Sports in America are starting to Suck!!

Just heard it announced that Dale Earnhardt Jr was docked 25 points and also recieved a fine for useing the word Shi% in his post race interview. I watched the end of the race (after the Bills game of course) and I have to tell you the word slipped out, and it was not directed at anyone, or anything, and it was simply in the excitment of the moment. What ever happened to the networks responsibility? Why didn't they bleep out the dirty little word. hey, after all Shi$ happens down in winners circle...it is not a preschool environment.

So the result is, he goes from holding the points lead by 13 points to now trailing by 12 points.

This has to be one of the biggest chickenshi% moves I have ever seen in sports. If I was a racer I would not give a post race interview for the rest of the season.

Just imagine if it was the 7th game of the World Series and a team was down by one in the bottom of the 9th inning, and a player hits a walkoff two run home run to win the series. Then in the post game interview he said that he really "hit the Shi$ out of that ball. Only to have the at bat changed to an out, and the runs taken off the board. game over your team loses because you said a dirty word. I guess it could happen. The same thing might just have if somebody ends up beating Jr by 11 points to end the season....what a shame.

Just heard it announced that Dale Earnhardt Jr was docked 25 points and also recieved a fine for useing the word Shi% in his post race interview. I watched the end of the race (after the Bills game of course) and I have to tell you the word slipped out, and it was not directed at anyone, or anything, and it was simply in the excitment of the moment. What ever happened to the networks responsibility? Why didn't they bleep out the dirty little word. hey, after all Shi$ happens down in winners circle...it is not a preschool environment.

So the result is, he goes from holding the points lead by 13 points to now trailing by 12 points.

This has to be one of the biggest chickenshi% moves I have ever seen in sports. If I was a racer I would not give a post race interview for the rest of the season.

Just imagine if it was the 7th game of the World Series and a team was down by one in the bottom of the 9th inning, and a player hits a walkoff two run home run to win the series. Then in the post game interview he said that he really "hit the Shi$ out of that ball. Only to have the at bat changed to an out, and the runs taken off the board. game over your team loses because you said a dirty word. I guess it could happen. The same thing might just have if somebody ends up beating Jr by 11 points to end the season....what a shame.

57873[/snapback]

If Dale Jr. hung out here, he'd be so used to saying "stevestojan" instead that this never would have happened...

(And even though I don't care about the Winston - excuse me, Nextel - Cup, this is a load of horseshit. "Let's advertise beer and cigarettes to minors...but God forbid one of our racers shatter the image fostered by a decades-long heritage of moonshine running by uttering a PG-13 rated word!")

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
If Dale Jr. hung out here, he'd be so used to saying "stevestojan" instead that this never would have happened...

(And even though I don't care about the Winston - excuse me, Nextel - Cup, this is a load of horseshit.  "Let's advertise beer and cigarettes to minors...but God forbid one of our racers shatter the image fostered by a decades-long heritage of moonshine running by uttering a PG-13 rated word!")

57983[/snapback]

Ahh the hypocritical, baffling world of American life. IN MEDIA: Sex and cursing is bad, excessing drinking and violence is good.

I am embarassed every day, because we are the only national force who has to constantly be subjected to safety briefs, informational GMT(General Military Training) sessions, and constant meetings to discuss what you don't do... I feel like we are treated like children, while everyone else gets treated like adults.

I am not suprised it happened...

I don't agree with what the people that NASCAR have done with DE, Jr. I do think they are bit hyper sensitive as regards their public image. They have done a remarkable job increasing and diversifying their fan base from the a mere 15 years ago. They want their to portray a public image far removed from what many people see from other pro's, the drug using, wife abusing, money grubbing, flashy, blah, blah, blah. The image of NASCAR drivers is one of the few things they have to sell, and they feel it must be maintained at all costs. An easy parrallel is when Jake Plummer was fined for displaying #40 on his helmet in honor of Pat Tillman. The NFL relies on the sale of memorabilia (jerseys, shirts, hats, etc, etc) for big bux, that is why they have such strict rules regarding the uniforms appearance and why it can never be altered. Obviosuly once or twice (like the Plummer case) won't matter, but any student of marketing will tell you consistent apperance is a huge thing in developing a brand. In the DE case it is the same thing, just substitute behavior for appearance.

Having said all that, I agree with Richio (never thought I'd be saying that). given thier new "chase to the cup", this penalty is just plain stupid. Still, it is their (the France's) playground and they set the rules.

Bench Bledsoe (why not??)

I guess what really bugs me most is why the hell didn't NBC have this on a tape delay. Does anyone do any form of entertainment live anymore? Don't they have some level of responsibility here? I say yes they do.

I actually have no problem with the fine, I say 25k to these guys is no big deal. But those 25 points could very well cost him the championship and millions of dollars that go with it.

In my opinion, that is a bunch of stevestojan!

I am embarassed every day, because we are the only national force who has to constantly be subjected to safety briefs, informational GMT(General Military Training) sessions, and constant meetings to discuss what you don't do... I feel like we are treated like children, while everyone else gets treated like adults.

That's one of the reasons I rolled out of the Navy...that and doubling my paycheck...but I am treated so much better as a contractor....I had a HR person ask me after a recent trip if my hotel room was OK and if my ride to work was too far....I was dumbstruck. I felt like I was the CEO or something.

NASCAR is getting too sensitive about stuff. :w00t: About a month or so ago,they were upset about one of their sponsors,which is a big bottle of Powerade being knocked off of the winning cars in victory lane. The thing is some drivers dont sponsor Powerade,which is made by Coca-cola and some drivers sponsor Pepsi,which is made by Pepsi. So they started fining people. Then some drivers (the ones who dont sponsor Coca-cola/Powerade) started by just blocking the bottle with their own sponsor and still got fined.

On the Dale isue,Kurt Busch who has the lead now,said he wants to settle this on the track. I agree,because the fine was more than enough and there are still drivers out there who say stuff worse than what Junior said and still get away with it.

So NASCAR... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
That's one of the reasons I rolled out of the Navy...that and doubling my paycheck...but I am treated so much better as a contractor....I had a HR person ask me after a recent  trip if my hotel room was OK and if my ride to work was too far....I was dumbstruck. I felt like I was the CEO or something.

58279[/snapback]

Yes, I can see that... contractors and the military go hand in hand these days.

The Germans, Italians, Spanish, British, Canadians, Portuguese, and even Turkish enlisted are not subjected to the constant Puritan-like spiel we get. I think it's a running joke... too bad too, because we really have a great group of people here.

I get tired of hearing about the 'old school' Navy, because it will never come back, and PC will stay forever it seems... resistance is futile :w00t:

I get tired of hearing about the 'old school' Navy, because it will never come back, and PC will stay forever it seems... resistance is futile :w00t:
That is a huge reason people get out. You treat a 35 y/o like he's 10 and it wears on you. The leadership in the Navy is out of touch. PC is killing the military.

That is a huge reason people get out. You treat a 35 y/o like he's 10 and it wears on you.  The leadership in the Navy is out of touch. PC is killing the military.

58760[/snapback]

That reminds me of a funny story. 10 years ago I was at my Officer Basic Course. This old government schlub was teaching basic electricity to 35 brand new lieutenants, most of whom had gone through ROTC where everything is PC. I was nodding off since what he was covering I learned in high school physics, but then he said something that just made me roar with laughter. He was covering current and said, "Maybe some of you ladies (referring to the dozen or so women in the class) have seen on your vacuum cleaners the amperage rating on the motor?" I can still see the looks of shock on my classmates faces. You can't say that! Men use vacuum cleaners, too.

I'm laughing about it right now. God, that was funny. :w00t::o;)