Our Quarterback Has Been Average

Wraith

Entering this season, a reasonable goal for J.P. Losman was to play in the middle of the pack of NFL Quarterbacks. To expect a quarterback to play above average on an offense with a questionable offensive line and a questionable receiving corps is unreasonable. Furthermore, after last years debacle, average output from Losman would be a significant improvement.

Through six games of this season, the meaningful statistics are:

_____________COMP%___YPA___TD/ATT___INT/ATT ___SACKS/ATT_____RATING

Losman -2006__61.60____6.52____0.041____0.0291______0.110_______80.10

Average-2006__60.09____6.86____0.038____0.0291______0.072_______78.89

In every meaningful category except sacks/attempt, Losman is average. Sacks/attempt may be his main area of improvement. It might not be. Strong anecdotal evidence suggests the offensive line in front of him is providing him with far below average time to pressure. I have seen no attempt to quantify that issue yet, though. Either way, Losman's current clip (0.110) puts him in the same neighborhood as Michael Vick (0.154), Carson Palmer (0.108), and Matt Hasselbeck (0.107).

I have two points for those of you who come in here whining about a specific negative play:

A) The statistics show the rate at which he makes negative plays is not statistically different from an average NFL quarterback.

B) By definition, being an average quarterback means that about 50% of your plays will be above average and about 50% will be below average. Some will be way above average (the TD pass to Parrish) and some will be way below average (the sack just prior to Lindell's 53 yard field goal).

Losman is the epitome of an average NFL Quarterback. In his second year of starting he has developed into an average NFL Quarterback. That is a significant jump in play level from last year. In order to jump to the next level and be a great NFL Quarterback two things need to happen: he needs to improve his consistency; and more significantly, the team around him needs to play at least average also.

*The Int/Att Rate Comparison is not a typo. Losman's rate is exactly the average to four significant figures.

Good post. I think this is the sort of analysis that leads us to examine the philosophy of the Levy/Jauron regime. Do we want a top tier QB to be the focal point? Do we want to be a "run strong and stop the run" type of team? I think if JP can be among the middle of the pack or better in terms of what NFL QBs are producing, we can focus on giving him a team that dominates the opposition with a staunch defense and a power running offense. Yeah, we've been saying that for a long time now, but I'm still hlding out hope that these guys will actually get it done. But I'd rather see JP be a good, solid - if unspectacular - QB, with our team being designed to run over people and stop the run.

But I'd rather see JP be a good, solid - if unspectacular - QB, with our team being designed to run over people and stop the run.

806771[/snapback]

I'd just like to see them win more games than they lose, however they do it, whoever they do it with....

I'd just like to see them win more games than they lose, however they do it, whoever they do it with....

806777[/snapback]

I totally agree. I just think that part of the problem has been people like TD and Mularkey saying one thing, and then not actually following through on it. Marv and Dick say they want to start with defense? Okay, then let's actually DO that....build the defense to where it's dominant. Let's see if their plan works and go from there. We can't just keep bouncing around from philosophy to philosophy and expect to win, you know?

Entering this season, a reasonable goal for J.P. Losman was to play in the middle of the pack of NFL Quarterbacks. To expect a quarterback to play above average on an offense with a questionable offensive line and a questionable receiving corps is unreasonable. Furthermore, after last years debacle, average output from Losman would be a significant improvement.

Through six games of this season, the meaningful statistics are:

_____________COMP%___YPA___TD/ATT___INT/ATT ___SACKS/ATT_____RATING

Losman -2006__61.60____6.52____0.041____0.0291______0.110_______80.10

Average-2006__60.09____6.86____0.038____0.0291______0.072_______78.89

In every meaningful category except sacks/attempt, Losman is average. Sacks/attempt may be his main area of improvement. It might not be. Strong anecdotal evidence suggests the offensive line in front of him is providing him with far below average time to pressure. I have seen no attempt to quantify that issue yet, though. Either way, Losman's current clip (0.110) puts him in the same neighborhood as Michael Vick (0.154), Carson Palmer (0.108), and Matt Hasselbeck (0.107).

I have two points for those of you who come in here whining about a specific negative play:

A) The statistics show the rate at which he makes negative plays is not statistically different from an average NFL quarterback.

B) By definition, being an average quarterback means that about 50% of your plays will be above average and about 50% will be below average. Some will be way above average (the TD pass to Parrish) and some will be way below average (the sack just prior to Lindell's 53 yard field goal).

Losman is the epitome of an average NFL Quarterback. In his second year of starting he has developed into an average NFL Quarterback. That is a significant jump in play level from last year. In order to jump to the next level and be a great NFL Quarterback two things need to happen: he needs to improve his consistency; and more significantly, the team around him needs to play at least average also.

*The Int/Att Rate Comparison is not a typo. Losman's rate is exactly the average to four significant figures.

806766[/snapback]

Average is good. It's a big step in the right direction for JP. Last year he was below average. Now he can work on being above average.