah, blah, blah

I think these complaints reflect unrealistic expectations for this team. I did not expect more than 4-5 wins for this season given the cluster-!@#$ that was the last 5-years.

Given my feelings about the team, here is what I expected goin in to this season and my thoughts on how we are meeting those expectations:

- slow steady improvement as the season progresses: I expected that the Bills in week 17 would be better than the Bills in week 1. It is begining to look like things are unraveling. However, for a young team, it is unrealistic not to expect bumps. Here is the test, can they dig themselves out of this funk and string together 2-3 wins? If they do, they can build some character and identity going into next season. This is critically important to me. In a way, the last three weeks may be a blessing in disguise because it gives this team the opportunity to look within itself and ressurrect itself.

- JP steady improvement. Pretty much everything I said about the team applies to JP. However, I am very concerned that he reads defenses too slow. By the time he figures out who to throw to he is already beat, meaning the WR is no longer open, sack, int, or bad decision. I am hoping that with all the gametime reps he is getting he will start processing quicker.

- Defense: I expected the defense to suck against the run, but be able to put pressure on the Qb with their quick front four. This has been an utter failure and is the biggest reason for our team sucking. We get no pass rush which places our CB's on islands. McGee is not good enough to cover Roy Williams for that long. Our secondary needs a CONSISTANT pass rush. We just do not have the players to do it.

Is that too much to expect that they'd play with a little heart?  :P

813998[/snapback]

I hate that complaint because how do we know?

Because the players are not yelling and screaming? I think anyone who says this never played sports competatively. I think this is a team that does not have the personel to compete - it is just that simple.

So, what do we do? You must build upon small successes, which will build character, which will turn into winning (with a few personel changes as well). This is a very important year for the Bills. Even though they may only win 5 games, the issue is, can the rebound from adversity? That is why I think the last three games could be blessings in disguise. It provides this team with the opportunity to build the character necessary to win next season.

I hate that complaint because how do we know?

Because the players are not yelling and screaming?

814003[/snapback]

For one thing, when the D or kick-off team is in the tunnel endzone....they turn around and flap their arms to get the stadium going to make some noise. After NE went up 14-3 we didn't see any of that.

For one thing, when the D or kick-off team is in the tunnel endzone....they turn around and flap their arms to get the stadium going to make some noise. After NE went up 14-3 we didn't see any of that.

814025[/snapback]

And my point is that your observations does not mean the team lacks heart. I think the team needs to learn how to rebound from these dark times. That will build character which will lead to the behavior you want to see.

Fans expect this team to get from point A to point D without experiencing point's B or C. Part of the rebuilding process is losing and learning how to rebound. I will feel very optomistic about next season if this team can rebound from these past three games with additional help on the OL and DL in the off-season.

And my point is that your observations does not mean the team lacks heart. I think the team needs to learn how to rebound from these dark times. That will build character which will lead to the behavior you want to see.

Fans expect this team to get from point A to point D without experiencing point's B or C. Part of the rebuilding process is losing and learning how to rebound. I will feel very optomistic about next season if this team can rebound from these past three games with additional help on the OL and DL in the off-season.

814499[/snapback]

Couldn't it be argued that if the team "needs to learn how to rebound from these dark times" but the even VETERANS have stopped trying to get the fans behind them, that maybe - just maybe, it is because they lack heart?

Are you kidding? So if you expected 0 - 16 - you would be OK with the level of play put forth by the team? Losing to better talent is what I expect and is totally acceptable, however, losing when the team shows little heart, and poor discipline is cause for getting up in arms... It really looks like some of the Bill's have already run for the bus this year....

Are you kidding?  So if you expected 0 - 16 - you would be OK with the level of play put forth by the team?  Losing to better talent is what I expect and is totally acceptable, however, losing when the team shows little heart, and poor discipline is cause for getting up in arms...  It really looks like some of the Bill's have already run for the bus this year....

814515[/snapback]

I know this is not directed at me, but I like this thread. :(

After the team disintegrated in 2005, I expected something around 5-11 in 2006. Yes, that sucks, but my expectations were lowered.

BUT, although my win/loss expectations were lowered, I never lowered my expectations of the players or coaches. Call it rebuilding, call it adjusting to new coaching and management, call it whatever you want.

I call it football. I expect 60 minutes of 100% effort out of everyone from the third string bench warmer to the general manager!

I expect that when the team takes the field, they have the full intention of winning. If any member of this organization expects anything less, than get the hell out of town. <_<

p.s. Harriett RULES! ;)

- slow steady improvement as the season progresses

813980[/snapback]

You know what I hate continually reading on TBD ?

That work in progress nonsense. They were better a month ago than they are now. This staff isn't giving J.P. more and more freedom to do his thing (whatever that may be) and the team is not improving as the new schemes become more familiar.

They can do a little buisness on the ground, the kid can make all the throws. The defense will put up decent sack numbers and there will be enough three and outs to make games interesting. They are what they are.

It is not a work in progress, IT IS HERDING CATS. Some weeks, when Jauron and company have them under thumb, there won't be the mind numbing mental mistakes that have washed this season's hope away. Don't mistake these brief occurences as gradual improvement. It will be them playing as they possibly could have from from day one.

You know what I hate continually reading on TBD ?

That work in progress nonsense. They were better a month ago than they are now. This staff isn't giving J.P. more and more freedom to do his thing (whatever that may be) and the team is not improving as the new schemes become more familiar.

They can do a little buisness on the ground, the kid can make all the throws. The defense will put up decent sack numbers and there will be enough three and outs to make games interesting. They are what they are.

It is not a work in progress, IT IS HERDING CATS. Some weeks, when Jauron and company have them under thumb, there won't be the mind numbing mental mistakes that have washed this season's hope away. Don't mistake these brief occurences as gradual improvement. It will be them playing as they possibly could have from from day one.

814864[/snapback]

I think people are misinterpreting my poorly written post. My point was that I think many of the "over the top" reactions seen on TSW (i.e. fire Juron, bench JP, start A-train, etc) can only be produced by people with unrealistic expectations going into the season.

My expectation for the season was, at most, five wins. However, I expected to see steady improvement throughout the season - i.e rebuilding.

My expectations have not been met. The team is taking steps backwards. However, the only silver lining I hold onto is that if (and it is a big "if") this team can turn it around and rebound from the last three horid games, they may find that they have the character necessary to win games when better personel is added. If this happens, these three games may be a blessing in disguise.

However, I am not optimistic that they can turn it around. THey have little veteran leadership on offense which I think is very important in coming back after a bad stretch of games. The defense does have veteran leadership, but I think the deficincies in personel are too much to overcome.

Slothrop,

Lets be clear. Just because you expected this team to suck and they met your expectations doesn't mean they don't suck. They do.

If the standard for the season was improvement, then that has clearly not been met. We were 3-4 after 7 games last year, and our team is headed in the wrong direction.

As for the specific topics,

I don't think too many people here want to see A-Train start, but calling out McGahee's play is within reason.

A full season of starts for JP and it's fair to expect him to show more than he has.

So, we agree. We love the Bills but they suck.

;)<_<

Slothrop,

Lets be clear.  Just because you expected this team to suck and they met your expectations doesn't mean they don't suck.  They do. 

If the standard for the season was improvement, then that has clearly not been met.  We were 3-4 after 7 games last year, and our team is headed in the wrong direction.

As for the specific topics,

I don't think too many people here want to see A-Train start, but calling out McGahee's play is within reason.

A full season of starts for JP and it's fair to expect him to show more than he has.

815118[/snapback]

My expectation for the season was, at most, five wins. However, I expected to see steady improvement throughout the season - i.e rebuilding.

815036[/snapback]

Low, low expectation. Teams can win five games by accident.

The second expectation is the one that always puzzles me. We let losing teams of the hook with that type of rationalization -- it wouldn't be a phrase used if the Bills were the 4-3 they could be playing the same sort of ball.

Did the Dolphins steadily improve last year when they finished winnig six straight ? Mullarky's Bills pulled a similar trick to go 9-7. Both meaningless in terms of rebuilding.

- Defense: I expected the defense to suck against the run, but be able to put pressure on the Qb with their quick front four. This has been an utter failure and is the biggest reason for our team sucking. We get no pass rush which places our CB's on islands. McGee is not good enough to cover Roy Williams for that long. Our secondary needs a CONSISTANT pass rush. We just do not have the players to do it.

813980[/snapback]

I expected 8-8 and I'm very dissapointed. Mostly in the offense and coaching. The play calling has been Mularkey-like horrible. The offense can only score 17 or less points no matter who we play. When we play good teams like the patsies in the 1st game, we get 17. When we play a team with a good defense, like Minn., we score 17. When we play a team with a bad defense like the Fish, we score 17 or so. In the last couple of games we can't even do that.

Earlier in the year the team was fired up and playing above their ablilites. Now, I don't see that anymore.

Bit i gotta take exception to your comment about the defense. By past Bills Defense standards they're not that good. But heck, they are a good defense. Not great, but certainly good enough to play on a winning team. When you're offense can only muster 14 pts. per game, it's hard to win unless you got the Bears defense or something.