The Faces of Meth

millbank

They had a special on the Discovery Channel last on Meth.  Very frightening sheeit

810172[/snapback]

Heh, a lot of what the media does say when it comes to drugs is overblown. They tend to show only the worst cases that they can find. It creates great drama though and gets people watching.

Peter Jennings had an excellent primetime report on Ecstasy, which you can watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6PHhOZ32g

If you are interested in this sort of thing, the best website that I've found so far on the web is Erowid's. Their section dedicated to Meth is available at http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/meth/meth.shtml

I'm not trying to undermine that Meth is indeed very dangerous - it is. However, its not always the extreme cases that the media would like you to think that it is.

Heh, a lot of what the media does say when it comes to drugs is overblown. They tend to show only the worst cases that they can find. It creates great drama though and gets people watching.

Peter Jennings had an excellent primetime report on Ecstasy, which you can watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt6PHhOZ32g

If you are interested in this sort of thing, the best website that I've found so far on the web is Erowid's.  Their section dedicated to Meth is available at http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/meth/meth.shtml

I'm not trying to undermine that Meth is indeed very dangerous - it is.  However, its not always the extreme cases that the media would like you to think that it is.

810176[/snapback]

While I agree the media tends to sensationalize certain drugs, meth is the only one I know of that can be manufactured by common household items.

What’s with all the sores on their faces?

810183[/snapback]

Meth creates a feeling of "skin crawling" which causes the user to pick at their skin. Another disgusting side effect is "meth mouth" because of the corrosiveness of the chemicals used in meth.

While I agree the media tends to sensationalize certain drugs, meth is the only one I know of that can be manufactured by common household items.

810182[/snapback]

They found a meth lab in the tunnels below UT a couple years ago, rofl.

While its true that you can make it from household items, its also extremely dangerous to do so, and most people choose not to.

They found a meth lab in the tunnels below UT a couple years ago, rofl.

While its true that you can make it from household items, its also extremely dangerous to do so, and most people choose not to.

810194[/snapback]

Only the addicts.

Only the addicts.

810196[/snapback]

I dunno about that even. Going through withdrawls or trying to do it on meth would be a recipe for disaster. Most of the people that make it from my knowledge keep a little bit and deal the rest.

I dunno about that even.  Going through withdrawls or trying to do it on meth would be a recipe for disaster.  Most of the people that make it from my knowledge keep a little bit and deal the rest.

810199[/snapback]

It's very easy to make that the governement has cracked down on the sale on pseudosphedrine:

The Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 has been incorporated into the Patriot Act signed by President Bush on March 9, 2006. The act bans over-the-counter sales of cold medicines that contain the ingredient pseudoephedrine, which is commonly used to make methamphetamine. The sale of cold medicine containing pseudoephedrine is limited to behind the counter. The amount of pseudoephedrine that an individual can purchase each month is limited and individuals are required to present photo identification to purchase products containing pseudoephedrine. In addition, stores are required to keep personal information about purchasers for at least two years.

It's very easy to make that the governement has cracked down on the sale on pseudosphedrine: 

The Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 has been incorporated into the Patriot Act signed by President Bush on March 9, 2006. The act bans over-the-counter sales of cold medicines that contain the ingredient pseudoephedrine, which is commonly used to make methamphetamine. The sale of cold medicine containing pseudoephedrine is limited to behind the counter. The amount of pseudoephedrine that an individual can purchase each month is limited and individuals are required to present photo identification to purchase products containing pseudoephedrine. In addition, stores are required to keep personal information about purchasers for at least two years.

810200[/snapback]

Somewhat, but you are drawing some wrong conclusions here. While it is relatively easy to make, and you can do it in a home laboratory, its also extremely dangerous to do so.

Making the drug requires a decent supply of pseudophedrine, which is why they are limiting the amount that somone can buy each month.

Synthsis of Meth is discussed in more detail at: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/meth/meth_...shtml#synthesis

The chemicals used in synthesizing meth are extremely reactive which leads to the dangers posed.