Fou you music experts

Beerball

Probably the over 45 music experts...

The Last Waltz was on this morning, and I cannot pass that movie/documentary by. If it's on I have to watch it. Great music (IMO)!

So the question for the experts...whatever became of The Band members? Did they ever perform together again? Did they write for others? Did they die in obscurity?

The Last Waltz was on this morning, and I cannot pass that movie/documentary by.  If it's on I have to watch it.  Great music (IMO)!

So the question for the experts...whatever became of The Band members?  Did they ever perform together again?  Did they write for others?  Did they die in obscurity?

809820[/snapback]

Richard Manuel and Rick Danko are dead - Manuel comitted suicide and Danko died of heart disease. The other three still show up on other peoples records - I think Levon Helm lives in Woodstock.

The Last Waltz was on this morning, and I cannot pass that movie/documentary by.  If it's on I have to watch it.  Great music (IMO)!

So the question for the experts...whatever became of The Band members?  Did they ever perform together again?  Did they write for others?  Did they die in obscurity?

809820[/snapback]

Richard Manuel and Rick Danko are dead - Manuel comitted suicide and Danko died of heart disease. The other three still show up on other peoples records - I think Levon Helm lives in Woodstock.

The Band got back together without Robbie Robertson.

Robertson continued as a solo artist and did some good work (my favotite is Music for Native Americans).

Richard Manuel commited suicide after a concert in 1986.

I saw them in Rochester in the 90's after they released Jericho with Rick Danko, Levon Helm, and Garth Hudson, with a new lineup.

Rick Danko died in 1999.

Levon had throat cancer, but has his voice back. He has a studio/concert hall in Woodstock, NY and does periodic "Midnight Rambles" where almost anybody might show up.

"Today, Levon's voice has miraculously recovered. He is singing again, strong and clear. His imagination and vision conceived The Midnight Ramble Sessions, a series of live performances at Levon Helm Studios in Woodstock. Named for the traveling minstrel shows of his youth, the first Midnight Ramble was held in January, 2004. It featured one of the last performances of great blues pianist, Johnny Johnson. Friends old and new have joined Levon on his stage including: Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, John Sebastian, Allan Touissant, Elvis Costello, Larry Campbell, Jimmy Vivino, Hubert Sumlin, Little Sammy Davis, The Muddy Waters Band and Donald Fagen. The monthly Rambles have been so successful they are usually sold out in advance."

Garth Hudson is still releasing his own CDs (with his wife) and doing fantastic studio work.

Up to the minute info - BEST Band site on the Web:

click here for The Band

Great information Tom :unsure:

Robertson continued as a solo artist and did some good work (my favotite is Music for Native Americans).

I saw them in Rochester in the 90's after they released Jericho with Rick Danko, Levon Helm, and Garth Hudson, with a new lineup.

Rick Danko died in 1999.

Levon had throat cancer, but has his voice back. He has a studio/concert hall in Woodstock, NY and does periodic "Midnight Rambles" where almost anybody might show up.

"Today, Levon's voice has miraculously recovered. He is singing again, strong and clear. His imagination and vision conceived The Midnight Ramble Sessions, a series of live performances at Levon Helm Studios in Woodstock. Named for the traveling minstrel shows of his youth, the first Midnight Ramble was held in January, 2004. It featured one of the last performances of great blues pianist, Johnny Johnson. Friends old and new have joined Levon on his stage including: Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, John Sebastian, Allan Touissant, Elvis Costello, Larry Campbell, Jimmy Vivino, Hubert Sumlin, Little Sammy Davis, The Muddy Waters Band and Donald Fagen. The monthly Rambles have been so successful they are usually sold out in advance."

Garth Hudson is still releasing his own CDs (with his wife) and doing fantastic studio work.

click here for The Band

809846[/snapback]

The other three still show up on other peoples records - I think Levon Helm lives in Woodstock.

809825[/snapback]

Robbie Robertson's first solo LP charted pretty well in 1987 (Lazy River and Showdown at Big Sky still get Adult Contemporary play). Much soundtrack work and many producing gigs; he didn't really have to do anything what with publishing rights and songwriting credits for The Band.

Still causes a stir in Canada and in the Native community when he puts his mind to the various causes and projects that emeritus rockers find themselves involved in.

Rick Danko died in 1999.

click here for The Band

809846[/snapback]

Great info...thanks! (thanks all)

Great information Tom :doh:

809852[/snapback]

It is easier when someone asks a question about your favortie band. :doh:

The guy who designed the web site, Jan Hoiberg, is to the Band what Scott is to the Buffalo Bills! I have corresponded with him and he seems pretty cool!