Life after death (10x Platinum)

Born Again (2x Platinum)

Duets (Platinum)

Tupac Amaru Shakur

2Pacalypse Now (Gold)

Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. (Platinum)

Me Against the World (2x Platinum)

All Eyez on Me (9x Platinum)

The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory (7x Platinum)

R U Still Down? (Remember Me) (5x Platinum)

Still I Rise (2x Platinum)

Until the End of Time (4x Platinum)

Better Dayz (3x Platinum)

Loyal to the Game (Platinum)

Thug Life Vol. 1 (Gold)

Greatest Hits (9x Platinum)

Tupac: Resurrection (Platinum)

Check yourself.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.

Christopher Wallce aka Biggie Smalls

Ready to Die (4x Platinum)

Conspiracy (Gold)

Life after death (10x Platinum)

Born Again (2x Platinum)

Duets (Platinum)

Tupac Amaru Shakur

2Pacalypse Now (Gold)

Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. (Platinum)

Me Against the World (2x Platinum)

All Eyez on Me (9x Platinum)

The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory (7x Platinum)

R U Still Down? (Remember Me) (5x Platinum)

Still I Rise (2x Platinum)

Until the End of Time (4x Platinum)

Better Dayz (3x Platinum)

Loyal to the Game (Platinum)

Thug Life Vol. 1 (Gold)

Greatest Hits (9x Platinum)

Tupac: Resurrection (Platinum)

Check yourself.

807424[/snapback]

I'm not talking about record sales. I'm talking about flow and all the things that make a rapper great. Tupac may have a lot of albums that went platnum, but that is mainly because he never left the record studio.

Wallace wasn't alive for that long, and he wasn't necessarily the sex icon that tupac was. That's it. Tupac had a longer rapping life than BIG, not to mention he was and is, considered a sex icon on the level of what LL Cool J is now.

Although this is not the place to have this debate, when it comes down to flow, rapping, and just plain old telling a story, Biggie takes it. Tupac's rap consists of drinking, sex, and drug use (With the exceptions of a few songs), Wallace could rap about anything.

Tupac had a great grasp of lyrics and knew exactaly the effect his death would have on his fans. He was a great lyricist. Where as Biggie had better use of stringing bars together. Pac had a more social view of rap, where as BIG was mostly about just the street life aspect of the game.

Probably be murdered for the sh-- that I said

I bring the real, be a legend, breathin or dead- 2Pac Against all odds

With that said I dont like the fusion of mixing football with rap music. It's probably done because well it's no secret the large majority of football players are black, but the large majority of football fans probably aren't fans of the genre. I wish the nfl would step away from acts like U2 as well, or political agenda bands. Get back to music please. This is all.

I'm not talking about record sales. I'm talking about flow and all the things that make a rapper great. Tupac may have a lot of albums that went platnum, but that is mainly because he never left the record studio.

807431[/snapback]

He left long enough to get shot to ribbons.

How many more albums do you guys think Tupac has left in him?

807489[/snapback]

Oh - I don't know if they run out of material I am sure his mother would run a seance to have Tupac literally rap from beyond the grave. ;)

Rap music aka 'Hip Hop' is but another step in the dumbing down of America. Can't speak english properly? Become a rapper, make up your own language with non-sensical words, and you too can become a millionare.

Why do you think much of the world hates us? We preach a holier than thou party line, and throw bit*ches and Ho's at them...

America: Land of the free, Home of the ignorant.

End of politically incorrect rant...now you can start calling me names.

Thats was the BOMB,ah right, 2 of americas hottest drivers cruisin around at what, about 10 mph in those cars, stupid.......Also after the game they ran the Bud commercial with that rap, has the CD even been released.......somewhere Neil Young is play'n this BUD's for you!!!!!!.........It's all about the MONEY and I ain't a buy'n!!

I guess JAY Z showed me what he got and He GOT CHIT!! Disco was more creative than RAP!!

Thats was the BOMB,ah right, 2 of americas hottest drivers cruisin around at what, about 10 mph in those cars, stupid.......Also after the game they ran the Bud commercial with that rap, has the CD even been released.......somewhere Neil Young is play'n this BUD's for you!!!!!!.........It's all about the MONEY and I ain't a buy'n!!

I guess JAY Z showed me what he got and He GOT CHIT!! Disco was more creative than RAP!!

807612[/snapback]

In English?

Jay-Z is the CEO of Def Jam, basically the most successful label in the world. When you are the CEO of such a company, you can market your album any way you want. He's taken marketing to a whole other level with the MNF thing. I was pretty shocked. That was then followed by a Budweiser commercial that featured the same song. It's about making money and it will work.

You talk about rap not being an artform? I guess just anybody can paint a picture with their words, deliver them on point over a beat, and put out an album. You think that's the case? If so, go to soundclick.com and scroll through the thousands of people who THINK they can rap. Rap is as much an artform as the rest of the music out here where people beat their guitars "duhnuh,duhnuh,duhnuh,duhnuh" and scream as loud as they can into a microphone, or the ones who pick a banjo and sing about their wives leaving them. You can't dismiss something as not being an artform just because you don't like it.

Rap is part of the "American Dream" just like any other music. It's where people from different demographics in life can make something of themselves, just like athletes. Jay-Z was a cocaine dealer that was getting a decent amount of money in the street, but took rap and turned it into a $700-$800 million dollar empire. Sean "Diddy" Combs went from a broke college graduate & back-up dancer to $400 million dollar man.

This is one of the verses from Jay-Z's track titled "The Black Gangsta" from that motion pictures soundtrack, "I ride through the ghetto windows down half way, half way outta my mind, music on nine blastin Donnie Hathaway, me and my niggas spendin half the day plottin, how we gon get this math today without gettin blast away, I wake up to the same problems after today, life is harsh, nigga got a right to spark, right from the start they placed me in the ghetto, tender age of nine, my tender mind had to surrender to crime, wouldn't wish this on nobody's life to end up like mine, ever since I was young a nigga been in a bind, nowadays switched over, even rap ain't all it's cracked up to be, niggas don't stack up to me, had to hustle in a world of trouble, trapped in closterphobic, only way out was rappin, niggas don't understand the demographics I'm tapped in, I'm the truest nigga to do this, thinkin anything else is foolish, for those who stay high under God's grey skies, my lyrics is like the bible, made to save lives, in the midst of all your misery nigga stay fly, never let'm see you frown, even smile when you down, sh*# I floss on my off days, F*#@ what they all say, niggas can't stop me with rumors, I too strong all day..............." I'll stop there. If you can't see a picture or an artform in what he's explaining, you just don't understand. That's all.

In English?

807614[/snapback]

#1 Danica Patrick driving car #1 pulls up (Indy Racing League)

#2 Dale Earnhardt driving car #2 with Jay Z (NASCAR, Daytona 500, famous racing family, sponsor, BUDWEISER BEER)

#3 They drive coastal highway acting like they are going real fast, in real fast cars. They are actually going about 10 mph. Jay Z lips the title track to his new cd - show me what-cha got.

#4 Camara pans to cloud in sky forming crown ....King.......Bud- King of beers....show me what-cha got ....show me what-cha got..Everybody dancin around slam'n Bud Select's...show me what-cha got.....

#5 Commercial for new CD and BUD Beer.

#6 You Brits keep sending over really OLD dudes pretending to be cool, first the Rolling Bones and now some guys claiming to be the WHO(lock the doors save your money) :P

#7 At least Dale and Danica can drive-unlike the Bills!

Rap is part of the "American Dream" just like any other music. It's where people from different demographics in life can make something of themselves, just like athletes. Jay-Z was a cocaine dealer that was getting a decent amount of money in the street, but took rap and turned it into a $700-$800 million dollar empire. Sean "Diddy" Combs went from a broke college graduate & back-up dancer to $400 million dollar man.

This is one of the verses from Jay-Z's track titled "The Black Gangsta" from that motion pictures soundtrack, "I ride through the ghetto windows down half way, half way outta my mind, music on nine blastin Donnie Hathaway, me and my niggas spendin half the day plottin, how we gon get this math today without gettin blast away, I wake up to the same problems after today, life is harsh, nigga got a right to spark, right from the start they placed me in the ghetto, tender age of nine, my tender mind had to surrender to crime, wouldn't wish this on nobody's life to end up like mine, ever since I was young a nigga been in a bind, nowadays switched over, even rap ain't all it's cracked up to be, niggas don't stack up to me, had to hustle in a world of trouble, trapped in closterphobic, only way out was rappin, niggas don't understand the demographics I'm tapped in, I'm the truest nigga to do this, thinkin anything else is foolish, for those who stay high under God's grey skies, my lyrics is like the bible, made to save lives, in the midst of all your misery nigga stay fly, never let'm see you frown, even smile when you down, sh*# I floss on my off days, F*#@ what they all say, niggas can't stop me with rumors, I too strong all day..............." I'll stop there. If you can't see a picture or an artform in what he's explaining, you just don't understand. That's all.

807799[/snapback]

Yeah, rap is pure misogynistic poetry talking about niggaz and HOs and rods and all other things uplifting. It's right up there with Angelou, Yeats, Browning, Tennyson and Lord Byron. And all those fools in the ghetto are pinning their hopes and aspirations on becoming rap or basketball stars someday - instead of studying and trying to really lift themselves above the crowd.

I work in a public school in affluent Greenwich, CT. Last year, I overheard two little blonde-haired sixth-graders talking about whether they were more "gansta" or "ghetto". Hopefully, this means that rap, the ART FORM (base though it may be), has finally "jumped the shark!"

Rap music aka 'Hip Hop' is but another step in the dumbing down of America. Can't speak english properly? Become a rapper, make up your own language with non-sensical words, and you too can become a millionare.

Why do you think much of the world hates us? We preach a holier than thou party line, and throw bit*ches and Ho's at them...

America: Land of the free, Home of the ignorant. 

End of politically incorrect rant...now you can start calling me names.

807561[/snapback]

way to generalize.

Yeah, rap is pure misogynistic poetry talking about niggaz and HOs and rods and all other things uplifting. It's right up there with Angelou, Yeats, Browning, Tennyson and Lord Byron. And all those fools in the ghetto are pinning their hopes and aspirations on becoming rap or basketball stars someday - instead of studying and trying to really lift themselves above the crowd.

I work in a public school in affluent Greenwich, CT. Last year, I overheard two little blonde-haired sixth-graders talking about whether they were more "gansta" or "ghetto". Hopefully, this means that rap, the ART FORM (base though it may be), has finally "jumped the shark!"

808340[/snapback]

Once again, to repeat my point, the mainstream ruined it. Just like it ruins everything else.

808340[/snapback]

Beautiful, just beautiful. Nice post. :P

808340[/snapback]

I see no changes wake up in the morning and I ask myself

is life worth living should I blast myself?

I'm tired of bein' poor & even worse I'm black

my stomach hurts so I'm lookin' for a purse to snatch

Cops give a damn about a negro

pull the trigger kill a nigga he's a hero

Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares

one less hungry mouth on the welfare

First ship 'em dope & let 'em deal the brothers

give 'em guns step back watch 'em kill each other

It's time to fight back that's what Huey said

2 shots in the dark now Huey's dead

I got love for my brother but we can never go nowhere

unless we share with each other

We gotta start makin' changes

learn to see me as a brother instead of 2 distant strangers

and that's how it's supposed to be

How can the Devil take a brother if he's close to me?

I'd love to go back to when we played as kids

but things changed, and that's the way it is

(Talking)

We gotta make a change...

It's time for us as a people to start makin' some changes.

Let's change the way we eat, let's change the way we live

and let's change the way we treat each other.

You see the old way wasn't working so it's on us to do

what we gotta do, to survive.

[3]

And still I see no changes can't a brother get a little peace

It's war on the streets & the war in the Middle East

Instead of war on poverty they got a war on drugs

so the police can bother me

And I ain't never did a crime I ain't have to do

But now I'm back with the blacks givin' it back to you

Don't let 'em jack you up, back you up,

crack you up and pimp slap you up

You gotta learn to hold ya own

they get jealous when they see ya with ya mobile phone

But tell the cops they can't touch this

I don't trust this when they try to rush I bust this

That's the sound of my tool you say it ain't cool

my mama didn't raise no fool

And as long as I stay black I gotta stay strapped

& I never get to lay back

'Cause I always got to worry 'bout the pay backs

some buck that I roughed up way back

comin' back after all these years

Just an excerpt from a song that i suggest you download but you wouldn't. SO read the words, tell me it is all about the promotion of the uplifting things you gave an example of. The fact of the matter is that people like yourself don't know what you are talking about because you sit high on a pearch in "CT".

So please, read the lyrics, tell me it is about what this modern rap is about. THe fact of the matter is that youth of today does not know what "rap" is, and it is obviously clear that people like yourself have no idea either.

Just an excerpt from a song that i suggest you download but you wouldn't. SO read the words, tell me it is all about the promotion of the uplifting things you gave an example of. The fact of the matter is that people like yourself don't know what you are talking about because you sit high on a pearch in "CT".

So please, read the lyrics, tell me it is about what this modern rap is about. THe fact of the matter is that youth of today does not know what "rap" is, and it is obviously clear that people like yourself have no idea either.

808377[/snapback]

First of all, it's "perch" - and I am from lowly Elmira, NY - not Greenwich, CT. So you found some rap lyrics that are somewhat "uplifting" (I certainly would not call them that, though)... and you claim it is indicative of rap as a genre. Okay... got it. :P

My point is that kids and others who live in ghettos or whatever kind of poverty and deprivation should look to EDUCATE themselves and develop some self-respect and sense of responsibility. I firmly believe that education is the great equalizer - and too many kids just toss it aside like it's nothing, while numbing their little brains with the negative incantations of their rapper heroes. Rap is perpetual wallowing in a condition of squalor and hopelessness. After a couple of decades, it's time to rise above that. Train and exercise minds to be MORE than that. Become shapers and leaders that nurture and inspire the best in human nature, not that which is twisted, depraved and base. Children in the ghetto would be better served to learn math, chess and debating.

"With all the opportunities available today, unavailable when Cosby and I were youngsters, black youngsters who dedicate themselves to academic excellence are attacked both verbally and sometimes physically for "acting white" and for being "Oreos" and "brainiacs." California Berkeley professor John McWhorter says, "Insidious anti-intellectualism is the prime culprit in the school-performance gap between whites and blacks, which cuts across class and income lines." He adds that the rap music culture "retards black success by the reinforcement of hindering stereotypes and by teaching young blacks that a thuggish adversarial stance is the properly authentic response to a presumptively racist society."
-Three Cheers for Bill Cosby

And if rap has permeated society to the degree that little girls in Greenwich, CT debate whether they are more gangsta or ghetto... maybe it's time to move on. Stick a fork in it.

First of all, it's "perch" - and I am from lowly Elmira, NY - not Greenwich, CT. So you found some rap lyrics that are somewhat "uplifting" (I certainly would not call them that, though)... and you claim it is indicative of rap as a genre. Okay... got it. :P

My point is that kids and others who live in ghettos or whatever kind of poverty and deprivation should look to EDUCATE themselves and develop some self-respect and sense of responsibility. I firmly believe that education is the great equalizer - and too many kids just toss it aside like it's nothing, while numbing their little brains with the negative incantations of their rapper heroes. Rap is perpetual wallowing in a condition of squalor and hopelessness. After a couple of decades, it's time to rise above that. Train and exercise minds to be MORE than that. Become shapers and leaders that nurture and inspire the best in human nature, not that which is twisted, depraved and base. Children in the ghetto would be better served to learn math, chess and debating.

-Three Cheers for Bill Cosby

And if rap has permeated society to the degree that  little girls in Greenwich, CT debate whether they are more gangsta or ghetto... maybe it's time to move on.  Stick a fork in it.

808487[/snapback]

Oh please. FFS get over yourself.

Music is far from educational, but I guess you'll only pick on one genre of music to make your point since we know that hard rock, heavy metal and the rest are education... especially since the most famous of the musicians died of drug overdoses.