A Few Thoughts About The Game

1) Eureka! Jabari Greer made a good play. It was early on, and he threw Williams on his ass at the line of scrimage. I have never seen him make a good play before.

2) The Bills have a dirty little srcret, but I am going to reveal it......Melvin Fowler is not good at snapping the football. Our first offensive play of the season was a clue. I am thinking that having a center who is bad at snapping the ball is a bad thing, but what do I know?

3) Ko Simpson was a steal, right? Well, his interception was beautiful, but his coverage was ugly.

4) Question to those who blast Schobel......Does Backus count as a good or bad Left Tackle? Oh yeah, I think that Schobel played well.

5) Moorman is comparable to Ray Guy, and that is as nice a thing as can be said. Alaska Darin, s.i.c., and a few others know what I'm talking about.

6) Gandy is bad, and I mean very bad. No bullsiht, were it up top me he would be benched for the rookie. Oh, and for the first time, my patience is wearing thin with Mcnally.

7) The touchdown to Parrish was a very strange play. The pass by JP was a great one and Parrish, to his credit, broke his route to set up the play. I suppose we should thank the left side of our line for their total collapse. Way to go Tutan! :(

8) Wanna talk about Losman? He IS talented enough to be a good qb in the future, but this will probably never happen. Guys like Levy, TD, Jauron and Mike Murlackey think that little guys are the way to go in terms of building a team. At this rate, I am sad to say that JP might be in an ICU ward by the time he develops. Sad, very sad.

9) To you bettors.....take the Bills next week. I think my record at RWS is 9-3, and we will be there Sunday!

10) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Line play, both of them, left a lot to be desired. Then again, where were we impressive yesterday? Bad game overall. Time to shake it off and pull off the upset this weekend.

Is anyone going to be @ the game this week? I dunno. I haven't heard much talk about it.

2) The Bills have a dirty little srcret, but I am going to reveal it......Melvin Fowler is not good at snapping the football. Our first offensive play of the season was a clue. I am thinking that having a center who is bad at snapping the ball is a bad thing, but what do I know?

4) Question to those who blast Schobel......Does Backus count as a good or bad Left Tackle? Oh yeah, I think that Schobel played well.

6) Gandy is bad, and I mean very bad. No bullsiht, were it up top me he would be benched for the rookie. Oh, and for the first time, my patience is wearing thin with Mcnally.

7) The touchdown to Parrish was a very strange play. The pass by JP was a great one and Parrish, to his credit, broke his route to set up the play. I suppose we should thank the left side of our line for their total collapse. Way to go Tutan!  :(

8) Wanna talk about Losman? He IS talented enough to be a good qb in the future, but this will probably never happen. Guys like Levy, TD, Jauron and Mike Murlackey think that little guys are the way to go in terms of building a team. At this rate, I am sad to say that JP might be in an ICU ward by the time he develops. Sad, very sad.

806063[/snapback]

Great remarks.

On Melvin Fowler: I don't see the issue with his snaps - they look fine - apart from that first one of the year. I DO think it is a shame we couldn't work Duke Preston into C much faster, I think he's shown that he could be a mainstay there for quite some time. the Folwer signing put off the inevitable. But I guess we suck so bad at Guard we need a guy like Duke to cover 3 guys asses.

On Schobel: I think Kelsay and Denney impressed more than Schobel. That said he did OK locking down the one side, but he's on the wane now and doesn't routinely show the speed the be a premier edge rusher. His play is let down by the overall performance against the run, and our inability to pressure Kitna.

On Gandy: I have seen 4 Bills games this year. In EVERY outing I have ended up screaming at the screen that Gandy isn't moving his feet. Jason Peters is the heir to that throne - get his crowned now and let's see what happens.

On JP: I agree he has the skills, he really is impressing me so far this year - seems like a different guy. The funky hitch in the passing motion seems to have gone. But you are so right about the size thing - compare Roy Williams and Lee Evans. Size mismatch anyone? Who makes the better target? This Offence needs some bigger bodies, fast.

Great remarks.

On Melvin Fowler: I don't see the issue with his snaps - they look fine - apart from that first one of the year.  I DO think it is a shame we couldn't work Duke Preston into C much faster, I think he's shown that he could be a mainstay there for quite some time.  the Folwer signing put off the inevitable.  But I guess we suck so bad at Guard we need a guy like Duke to cover 3 guys asses.

On Schobel: I think Kelsay and Denney impressed more than Schobel. That said he did OK locking down the one side, but he's on the wane now and doesn't routinely show the speed the be a premier edge rusher.  His play is let down by the overall performance against the run, and our inability to pressure Kitna.

On Gandy: I have seen 4 Bills games this year.  In EVERY outing I have ended up screaming at the screen that Gandy isn't moving his feet.  Jason Peters is the heir to that throne - get his crowned now and let's see what happens.

On JP:  I agree he has the skills, he really is impressing me so far this year - seems like a different guy. The funky hitch in the passing motion seems to have gone.  But you are so right about the size thing - compare Roy Williams and Lee Evans.  Size mismatch anyone?  Who makes the better target?  This Offence needs some bigger bodies, fast.

806072[/snapback]

Nice points there.

Schobel is a decent pass rusher, but still struggles against the run. The rest of the D line struggles to consistently provide a pass rush, which is why there are times an opposing QB has all day to pick which receiver they want to use to put the dagger into Bills fans' hearts.

JP is not the problem entirely. He does make mistakes, but we should expect this from a guy w/out a ton of experience as a starter. These are the growing pains he should've had last year.

Gandy is a decent backup. That's about it. He made an okay DE look like an All Pro yesterday. We need an upgrade there @ LT, as well as RG, since Villarrial is obviously on the decline.

Nice points there. 

Schobel is a decent pass rusher, but still struggles against the run.  The rest of the D line struggles to consistently provide a pass rush, which is why there are times an opposing QB has all day to pick which receiver they want to use to put the dagger into Bills fans' hearts.

JP is not the problem entirely.  He does make mistakes, but we should expect this from a guy w/out a ton of experience as a starter.  These are the growing pains he should've had last year.

Gandy is a decent backup.  That's about it.  He made an okay DE look like an All Pro yesterday.  We need an upgrade there @ LT, as well as RG, since Villarrial is obviously on the decline.

806075[/snapback]

YET AGAIN the OL blew sheep. Yet again we won't draft to fix this problem, because we'll be too busy drafting "best player available."

YET AGAIN the OL blew sheep. Yet again we won't draft to fix this problem, because we'll be too busy drafting "best player available."

806078[/snapback]

Both lines were bad today, but I see where you're going w/ this. If I were the GM, I'd go after veteran help @ RG and look to draft a very good LT prospect. I'd also look to get a dependable pass rusher, whether they come from the draft or free agency.

Both lines were bad today, but I see where you're going w/ this.  If I were the GM, I'd go after veteran help @ RG and look to draft a very good LT prospect.  I'd also look to get a dependable pass rusher, whether they come from the draft or free agency.

806080[/snapback]

I would do the above, and see if Steinbach would take 40 million dollars to come to Buffalo. The cap space is there; there will in fact be tons of it.

The desire to spend it may or may not be another story.

Both lines were bad today, but I see where you're going w/ this.  If I were the GM, I'd go after veteran help @ RG and look to draft a very good LT prospect.  I'd also look to get a dependable pass rusher, whether they come from the draft or free agency.

806080[/snapback]

But you know it's not going to happen. Hasn't happened in a decade and a half, why should it happen now?

806078[/snapback]

They do this, just to piss you off Joe. Marv, and TD before that, sat in there office trying to think of ways just to have you pop a vein. :(

Gandy is a decent backup.  That's about it.  He made an okay DE look like an All Pro yesterday.  We need an upgrade there @ LT, as well as RG, since Villarrial is obviously on the decline.

806075[/snapback]

You are right we need upgrades, but given how poor the OL has been the last few weeks, I am convinced we need to shuffle and see what works better...

On my team this year we rarely went into a game with the same starting front 5, and while it sucked as a player to always be on the line between bench and field, it meant we had 11 OL willing to fight it out in practise and on the field to make sure they kept their spot.

I know British Am Ft and NFL are a little ways apart, but we have gotta do something to put a rocket up their asses.

I think we really need to see what Jason Peters can do at LT, and I think Brad Butler needs a shot on the field now at RT, just to see if that mean streak plays out in the NFL.

I'm a bit more schizophrenic on Villarial. Sometimes I like what I see, and at other times I wonder what I ever liked about him. To me the big problem is that you don't really want to see Duke in their on every down at G, he's definately a C not a G, and we haven't got anyone else you want to see in there. I think we can play tunes at LT, RT and C, but the guards are pretty hard to replace.

But seriously - Mouse was meant to be the man. I wonder whether we start to blame the workman or his tools.

They do this, just to piss you off Joe.  Marv, and TD before that, sat in there office trying to think of ways just to have you pop a vein.  :(

806087[/snapback]

I know. See, I could do a better job owning, coaching and GMing this team.

THAT is why they suck. When a fan off the street could do a better job at any of these three jobs, your franchise is in a state of suck that's gonna be a little bit difficult to get out of.

We are the 90s Bengals.

I would do the above, and see if Steinbach would take 40 million dollars to come to Buffalo. The cap space is there; there will in fact be tons of it.

The desire to spend it may or may not be another story.

806085[/snapback]

Like Joseph said, it won't happen, more than likely. It would be a very tough sell, but I would go after Steinbach and see what happens. I'd also look @ the top 5 LTs in the draft and start to figure out which one we could get. In the meantime, like Nicholas said, I'd look to find the best combination to get through the rest of this season, but the upgrades would be made @ season's end.

For this year I wouldn't make any wholesale changes at the O-line. While Gandy was terrible yesterday, he or the O-line hasn't played as bad as some has made them out to be. JP holding onto the ball and Fairchild's infatuation with deep drops and deep passes have a little to add to the problem. There were definitely 2, maybe 3 of those sacks in which JP didn't have a chance to setup. With as many 7 step drops called I'm suprise it hasn't been more. They need to simplify the offense and call more quick developing, high percentage pass plays and get the TE's and RB's involved more in the pass game.

And why is there such a big cry to move Peters to LT; especially this season? Since he is playing pretty well at RT, leave him there. Maybe next year we can find an upgrade to Gandy at LT and shift Gandy to LG or to the bench. But leave well enough alone and leave Peters at RT!

For this year I wouldn't make any wholesale changes at the O-line. While Gandy was terrible yesterday, he or the O-line hasn't played as bad as some has made them out to be. JP holding onto the ball and Fairchild's infatuation with deep drops and deep passes have a little to add to the problem. There were definitely 2, maybe 3 of those sacks in which JP didn't have a chance to setup. With as many 7 step drops called I'm suprise it hasn't been more. They need to simplify the offense and call more quick developing, high percentage pass plays and get the TE's and RB's involved more in the pass game.

And why is there such a big cry to move Peters to LT; especially this season? Since he is playing pretty well at RT, leave him there. Maybe next year we can find an upgrade to Gandy at LT and shift Gandy to LG or to the bench. But leave well enough alone and leave Peters at RT!

806101[/snapback]

I honestly do not believe Gandy is "well enough". I sure would love to be proven wrong.

In regards to JP. Some people complain about the dumb mistakes, trying to force the ball etc... however, I'm not to sure any other QB in the league would be better when given about a second to get rid of the ball. The boy is getting shell shocked. He need a o-line!!! The worst thing is that the fans have been saying o-line, o-line, o-line for years... instead they have gone everywhere BUT there.

O-LINE!!! REPEAT AFTER ME... HELL NO, WE CAN'T THROW, HELL NO, WE CAN'T THROW.

I honestly do not believe Gandy is "well enough".  I sure would love to be proven wrong.

806110[/snapback]

So he had one terrible game. The rest of the season while he might give up an occasional sack he hasn't been the revolving door some make him out to be. To me he is in the same situation as McGee: while they are not lockdown players they are OK players who occasionally have a bad game or stretch. They are not good enough though to be consistently put out on an island for they are not elite players and if they are then eventually they will get beat. It is up to the coaching staff to not get them exposed and adjust their gameplans to give them help. So while they both can be upgraded and we could do better, we could consistently game after game be doing much worse at those positions. No team has a Pro Bowl player at every position. But the good coaches know how to hide their weak players to get the most out of them.

for the first time, my patience is wearing thin with Mcnally.

806063[/snapback]

Gotta agree with you on this. Local guy blah blah blah. Gandy's play yesterday was so fundamentally bad even to my eyes that I wonder what kind of coaching he is getting. I don't know how the rook would do, but it couldn't be much worse.

Enjoy the game Sunday. Since you'll be there I'm placing a second mortgage on the house and taking the Bills.