No longer a Clements hater

generaLee83

I'm officially off of the hate Clements bandwagon and I'm going to refrain from my weekly rants towards him. Yes this is hypocrisy on my behalf and I'll take the hits for it.

I'm far far far far more concerned about Terrence McGee at this point.

He is clearly not showing the prowess necessary to be the #1 corner next year.

I do not want to see another secondary-centric draft next year, there is too much need at O-line, D-line and I'm also guessing at LB for the Bills to draft 7 more DB's in 2007.

Losing Clements and moving McGee to the #1 corner spot would seem to be a double edged sword.

Youboty hasn't seen 1 play this year (what does that suggest?) , Eric King was released in the offseason (questionable move IMO), K. Thomas shows some ability but is a gamble at this point and McGee has absolutely gotten owned most of this season.

Kind of like multiplication by subtraction.

Go ahead and point out my contradiction and hypocrisy but at least respond to my thread. This should concern all fans.

Atleast someone gets it. Were stuck right now. If we get rid of Clements we:

GAIN:

_____

1. The cap space from which we can get a few decent players (if that)

LOSE:

_____

1. A solid DB who doesnt always INT but he does blanket WR's (look at Steve Smith's stats against him last year)

2. We move McGee to #1 DB ... no way

3. Youboty is forced to step in and we *hope* he is good

4. We have to either pick up or draft another CB

Its just not worth it. Pay the guy.

Atleast someone gets it. Were stuck right now. If we get rid of Clements we:

GAIN:

_____

1. The cap space from which we can get a few decent players (if that)

LOSE:

_____

1. A solid DB who doesnt always INT but he does blanket WR's (look at Steve Smith's stats against him last year)

2. We move McGee to #1 DB ... no way

3. Youboty is forced to step in and we *hope* he is good

4. We have to either pick up or draft another CB

Its just not worth it. Pay the guy.

806008[/snapback]

All fair points, but I have to ask

Does Nate wants to get paid by Buffalo?

I'm officially off of the hate Clements bandwagon and I'm going to refrain from my weekly rants towards him.  Yes this is hypocrisy on my behalf and I'll take the hits for it. 

I'm far far far far more concerned about Terrence McGee at this point.

He is clearly not showing the prowess necessary to be the #1 corner next year.

I do not want to see another secondary-centric draft next year, there is too much need at O-line, D-line and I'm also guessing at LB for the Bills to draft 7 more DB's in 2007.

Losing Clements and moving McGee to the #1 corner spot would seem to be  a double edged sword. 

Youboty hasn't seen 1 play this year (what does that suggest?) , Eric King was released in the offseason (questionable move IMO), K. Thomas shows some ability but is a gamble at this point and McGee has absolutely gotten owned most of this season.

Kind of like multiplication by subtraction.

Go ahead and point out my contradiction and hypocrisy but at least respond to my thread.  This should concern all fans.

806003[/snapback]

I don't hate Clements at all. At one time, he was my favorite player on the team. It was prior to the 2005 season, when he started to be mentioned as the top "free-agent to be" for this past offseason, that his game tanked. I would never say that all of his problems are his alone, as with McGee. We have two rookie safeties that have bright futures, but still have a lot to learn. Despite the interception, Ko Simpson had a poor game today, and Whitner wasn't a lot better.

I think McGee is a more valuable player to the team, with his contributions on special teams. He is a liability against big physical recievers like Roy Wlliams. However just because McGee is not a good cover corner, doesn't mean we should overpay Clements to stay. He just is not playing up to his ability. He may play like the stud he seemed to be, surrounded by more talent, but he hasn't been a very positive difference maker for nearly a season and a half now.

I draw the analogy to the Sabres last year. Fans panicked because the Sabres let the teams best defensemen, and leading scorer go elsewhere. They got younger, and they got better. They weren't winning with those guys, so a change was justified.

When this team finally turns the corner toward respectability (and they will) there is a fairly good chance that half the starters in place right now, will no longer be on the team.

Most importantly, it doesn't matter how talented our secondary is, if our defensive line can't get any pressure, it is irrelevent. The Bills need to make building the offensive and defensive lines their #1 priority. As long as both of these units are sub-standard, we will never really have an honest idea of how good the talent behind them really is, and our win-loss record will never improve enough to make a difference.

The reason the Lions beat the Bills today was not so much that they were better. Martz was smart enough (unlike Mularkey and the Vikings OC) that the Bills could be run on. Martz was playing with 3 inexperienced guys on his line, and he realized it would be easier for those guys to push our Dline around, and run it, than to let Kitna throw. That plan opened up the passing

game for Kitna and Roy Williams...our d-line is a work in progress, but they are a long way from being good. That is where the money needs to be spent, unless there is major improvement shown by the end of the season.