Duke University makes a crude cloaking device.

It deflects light similar to a mirage in the desert and hides the object from view. A more sophisticated version is in the works.

Sorry no link. You'll have to google it.

811143[/snapback]

Does it work even when you are firing your phasers and photon torpedos too? :lol:

Photo

Your microwave will never see you getting the Orville Redenbacher.

811723[/snapback]

I know it is still in the early phase and it appears really cool... Yet, if it reflects light like a mirror... Won't the observer know that something is there?

What I am saying is that if you look at the your link (the "cloaking cloak" :blink: )... You see the image in the coat or cloak that is in front of the person... In the arm you don't see the person on the bike.

Will they have to find a way to put the "back" image on the area that is intended to be hidden? What if things are not static and constently moving?

This stuff sounds way cool and straight out of a RoadRunner cartoon... Remember how the Willy E. Coyote he would try and fool the roadrunner into going over a cliff that would actually be a painting that looked like an extension of the road... ;):lol: Actually, it would work for the RoadRunner, but not so good for Willy!!

Beep Beep!!

I know it is still in the early phase and it appears really cool... Yet, if it reflects light like a mirror... Won't the observer know that something is there?

What I am saying is that if you look at the your link (the "cloaking cloak" :lol: )... You see the image in the coat or cloak that is in front of the person... In the arm you don't see the person on the bike.

Will they have to find a way to put the "back" image on the area that is intended to be hidden?  What if things are not static and constently moving?

This stuff sounds way cool and straight out of a RoadRunner cartoon... Remember how the Willy E. Coyote he would try and fool the roadrunner into going over a cliff that would actually be a painting that looked like an extension of the road... :(  :(  Actually, it would work for the RoadRunner, but not so good for Willy!!

Beep Beep!!

811751[/snapback]

I've been had!!! Fake Foto! ;)

"University Of Tokyo student Kazutoshi Obana dons his version of a cloak of invisibility, using optical camouflage technology, in 2003. U.S. and British researchers have announced their own method of making an object partially invisible by passing microwaves and radar waves over its surface. AP PHOTO"

Oh, the humanity! :blink:

What I am saying is that if you look at the your link (the "cloaking cloak" biggrin.gif )... You see the image in the coat or cloak that is in front of the person... In the arm you don't see the person on the bike.

If you read the article that someone linked to, it appears (to me) that indeed this 'cloak' bends light AROUND the object, so that you do "see" what's behind it. Ergo, the applicability of like bending "radio" signals around a building.

If you read the article that someone linked to, it appears (to me) that indeed this 'cloak' bends light AROUND the object, so that you do "see" what's behind it.  Ergo, the applicability of like bending "radio" signals around a building.

811826[/snapback]

Yes. It gets transmitted, not reflected. Onlyist thing is the current material technologies only do this in the microwave spectrum - not in the visible light spectrum. Not bad though for five months development. In 20 years technology will be so advanced that I'll be able to hide from my wife on Sundays! :blink: Of course in 20 years I won't have enough memory left to remember how to turn the damned thing on OR off. ;)

If you read the article that someone linked to, it appears (to me) that indeed this 'cloak' bends light AROUND the object, so that you do "see" what's behind it.  Ergo, the applicability of like bending "radio" signals around a building.

811826[/snapback]

Thanks!

Sounds cool... I didn't go to the link... Looked at Nankers picture...

Egads, sorry... I fell for the nice "shiny" objects first!

My bad...

Yes. It gets transmitted, not reflected. Onlyist thing is the current material technologies only do this in the microwave spectrum - not in the visible light spectrum. Not bad though for five months development. In 20 years technology will be so advanced that I'll be able to hide from my wife on Sundays!  :lol:  Of course in 20 years I won't have enough memory left to remember how to turn the damned thing on OR off.  :D

811836[/snapback]

:(:(

I have a feeling that it will be (the scenario you described) right out of a Jimmy Neutron cartoon...

Does anybody get the notion that I either watch too many cartoons or have young kids?...

:blink:;)