Bottom 5...

The Bills are on the cusp however.  Let's not forget that they lost to a really good team.

813303[/snapback]

It's not so much that they lost, but how they lost - or rather how they keep finding ways to beat themselves with stupid penalities, turnovers, bonehead playcalling, etc., etc. - whether to a good team like NE or Chicago, or a winless team like Detroit.

I thought they had the talent to hang in there with the Pats today, but the Bills absolutely self-destructed and beat themselves, and it started almost from the opening kickoff with NE's methodical TD drive, Kelsay's stupid roughing penalty on the next drive, JP's turnovers, return coverage, missed tackles, clock management, playcalling, etc.

We are a bad football team right now. I don't know how much worse it can get. We'd have to beat GB, Houston, and Miami just to match last season's record - right now I'm not very confident we can.

Maybe bottom 5, but the thing that's killer is the mistakes. When these guys get into a rhythm they actually can do some damage. Most will disagree with me here but there is talent. I think JP is talented, the receivers to an extent are talented and there are times when everything is rolling. The thing is, for the defense, they come up with a big stop and then a killer penalty is taken. On offense, the team marches down to the 30 only to be hit with a holding call, a sack that puts them out of range, or a bad decision to go for it instead of taking easy points early on.

The thing that disturbs me is that these guys are playing frustrated and that inevitably leads to a culture of regression, of not learning, of leaning on one's worst tendencies.

I really hope they take some time over the bye week to

1) heal

2) forget this terrible storm that happened (and I do think it affected them more than the Sabres who were able to just keep playing through and hit the road for a bit)

3) remember just what it was they were trying to do in the first place

3a) analyze intensely what hasn't worked and what has worked, and install some of the things that have been lacking, particularly in the offense. As we head into the second half, it has to be all about getting Willis the football and letting him do things outside, catching the ball, and taking all the pressure off the QB. This is possible and I believe it. But everyone's gotta be dedicated and the mistakes HAVE to be minimized.

This is all about learning, on the part of the coaching staff and on the part of the players. The worst thing about the Mularkey regime was that this never happened and easy solutions were reached for. I really hope this new staff is more aware. And I really hope JP gets some of his confidence back and realizes this is all about learning. The team needs him to learn and not to get shaken.

Go Bills, even when you make the day hurt. Get your act together and start small with a win against the Packers.