Thank God for the Sabres...

The NFL doesn't have a minor league.  Just Arizona.

And the NFL will go the way of MLB soon enough, if Snyder and Jones have their way.  They're too interested in maximizing their short-term return to worry about maintaining the long-term viability of the NFL brand.

809534[/snapback]

No but... If you're going to make it a league in which the regular season counts so much, then why even have a divisions? You got a league with 30 teams I believe, then let them play each other home/away. The team with the most points at the end of the year is labeled the best team. Is it fair to the Blue Jays to have to be in the Yanks/Red Sox division while the other teams have an easy ride?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No but... If you're going to make it a league in which the regular season counts so much, then why even have a divisions?  You got a league with 30 teams I believe, then let them play each other home/away.  The team with the most points at the end of the year is labeled the best team. 

809539[/snapback]

I believe originally in baseball the AL and NL didn't play each other...so the winner of the AL played the winner of the NL at the end of the season. Hence the World Series. And the league winners were...the teams that had the most wins. Then MLB got bigger...and they introduced divisions, because 12 or 16 team leagues were too unwieldy. So it used to be pretty close to what you suggest...and in my opinion, better.

Is it fair to the Blue Jays to have to be in the Yanks/Red Sox division while the other teams have an easy ride?

Is it fair that azjepp has nudie pics of Lana, and I'm here talking to you? Life isn't fair. If the Jays can't handle that...oh, well. Then they'll know how the Milwalkee Brewers feel...

I believe originally in baseball the AL and NL didn't play each other...so the winner of the AL played the winner of the NL at the end of the season.  Hence the World Series.  And the league winners were...the teams that had the most wins.  Then MLB got bigger...and they introduced divisions, because 12 or 16 team leagues were too unwieldy.  So it used to be pretty close to what you suggest...and in my opinion, better.

Is it fair that azjepp has nudie pics of Lana, and I'm here talking to you?  Life isn't fair.  If the Jays can't handle that...oh, well.  Then they'll know how the Milwalkee Brewers feel...

809546[/snapback]

Well ya it isn't fair. That's why I don't watch it anymore.

I mean alright I understand your point but, at least in the soccer format, the top 4 teams get a chance to compete in Europe's biggest club championship. The 5-8 have a chance to compete in a lower form of the same championship, and the bottom 4 go straight to relegation. It gives an incentive to play and be a fan even if you know in the end, your team won't crack the top 4, you have something to play for. It brings in extra money for the weaker teams without the revenue sharing in baseball that forces rich owners to give owners of the Marlins any damn money.

No but... If you're going to make it a league in which the regular season counts so much, then why even have a divisions?  You got a league with 30 teams I believe, then let them play each other home/away.  The team with the most points at the end of the year is labeled the best team.  Is it fair to the Blue Jays to have to be in the Yanks/Red Sox division while the other teams have an easy ride?

809539[/snapback]

Was it fair for the Yanks/Sox in the early nineties, when they were looking up at the Jays in the standings?

(Good memories: I was on Yonge Street the night the Jays clinched their first AL championship. Best. Party. Ever. Wish I could've been there for the Series...)

Was it fair for the Yanks/Sox in the early nineties, when they were looking up at the Jays in the standings?

(Good memories: I was on Yonge Street the night the Jays clinched their first AL championship. Best. Party. Ever. Wish I could've been there for the Series...)

809565[/snapback]

Fair enough, anyways it doesn't really matter, I hate MLB. The only time the Expos had a strong enough team to compete in the playoffs, there was a strike.

Fair enough, anyways it doesn't really matter, I hate MLB.  The only time the Expos had a strong enough team to compete in the playoffs, there was a strike.

809569[/snapback]

Hey, I'm right there with ya. Cincy's always been my team (well, until the kid in my avatar made the bigs, anyway); if I recall correctly, it would've been Reds-Expos in the playoffs the year you're thinking of.

Hey, I'm right there with ya. Cincy's always been my team (well, until the kid in my avatar made the bigs, anyway); if I recall correctly, it would've been Reds-Expos in the playoffs the year you're thinking of.

809574[/snapback]

Don't remember. All i know is that having a starting lineup that would make Steinbrenner drool with little or no salary was nice :unsure: