Losman

Mikie2times

This was my first live Bills game this year. It was the first time I got a chance to watch how our receivers separated downfield. They reminded me of how I used to run patterns in high school. This is the pattern, and I'm going to run it exactly how it's drawn up. They don't try and juke the corner during the pattern; they just try and get from A to B as soon as possible. More times then not it leaves NOBODY to throw to. I'm upset over the outcome, and sick of making excuses for players. But I honestly think JP did the best he could with what was available today. If this is how our WR's have looked all year in person I don't know how we can ask JP to do much more. The guy can't be productive AND limit turnovers with this WR core. PP is not a threat anymore. JR has never been a legitimate threat. RP is a lethal 3, but would probably struggle with his size as a 2. LE is a player, but he's still adjusting to being the #1 option. All this with questionable pass blocking. We needed to put JP in a position this year to get an accurate read on his progression. To either go with him, or go in a different direction next year. I don't see how this team is doing that right now.

This was my first live Bills game this year. It was the first time I got a chance to watch how our receivers separated downfield. They reminded me of how I used to run patterns in high school. This is the pattern, and I'm going to run it exactly how it's drawn up. They don't try and juke the corner during the pattern; they just try and get from A to B as soon as possible. More times then not it leaves NOBODY to throw to. I'm upset over the outcome, and sick of making excuses for players. But I honestly think JP did the best he could with what was available today. If this is how our WR's have looked all year in person I don't know how we can ask JP to do much more.  The guy can't be productive AND limit turnovers with this WR core. PP is not a threat anymore. JR has never been a legitimate threat. RP is a lethal 3, but would probably struggle with his size as a 2. LE is a player, but he's still adjusting to being the #1 option.  All this with questionable pass blocking.  We needed to put JP in a position this year to get an accurate read on his progression. To either go with him, or go in a different direction next year. I don't see how this team is doing that right now.

805767[/snapback]

I for one would like to see if Sam Aiken's size can be put to good use in this offense.

I for one would like to see if Sam Aiken's size can be put to good use in this offense.

805772[/snapback]

Who knows. From what I've watched Aiken had problems separating also. I sat directly behind play, and only watched JP long enough to know if it was run or pass. The second it was pass I was trying to look at what JP could have been looking at. Obviously I had a much better view, but I could still see nothing. I mean literally nothing. On most the plays had he tried to make a play it would have been intercepted.

This was my first live Bills game this year. It was the first time I got a chance to watch how our receivers separated downfield. They reminded me of how I used to run patterns in high school. This is the pattern, and I'm going to run it exactly how it's drawn up. They don't try and juke the corner during the pattern; they just try and get from A to B as soon as possible. More times then not it leaves NOBODY to throw to. I'm upset over the outcome, and sick of making excuses for players. But I honestly think JP did the best he could with what was available today. If this is how our WR's have looked all year in person I don't know how we can ask JP to do much more.  The guy can't be productive AND limit turnovers with this WR core. PP is not a threat anymore. JR has never been a legitimate threat. RP is a lethal 3, but would probably struggle with his size as a 2. LE is a player, but he's still adjusting to being the #1 option.  All this with questionable pass blocking.  We needed to put JP in a position this year to get an accurate read on his progression. To either go with him, or go in a different direction next year. I don't see how this team is doing that right now.

805767[/snapback]

Well don't jump into the other thread that says JP sucks and has no "pocket awareness" they will tear you apart limb by limb, because we have great rec.'s that are always open.I haven't been to a game yet this year, but it doesn't surprise me that you say NOBODY is open because our rec.'s SUCK and the line can't block...pocket awareness is the problem..... :(

805767[/snapback]

Interesting.

Detroits receivers were often in space, wide open. What were they doing that the Bills weren't? Or is it just a matter of the line giving WRs more time to get open?

Interesting.

Detroits receivers were often in space, wide open. What were they doing that the Bills weren't? Or is it just a matter of the line giving WRs more time to get open?

805787[/snapback]

To be honest, today it wasn't. JP rolled out and bought time on several throws today. Our WR's just couldn't separate. They had 10 seconds on several plays but they couldn't get it done. What I have to ask is if it's been this bad for those that have attended games. I mean you can only see so much of the game on TV.

Well don't jump into the other thread that says JP sucks and has no "pocket awareness" they will tear you apart limb by limb, because we have great rec.'s that are always open.I haven't been to a game yet this year, but it doesn't surprise me that you say NOBODY is open because our rec.'s SUCK and the line can't block...pocket awareness is the problem..... :(

805785[/snapback]

Yep, all 10 guys suck except for JP...Go JP!

For the record East Brady, yeah, JP can improve quite a bit with his pocket awareness. That is only a small piece of the very imcomplete puzzle that is the Buffalo Bills.............from what KzooMike seen today, our WR's don't seem to be helping much either. Plus Gandy and our Dline suck donkey d***!

I can only vouge for the game that I was at, which was the vikes game. There were plenty of openings in the short passing game. Not so many on the deeper routes, although the medium hitch was open all day. I would certainly expect more help from the WR corps on a game to game basis as well though.

One thing I do keep in the back of my mind too is that this passing game is based purely on timing routes. It's a tough scheme to learn and execute well without a year or 2 in the system. That's not to say we could'nt be doing better at it though.

I can only vouge for the game that I was at, which was the vikes game. There were plenty of openings in the short passing game. Not so many on the deeper routes, although the medium hitch was open all day. I would certainly expect more help from the WR corps on a game to game basis as well though.

One thing I do keep in the back of my mind too is that this passing game is based purely on timing routes. It's a tough scheme to learn and execute well without a year or 2 in the system. That's not to say we could'nt be doing better at it though.

805797[/snapback]

They did run a ton of timing patterns. JP threw a gorgeous deep out timing pattern to Evans late in the game. For the most part it was slim pickens though. We have a lot of areas to address this off-season. The interior D is critical. That said if Buffalo ends up taking a tail dive and Calvin Johnson is available they’d be crazy not to take him.

Yep, all 10 guys suck except for JP...Go JP!

805791[/snapback]

You are vastly over simplifying things to make him sound stupid.

Coming into this season, the goal was improvement. Nobody was expecting a playoff team, just steps in the right direction.

Losman has shown the desired improvement. Today was his 4th game of the year with 61% or higher completion percentage. His high all of last year was 60.71%. He has also thrown for over 200 yards three times, as opposed to once all of last season. His sacks per attempt and interceptions per attempt are slightly lower than last season. He's playing his best football in the 4th Quarter of games. Progress has been made.

The rest of the team has not progressed. They've regressed. They've gotten worse. That's the frustrating part. That's what most reasonable people should be worried about. Incremental improvement from players and units from year to year is expected. Losman has done that. A lot of others have not.

Coming into this season, the goal was improvement. Nobody was expecting a playoff team, just steps in the right direction.

Losman has shown the desired improvement. Today was his 4th game of the year with 61% or higher completion percentage. His high all of last year was 60.71%. He has also thrown for over 200 yards three times, as opposed to once all of last season. His sacks per attempt and interceptions per attempt are slightly lower than last season. He's playing his best football in the 4th Quarter of games. Progress has been made.

The rest of the team has not progressed. They've regressed. They've gotten worse. That's the frustrating part. That's what most reasonable people should be worried about. Incremental improvement from players and units from year to year is expected. Losman has done that. A lot of others have not.

805801[/snapback]

You're right I was oversimplifying. It's a lame tactic but hey...JP apologists do it every day with their "He has to throw for 400 yards and put up HOF #'s otherwise he sucks" straw-man arguments.

I agree - he has gotten better from last year. Would you agree that's not saying much?

I find it mind-boggling that anybody could argue the OL or team as a whole outside of the QB position has gotten worse from a year ago...how many games did you watch last year?

805801[/snapback]

Very good points there Wraith. I do like the progress shown by our young safeties too , if I was able to add to the list. They haven't been perfect but have showed the type of progress you speak of.

You're right I was oversimplifying.  It's a lame tactic but hey...JP apologists do it every day with their "He has to throw for 400 yards and put up HOF #'s otherwise he sucks" straw-man arguments.

I agree - he has gotten better from last year.  Would you agree that's not saying much? 

I find it mind-boggling that anybody could argue the OL or team as a whole outside of the QB position has gotten worse from a year ago...how many games did you watch last year?

805804[/snapback]

In this particular case I was refering to the defense getting worse. Particularly the run defense. The oline has stayed pretty consistently bad.

First game of the season against the Patriots, I see our WRs and TEs making a little double move for the defender to bite for an easy completion. Right there I said, wow at last a WR getting open, what a novelty. Where are those moves now?

Today, Fairchild wakes up from his early nap and puts Losman in a position to succeed with those 3 step drops and short strikes. Losman goes 7 for 7, with the last completion to Neufeld for a TD on 74 yards drive.

Next drive, back to 7 step drops, we ended up punting the game away.

I just don't get it.

805767[/snapback]

I encourage everyone to do this before they critisize a Bills player ... watching a game on TV is extremely hard to judge a players performance. When you see the game you can see the WR's route, them seperating, the DB's coverage play after play and your not influenced by the media.

In this particular case I was refering to the defense getting worse. Particularly the run defense. The oline has stayed pretty consistently bad.

805806[/snapback]

Oh, IMO the pass protection is quite a bit better this year. The run defense stinks but that's nothing new....we did give Lamont Jordan half of his season's stats last year.

Oh, IMO the pass protection is quite a bit better this year.  The run defense stinks but that's nothing new....we did give Lamont Jordan half of his season's stats last year.

805816[/snapback]

I agree about the Pass Protect. In the past it's been an Achilles heal, it's still not great but it's not as bad as the last few years.

I'm not throwing out Moulds to argue about keeping him, but I think people underestimated his loss. PP basically owes his career to Moulds. The guys been a rock for us for over a decade and really opened things up for other players.