I no longer believe in our philosophies

Rubes

This game was a complete failure across the board, from the players to the coaches. But one thing was painfully clear: as much as it pains me to say it, Jerry Sullivan was 100% dead on this morning in his column. This game, not the Chicago game, was the game to show what this team is made of.

The answer, of course, is not a whole lot.

There aren't many places to begin; I can't really think of anyone except maybe Lindell and Moorman who really did their job well. But what's really disturbing is that our philosophies, on both offense and defense, are just plain crap. Whether that's due to preparation, execution, or decision-making, I don't know. Is it because we lack the talent to implement these strategies? Or is it because these strategies just don't work well? I don't know. Does it really matter?

Our offense seems to be predicated on running the ball and throwing medium and deep passes. Problem is, you really need an offensive line to do either of those. Willis being the leading rusher in the league at any point this season has to be the #1 most misleading stat. We can't run the ball, and we certainly can't run the ball when we need to. And even more disturbing is that Fairchild just seems to want nothing more than to have JP do 7-step drops. Guess what? We suck as pass blocking. Our five guys can't handle four pass rushers. Hell, even an extra running back or tight end can't handle that.

When did JP look most comfortable and successful? When we did 3-step drops and quick passes. We moved down the field effectively doing that on one drive. Then when we get within sniffing distance of the goal line, Fairchild throws that plan out the window. Too often Fairchild tries to be cute instead of keeping the chains moving. How about trying to fool them with the shotgun formation on 2nd and 2? That was a good one.

On defense, I don't even know what to say. I'm tired of hearing the same excuses over and over. Everybody in the world knows we really can't stop the run when an opponent decides to stick to it, and it's just embarrassing. This was a team missing most of its starting offensive linemen, and they made it look easy. How is it that this strategy is supposed to work again? Is it just poor discipline, or a real lack of ability? Either way, this is a really crappy strategy to implement if these are the tools we have to work with.

And as for our secondary, it really is a complete embarrassment that our two most senior members are crapping the bed. McGee should just have a big target painted on his chest. Roy Williams is eating up the secondary...what does Fewell do about it? Anything? Anybody? Maybe put Clements on him once in a while? Double cover him? Does anyone have an answer for this, or are we just crossing our fingers and hoping that McGee will figure out how to play corner? Do any of our corners except for Greer even *try* to knock the receivers at the line? The Lions receivers wandered around our defensive backfield all day unimpaired, yet every time our receivers catch a ball they have a defender on their back. Hmm, maybe we should give that a try?

The most painful thing about this loss is not the loss. It's the wake-up call. The first quarter of the season was just a temporary blip while the rest of the league, even the doormats, got a chance to figure out that all you have to do is take advantage of our weaknesses and you'll be fine.

I've been saying all along that this is a rebuilding year, and it will be another year or two before this team really shows if it's arrived. But I fully expect a promising team to be better than this. I didn't think we had a whole lot farther to go to be good, but this loss just proves that I was terribly wrong about that.

Our offense seems to be predicated on running the ball and throwing medium and deep passes.

805314[/snapback]

its seems the majority of the passes we complete are short of the 1st down marker and making our receivers (attempt to) get it with YAC.

I wish our receivers would take their routes a little beyond the maker.

Yeah, we didn't stay disciplined in our lanes...........I'm sick of it too man. We are pathetic vs. the run and Larry Tripplett IS A BUST. What's worse, there ain't a damn thing we can do about it for the rest of the year.

805330[/snapback]

accoring to another thread we could trade Nate Clements to TB for Booger McFarland...who knows how much it would help.

This game was a complete failure across the board, from the players to the coaches. But one thing was painfully clear: as much as it pains me to say it, Jerry Sullivan was 100% dead on this morning in his column. This game, not the Chicago game, was the game to show what this team is made of.

There aren't many places to begin; I can't really think of anyone except maybe Lindell and Moorman who really did their job well. But what's really disturbing is that our philosophies, on both offense and defense, are just plain crap. Whether that's due to preparation, execution, or decision-making, I don't know. Is it because we lack the talent to implement these strategies? Or is it because these strategies just don't work well? I don't know. Does it really matter?

Our offense seems to be predicated on running the ball and throwing medium and deep passes. Problem is, you really need an offensive line to do either of those. Willis being the leading rusher in the league at any point this season has to be the #1 most misleading stat. We can't run the ball, and we certainly can't run the ball when we need to. And even more disturbing is that Fairchild just seems to want nothing more than to have JP do 7-step drops. Guess what? We suck as pass blocking. Our five guys can't handle four pass rushers. Hell, even an extra running back or tight end can't handle that.

When did JP look most comfortable and successful? When we did 3-step drops and quick passes. We moved down the field effectively doing that on one drive. Then when we get within sniffing distance of the goal line, Fairchild throws that plan out the window. Too often Fairchild tries to be cute instead of keeping the chains moving. How about trying to fool them with the shotgun formation on 2nd and 2? That was a good one.

On defense, I don't even know what to say. I'm tired of hearing the same excuses over and over. Everybody in the world knows we really can't stop the run when an opponent decides to stick to it, and it's just embarrassing. This was a team missing most of its starting offensive linemen, and they made it look easy. How is it that this strategy is supposed to work again? Is it just poor discipline, or a real lack of ability? Either way, this is a really crappy strategy to implement if these are the tools we have to work with.

And as for our secondary, it really is a complete embarrassment that our two most senior members are crapping the bed. McGee should just have a big target painted on his chest. Roy Williams is eating up the secondary...what does Fewell do about it? Anything? Anybody? Maybe put Clements on him once in a while? Double cover him? Does anyone have an answer for this, or are we just crossing our fingers and hoping that McGee will figure out how to play corner? Do any of our corners except for Greer even *try* to knock the receivers at the line? The Lions receivers wandered around our defensive backfield all day unimpaired, yet every time our receivers catch a ball they have a defender on their back. Hmm, maybe we should give that a try?

The most painful thing about this loss is not the loss. It's the wake-up call. The first quarter of the season was just a temporary blip while the rest of the league, even the doormats, got a chance to figure out that all you have to do is take advantage of our weaknesses and you'll be fine.

I've been saying all along that this is a rebuilding year, and it will be another year or two before this team really shows if it's arrived. But I fully expect a promising team to be better than this. I didn't think we had a whole lot farther to go to be good, but this loss just proves that I was terribly wrong about that.

805314[/snapback]

O line D line QB. Thats how you build a team.

805314[/snapback]

Amen to that. We never can establish any consistency all year long as we don't call enough high percentage short quick pass plays. Everyone knows we will pound Willis and try to go deep. Without involving the TE's or RB's into the passing game or throwing more short passes that allow RAC yards how do you expect to develop a rhythm?

805314[/snapback]

It's a shame that our rookie safeties are playing better than our veteran supposedly lockdown cornerbacks!

The problem lays with Mr Wilson who hires jackass after jackass to manage and coach this team.

Being a cheap bastard with coaches and thinking your going to win does not cut it...

805338[/snapback]

I agree here he fell into The Polian/Levy Regime.

805314[/snapback]

Awesome post, Rubes....this is exactly the sort of analysis I rely on after the games that I'm only able to monitor on nfl.com. Hopefully in the coming weeks we'll be able to see a lot of the points you bring up resolved, and the Bills improving on both sides of the ball.

I promised myself I'd give it until the half way mark of the season before I started to get either too excited or too pissed off, but we sure don't seem to be heading in the right direction. Today should have been the equivalent of the Jax/Jets game from last week, with our Bills playing the role of the Jags. Oh well....

Awesome post, Rubes....this is exactly the sort of analysis I rely on after the games that I'm only able to monitor on nfl.com. Hopefully in the coming weeks we'll be able to see a lot of the points you bring up resolved, and the Bills improving on both sides of the ball.

I promised myself I'd give it until the half way mark of the season before I started to get either too excited or too pissed off, but we sure don't seem to be heading in the right direction. Today should have been the equivalent of the Jax/Jets game from last week, with our Bills playing the role of the Jags. Oh well....

805432[/snapback]

Thanks...you know, I don't really expect the Bills to be executing perfectly at this point. We're trying to implement new offensive and defensive schemes, and much of that with new players. It will take time for these guys to get it right.

The problem is that we should be seeing progression, not regression. I can't think of one position on this team where we've actually shown improvement over the course of the year. Except maybe Lindell and Moorman.

Thanks...you know, I don't really expect the Bills to be executing perfectly at this point. We're trying to implement new offensive and defensive schemes, and much of that with new players. It will take time for these guys to get it right.

The problem is that we should be seeing progression, not regression. I can't think of one position on this team where we've actually shown improvement over the course of the year. Except maybe Lindell and Moorman.

805574[/snapback]

I agree...I don't care how good Chicago is, or is supposed to be, we should have played them tougher than we did. A team on the rise should be able to go into a hostile house against a top team and have them thinking, "wow, we won the game but those guy are hungry over there!". We should be past the "embarrassments" and beginning to exhibit some of the traits that winning teams possess. When I was monitoring the game today, I thought I saw JP and the boys starting to do what needed to be done in the 4th and walk out of there with a win. It wouldn't have mattered what happened in the first half, just like it didn't realy matter that we spanked the Pats in their place in the first half of that game. They won cause they are winners, and they did what they needed to do.

Today should have been a very solid victory for us. A winless team that is banged up, with a journeyman QB and a new set of coaches....we should have won the game. I'm not giving up on JP just yet, cause from what I can tell he's at least better than he was last year, and at times he's done some very impressive things. But we're pretty much at the point where he needs to put up or shut up and start to take this team on his shoulders a LITTLE bit. Our sieve of a defense didn't help, of course....