Ridiculous Gazette article

Adam

OK, they say Gandy sucks- he apparently is better than anyone else on the roster. We should have drafted or picked up a tackle.

How many pro bowl tackles were out there to be had in free agency? Should we not have drafted Whitner, and taken a OT in the first round that wasnt worth the pick.

Easy to second guess when you sit behind a desk

Because first round tackles ALWAYS work out...Williams, Gallery, etc. etc.

Eff this...here's an idea. 3 and outs every series and the D starts scoring, then we don't have to worry about this anymore. Chicago did it last night :P

Because first round tackles ALWAYS work out...Williams, Gallery, etc. etc.

Eff this...here's an idea.  3 and outs every series and the D starts scoring, then we don't have to worry about this anymore.  Chicago did it last night :P

807942[/snapback]

I do think that 1st round tackles have had higher success rate in the NFL than bust rates...

For every MW, Gallery that you have mentione there has been a successful

McKinnie, Levi Jones, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Matt Light, Jammal Brown,

Jon Jansen, Ogden, Kwame Harris, Marc Colombo, Jeff Bachus, Chris Samuels,

John Tait, Tarik Glen etc.....

I do think that 1st round tackles have had higher success rate in the NFL than bust rates...

Jon Jansen, Ogden, Kwame Harris, Marc Colombo,  Jeff Bachus, Chris Samuels,

807951[/snapback]

Good post. They get drafted high because many are just plain good football players in addition to playing a hot position.

How many pro bowl tackles were out there to be had in free agency? Should we not have drafted Whitner, and taken a OT in the first round that wasnt worth the pick.

807931[/snapback]

Way to oversimplify it. Nobody said they had to use #8 to get an OT. But they should not have waited until round 7 either. The Chargers are doing just fine with a rookie at LT, a second rounder. Same with the Patriots with a rookie at RT, a fifth rounder.

Good post. They get drafted high because many are just plain good football players in addition to playing a hot position.

807956[/snapback]

Also, I think one of the reasons that is being touted as the reason for Gallery's failure is from where he came from. I think Gallery was just not ready for the NFL not having played the big college teams...MW....that is a completely another thread and I don't want to reopen the MW to Tampa Bay thread... :P

Telling fact about Gandy:

There is only one (1) team in the entire NFL who does not have their left tackle extended beyond the end of the season with a contract. That team is the Buffalo Bills with Mike Gandy. Feel free to correct me if that info is wrong, but that is what I heard.

Does that put him in position to make some coin, a la Jonas Jennings a few years back when he happened to be the only LT free agent available? And does it mean that the Bills really think he sucks?

Way to oversimplify it.  Nobody said they had to use #8 to get an OT.  But they should not have waited until round 7 either.  The Chargers are doing just fine with a rookie at LT, a second rounder.  Same with the Patriots with a rookie at RT, a fifth rounder.

807962[/snapback]

Is reaching for a need, bypassing a much better player good in any round?

Is reaching for a need, bypassing a much better player good in any round?

807991[/snapback]

Who the hell are these much better players that were bypassed? Personnel management isn't rocket science. You have dire needs along the lines, you draft linemen. The Bills will continue to suck until they do so.

Jon Jansen, Ogden, Kwame Harris, Marc Colombo,  Jeff Bachus, Chris Samuels,

807951[/snapback]

Kwame Harris?

Also, I think one of the reasons that is being touted as the reason for Gallery's failure is  from where he came from. I think Gallery was just not ready for the NFL not having played the big college teams...MW....that is a completely another thread and I don't want to reopen the MW to Tampa Bay thread... :P

807964[/snapback]

He came from the Big Ten.

There is only one (1) team in the entire NFL who does not have their left tackle extended beyond the end of the season with a contract.  That team is the Buffalo Bills with Mike Gandy.  Feel free to correct me if that info is wrong, but that is what I heard.

Does that put him in position to make some coin, a la Jonas Jennings a few years back when he happened to be the only LT free agent available?  And does it mean that the Bills really think he sucks?

807986[/snapback]

If this is true, then I think it might be some telling evidence. Marv has always prided himself on being a "trenches" guy. May be there's some gearing up for off season moves- the draft, trades, etc that involve the choraling of both D and O linemen. I can foresee him dealing a TD position guy who may, by the end of 2006, proved himself dead weight?

There is only one (1) team in the entire NFL who does not have their left tackle extended beyond the end of the season with a contract.  That team is the Buffalo Bills with Mike Gandy.  Feel free to correct me if that info is wrong, but that is what I heard.

Does that put him in position to make some coin, a la Jonas Jennings a few years back when he happened to be the only LT free agent available?  And does it mean that the Bills really think he sucks?

807986[/snapback]

Coming into this season he was certainly in line for a raise, simply based on the fact that he actually could line up at the LT slot. He has given up lots of sacks and has been penalized at key moments this year, so I don't know how he will fare in 07 in terms of a contract. In short, he is glaringly sub-par.

How the Bills will address this situation is beyond me. McNally has been quoted numerous times singing the praises of Gandy, which I never could quite comprehend.

Both Levi Jones and Backus were extended by their teams. Willie Anderson (a great RT) was re-signed by the Bengals as well (if we had thoughts of signing him and moving Peters to LT). As you said, teams keep these guys.

It is WAY too early to predict where the Bills will draft in 07. Even if things go really bad and we draft early, it is hard to believe that Levy and Jauron will be able to resist a 1st round corner to replace Nate (who will probably be gone).

They took a safety (the 2nd one picked mind you) at #8. I'm not sure if any team has ever done this. Imagine what they would do for a CB! If they were to take a corner with the #1 pick in the draft I would be angry, but not even a little surprised.

Teams don't trade these guys, so we will probably fill the slot with a mid to late round pick. This is why I am pushing Butler. We might as well see what he can do now. At least the staff can give him experience, and a chance to see if he can play.

Who the hell are these much better players that were bypassed?  Personnel management isn't rocket science.  You have dire needs along the lines, you draft linemen.  The Bills will continue to suck until they do so.

807996[/snapback]

Drafts should not be used to fill dire needs for starters. Thats usually why a player becomes a bust, they get forced into a position they are not ready for because the team needs someone at that position, instead of becoming a backup and learning behind someone for a while.

Should the Bills have drafted some more linemen, sure, but the team had so many needs that almost any position was drafting for need. This year Marv decided that he wanted to focus on the defence and try to get that straightened out. We have all seen that a great defence can help more then a good offence. Just look at the Bills when they almost made the playoffs with Bledsoe and one of the top D's. Baltimore won its SB on their defence.

Does everyone here seriously think that if Marv used half (heck, even all) of our picks this year on the O-line that they would be any better then they are now?

Now I am assuming next year Marv will start focusing on the offence and Defensive lines. Oh wait, he's going to draft more DB's because in one draft he focused on DB's and that makes it a trend

Drafts should not be used to fill dire needs for starters. Thats usually why a player becomes a bust, they get forced into a position they are not ready for because the team needs someone at that position, instead of becoming a backup and learning behind someone for a while.

808017[/snapback]

Nobody said they needed to be forced into a starting role they're not ready for. The Bears drafted Mark Anderson late in the draft. They haven't started him but they've added him to their DL rotation. He has 6.5 sacks.

Does everyone here seriously think that if Marv used half (heck, even all) of our picks this year on the O-line that they would be any better then they are now?

808017[/snapback]

Not all, just more.

the team had so many needs that almost any position was drafting for need.

808017[/snapback]

True, but I'm of the opinion that you should build a team inside out.

Should the Bills have drafted some more linemen, sure

808017[/snapback]

Agreed

807986[/snapback]

Bizarre. Gandy looks like he belongs in the mix with Villarial and Reyes at the very least. 900 snaps for the Bills at left tackle makes him insurance at the position as the team (hopefully) goes forward. Yes, he was awful against the Lions on the turf. He will be forgiven if he performs well on the Ralph grass this weekend. Get used to the Gandy Man.