Legal Question:

As a lawyer and I can tell you if the settlement is "pure personal injury", that is reimbursement for medical expenses incurred and pain and suffering it is not taxable. Any aspect of the settlement or verdict that is for lost wages would be taxable. Some of the distinctions are complicated. However, if you had a lawyer representing you, he or she should have the settlement crafted in a way that all payments are pure personal injury.

As an aside, the insurance company has to follow the rules too. They can only send you a 1099 if the settlement is taxable.

You can PM me if you need more info.

Depends on the verdict.  Compensatory damages are taxable.  Punitive are not.

Who won the judgement against you?  Hope you had insurance.

58497[/snapback]

Sorry GG. It's the other way around. Compensatory damages are not taxable, punitives are. Compensatory damages are meant to put the plaintiff in as near a position as possible to that state he/she was in prior to the incident. As such, they are generally not taxable, because they are not income. Punitives, on the other hand, are meant to punish the defendant, not to provide a benefit to the plaintiff (although obviously they do). Punitives are taxable, because they are akin to income in the sense that they represent extra money given to the plaintiff after the plaintiff has already been made whole.

Sorry GG.  It's the other way around.  Compensatory damages are not taxable, punitives are.  Compensatory damages are meant to put the plaintiff in as near a position as possible to that state he/she was in prior to the incident.  As such, they are generally not taxable, because they are not income.  Punitives, on the other hand, are meant to punish the defendant, not to provide a benefit to the plaintiff (although obviously they do).  Punitives are taxable, because they are akin to income in the sense that they represent extra money given to the plaintiff after the plaintiff has already been made whole.

58640[/snapback]

That would make sense, although I thought that compensatory damages are taxable since they represent the compensation for lost wages & earnings due to the accident (thus taxable)

Sorry GG.  It's the other way around.  Compensatory damages are not taxable, punitives are.  Compensatory damages are meant to put the plaintiff in as near a position as possible to that state he/she was in prior to the incident.  As such, they are generally not taxable, because they are not income.  Punitives, on the other hand, are meant to punish the defendant, not to provide a benefit to the plaintiff (although obviously they do).  Punitives are taxable, because they are akin to income in the sense that they represent extra money given to the plaintiff after the plaintiff has already been made whole.

58640[/snapback]

Compensatory damages can be taxable if they are for lost wages, breack of contract, or almost any other damage other than pure personal injury.

As for punitive damages, some state statutes require a percentage of punitives to actually go to the state treasury. Georgia immediately comes to mind.

oh no, not me. A family member. And it was 2 years ago. Settlement should be soon now, and I was just wondering.

58890[/snapback]

Your family members should be ok on taxes. It should not be taxable. But discuss it with the lawyer to be sure.

By the way, when it is taxable, you have to pay taxes on your lawyer's share too. Just one of the many reasons why it is not really good to do business litigation on contingency fees.

Your family members should be ok on taxes.  It should not be taxable.  But discuss it with the lawyer to be sure.

By the way, when it is taxable, you have to pay taxes on your lawyer's share too.  Just one of the many reasons why it is not really good to do business litigation on contingency fees.

58895[/snapback]

Does the lawyer also have to pay taxes on his share? Seems the government would be collecting twice!

Does the lawyer also have to pay taxes on his share?  Seems the government would be collecting twice!

58902[/snapback]

Yes, the lawyer does. In fact, taxes might be paid two and three times. The law firm pays taxes on firm income that was not paid out in wages and the lawyer also pays taxes on his or her income. There are ways to set up the law firm to avoid the double tax though.

As a lawyer and I can tell you if the settlement is "pure personal injury", that is reimbursement for medical expenses incurred and pain and suffering it is not taxable.  Any aspect of the settlement or verdict that is for lost wages would be taxable.  Some of the distinctions are complicated.  However, if you had a lawyer representing you, he or she should have the settlement crafted in a way that all payments are pure personal injury.

As an aside, the insurance company has to follow the rules too.  They can only send you a 1099 if the settlement is taxable.

You can PM me  if you need more info.

58566[/snapback]

I defend personal injury actions and the counselor is 100% correct

ok, here we go:

car accident. Hospital for a week. Major scarring on one leg. TMJ and constant headaches as a result. Not suing at all for lose wages.

58876[/snapback]

TMJ is a controversial diagnosis. It tends towards a malady generally unrelated to trauma, called temporal arteritis. I'll take a guess that this is a suit against an insurer.