Where We Are So Far

Casey D

Well I guess it is to be expected that the "everything sucks" crowd would come out today. But that is to be expected when you lose to an 0-5 team, and are really outplayed by more than the score indicates.

But we need to go back to before the season started, even back to last January, to assess where we really are, not just reacting to yesterday's game.

I wrote before, and still believe, that the new administration Levy/Jauron, is a much needed breath of fresh air, both in terms of intelligence and integrity. They faced the difficult task of fixing 5 years of ineptitude, and that cannot be done in a few months. To a large extent, they are now a victim of the first 4 weeks of the season, where the team played very well each week, and was 2-2. The bar was raised, and the fans were excited. Now, with the inevitable backslide of any young and rebuilding team, the Malthusian projections are downward and all is lost.

The reality is the Bills are not, and never were, a playoff team this year. They need to be watched for development-- i.e., are they getting better at year's end? And getting better does not mean a linear path upward, it does not work that way. One step forward, one back. Two forward, one back. Three forward, two back. You get the point.

It's too early to tell where this team will be at year's end. I thought they would go 2-6, maybe 3-5 in the first half, and I hoped for 5-3 or 4-4 in the second half for 7-9, seeing improvement and identifying areas of weakness where we would devote resources next year, and maybe get to the 10-6 level.

So far, I have not been disappointed. Although his last two games have been a step back, I can see Losman will be a solid, perhaps a top 7 or so, starting QB with some time. QB is mostly about brains and understanding the game, and for the first time this year I can see JP gets it. He'll continue to have rough patches, but he's going to be fine--that's a big plus.

Clearly the lines need more work. But that's 10-15 guys, and Rome was not built in a day. I think more resources will be poured into the lines next year, and let's hope for good decisions.

I think the team will be 3-5 at the half way point, which is OK. If they can go 4-4 in the second half, especially given some of the teams they have to play(Indy, SD, Jax and Baltimore) and we see continued progress as an overall proposition, this season will still be a success to me, and hopefully set the stage for next year, after the new regime has a full year under its belt... CD

Excellent post. Just curious...where do you and the rest of the rational people typically hang out when you're not slumming it here?

806673[/snapback]

My day job is to keep large multi-national corporations and their money safe from other large corporations, the government and regular people in court. At night, I take the various resources I have obtained from that endeavor and try and help get moderate Democrats elected to Congress, and hopefully the White House in 2008, so I can pay more in taxes to help balance the budget, keep the environment safe, and try and avoid unnecessary wars and keep the military strong on a go-forward basis, to leave a better future for our kids.

Just a day's work from a confused Polish guy from Buffalo, living in the nation's capital. But the Board is a good place to hang out when Bills induced depression sets in on a Monday.