Amos Lee - Anyone Paying Attention Yet?

ajzepp

I'm usually the one asking about music on here, but I feel compelled to try and encourage you guys to give this guy a listen.

Last year I was watching a chick flick called "Just Like Heaven". There was a song toward the end that I thought was just awesome. I looked through the credits and found that it was called "Colors", performed by Amos Lee. Never herad of him, but took a chance on his album and immediately found myself really into what this guy was doing.

A month or so ago, a friend of mine who owns one of the more popular concert venues here in Atlanta calls me up and tells me that Amos accepted his offer to play here, so I immedately picked up some tickets. (This is also the main reason Lanak6 came to play last week.) Anyway, as much as I love his (now) two CDs, his concert was ridiculous! The guy played for two hours straight and had the whole place captivated.

His second album came out just prior to last Thursday's concert, and it debuted at 73 on Billboard's hot 200. His self-titled debut release last year peaked at like 114, so people are starting to catch on.

As a starting point for anyone interested, give a listen to one or more of the following tracks if you get a minute and want to hear some good stuff....

1st Album: "Colors", "Arms of a Woman", "Bottom of the Barrel"

2nd Album: "Sympathize", "Careless", "The Wind", "Night Train"

He's from my adopted home town of Philly, used to be a kindergarden teacher, and got his start with Norah Jones. The guy writes ALL his own sh--, too, which I have a lot of respect for.

Don't mean to gush over the guy, but I know a lot of you can relate to the feeling of finding an artist that you just really connect with.

website is www.amoslee.com

what kind of music?

810396[/snapback]

It's kind of a soul/rock/folk type of sound....not sure that helps, but what can I say? lol

Most of his tracks sound pretty different from the others, which is something I really dig about the guy. Here is a blurb from billboard:

"Singer/songwriter Amos Lee draws inspiration from such soul and folk artists of the '70s as Bill Withers, John Prine, Neil Young, and James Taylor. The Philadelphia native first became serious about performing while attending the University of South Carolina during the mid-'90s. After graduating, the English major taught elementary school before deciding to pursue a music career full-time. A period of waiting tables and bartending followed as Lee honed his songwriting skills. Eventually, he landed some high-profile opening-slot gigs including an extended tour with pianist/vocalist Norah Jones. He released his eponymous debut album on Blue Note in 2005. Supply And Demand followed in 2006. ~ Matt Collar, All Music Guide"

Is that the one with Steve Martin and Rick Moranis?  Hilarious!!

810418[/snapback]

I think that was 'My Blue Heaven' :P And I agree, it was friggin hilarious :lol:

This one was a moderately tolerable chick flick that was sort of like "Ghost", but much more light-hearted. I happen to find Reese Witherspoon really hot, so she made it worth it :lol:

I think that was 'My Blue Heaven' :P  And I agree, it was friggin hilarious :lol: 

This one was a moderately tolerable chick flick that was sort of like "Ghost", but much more light-hearted. I happen to find Reese Witherspoon really hot, so she made it worth it  :lol:

810421[/snapback]

Oh, I remember that movie. The one with her in the apartment, right?

That movie was great :lol:

Oh, I remember that movie.  The one with her in the apartment, right?

That movie was great :P

810428[/snapback]

You being sarcastic? Do I need to smack you on the way to smacking Meazza? :lol:

No, I'm being serious.  It was a very cool flick. :lol:

810430[/snapback]

Ah okay, cool :P Yeah, I thought it was good for a chick flick. Ruffalo is usually good in most of the stuff he does, and I think Reese is unbelievably cute.

Much better than that piece of crap, "The Break-Up". Saw that the other night and nearly had to vomit.

But it's on HD-DVD.... :P

810434[/snapback]

Maybe you'll like it better than I did. I was just excited to see Vince Vaughn and John Favreau back in the same flick. They had a couple of really good scenes together, but I HATED the rest of the flick. It takes place in Chicago, though, and the SD transfer was pretty good, so it should look nice in HD :lol:

Maybe you'll like it better than I did. I was just excited to see Vince Vaughn and John Favreau back in the same flick. They had a couple of really good scenes together, but I HATED the rest of the flick. It takes place in Chicago, though, and the SD transfer was pretty good, so it should look nice in HD :P

810437[/snapback]

Oh my goodness....this movie SUCKED! I'm only giving it 1/2 stars out of 5. :lol: