Charles Barkley is a genius

Barkley was in the booth and was very critical of the Cardinals playing safe and going for a field goal before half instead of a touchdown. He said 20 points wasn't going to be enough to win the game. He was right.

Amazing.

807340[/snapback]

Putting Charles Barkley as a commentator is one of the main things that is wrong with NFL broadcasting in general. It has really become a sports version of American Idol.

Putting Charles Barkley as a commentator is one of the main things that is wrong with NFL broadcasting in general.  It has really become a sports version of American Idol.

807343[/snapback]

Agreed. But i guess it proves that even the most common person has a chance to broadcast an NFL game, even the idiots of the world (Greg Gumbel)

Agreed. But i guess it proves that even the most common person has a chance to broadcast an NFL game, even the idiots of the world (Greg Gumbel)

807345[/snapback]

What ever happened to just broadcasting the game? Now you have clowns making remarks. FFS they had JAY-Z during the half time show. If Ja-Rule ever cracks MNF, I'm never watching it again.

What ever happened to just broadcasting the game?  Now you have clowns making remarks.  FFS they had JAY-Z during the half time show.  If Ja-Rule ever cracks MNF, I'm never watching it again.

807354[/snapback]

I wouldn't doubt if they will ever play "New York" during a Jets or Giants game on one of those highlights of the game before commercials.

Putting Charles Barkley as a commentator is one of the main things that is wrong with NFL broadcasting in general.  It has really become a sports version of American Idol.

807343[/snapback]

Monday Night Football has been doing that since before you were born. Two people I can remember being in the booth were John Lennon and Ronald Reagan.

What ever happened to just broadcasting the game?  Now you have clowns making remarks.  FFS they had JAY-Z during the half time show.  If Ja-Rule ever cracks MNF, I'm never watching it again.

807354[/snapback]

First of all, I'd rather hear Charles Barkley broadcast an NFL game than Theismann any day of the week. And the poster above me is right...Monday Night Football was doing it 30 years ago, so I don't have a big problem with ESPN bringing in someone like Sir Charles. At least he's entertaining.

Second, please tell me you didn't just compare Ja-Rule to Jay-Z??

You old people are no fun

807547[/snapback]

You never partied with us, have you? :lol:

MNF has always been prime time entertainment as much as a sports broadcast.

That said, I do not care for half-time shows that are advertisements for someone's next CD. It is different if it is an EVENT like the Super Bowl, but a Monday Night?

MNF has been sliding to the toilet for a while. ESPN is not making it better. They toss in 7-10 commentators during the show and spend half of their time trying to shout over each other. ;)

Barkley may not be great as a broacaster, but at least he has an opinion.

Theisman spent the entire game babbling - and often contradicting himself. It was like listening to a crazy person argue with himself for three hours. :lol:

807343[/snapback]

What makes you say that? He's a professional broadcaster. He has spent significant time in the Phoenix area. He says intriguing things. He has opinions and he sticks to them.

Personally I would rather listen to him talk about football than Theesman or Kornheiser.

Sure we are.  We've just developed some taste.    :lol:

807564[/snapback]

Hey, it's all good...as the rappers say. Wait they don't say that? I have no idea. ;) Seriously though, I'm not a big fan of rap at all. I think most of it sucks...but I do think Jay-Z is great. And old school Public Enemy of course.

You never partied with us, have you?  :lol:

MNF has always been prime time entertainment as much as a sports broadcast.

That said, I do not care for half-time shows that are advertisements for someone's next CD. It is different if it is an EVENT like the Super Bowl, but a Monday Night?

MNF has been sliding to the toilet for a while. ESPN is not making it better. They toss in 7-10 commentators during the show and spend half of their time trying to shout over each other.  ;)

Barkley may not be great as a broacaster, but at least he has an opinion.

Theisman spent the entire game babbling - and often contradicting himself. It was like listening to a crazy person argue with himself for three hours.  :lol:

807566[/snapback]

Theismann has basically become a parody of himself at this point. You're right, Barkley is no broadcaster but he has something to say about everything, which is why he works so well on the TNT show.

Barkley was in the booth and was very critical of the Cardinals playing safe and going for a field goal before half instead of a touchdown. He said 20 points wasn't going to be enough to win the game. He was right.

Amazing.

807340[/snapback]

I'm not sure that was hard to figure out. Anyone who knows football knows that is not enough against one of the best teams in the NFL. However, the fumble by James really shocked me. Holding on to the ball for another 2 minutes might have been the difference in that game.

Barkley can be a blowhard at times but his comments on Terrible Owens last night were right on. If only there were more candid announcers it would be much more interesting to listen to them.

I thought his best comment was when he said that if TO was on his team, he'd punch him in the head.

807744[/snapback]

However, the fumble by James really shocked me.  Holding on to the ball for another 2 minutes might have been the difference in that game.

807817[/snapback]

I am glad the Bears won and all (I kinda like them), but 9 out of 10 times, that would not have been a fumble....James forward progress was long stopped at that point...to me, the Bears pulling off a miracle win is more exciting than the Cardnals pulling off an improbable win...

You old people are no fun

807547[/snapback]

Nope.

I happen to like Charles Barkley for his penchant for being outspoken. The guy is honest about things, including himself. He'll tear into himself w/ a comment just as he would anyone else.

I like how he said he'd handle having a teammate like Terrell Owens.

807343[/snapback]

He wasn't on last night as a "broadcaster"...he was on as a guest. I believe he lives in the Phoenix area and they brought him on to talk about Phoenix and what the new stadium has brought to Arizona, etc.

The commentary he provided was by his own accord.