Chances of TV coming back to coach

When they originally put him on IR, I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that Ralph liked Vincent a lot, and had some ambitions to give him a front office job...

BTW, if you read the article on the front page, the one from BuffaloBills.com, uses some old quotes, from week 1, where Vincent says things like "I am an adult, I understand this is business, no hard feelings, etc etc"...but then you read the one from the Times Union, and they are saying he is very upset with the way the team handled his situation...two different versions of the same story...either way, good luck TV, I wish it had all worked out better for the Bills and you!

I think it would be a great if he was coach but I think he's got a sour taste in his mouth about the organization.

803279[/snapback]

"I understand the nature of the business and I understand that injuries come along with the business," he said. "I'm a big boy, I know the ins and outs. And I understand what is best for the team and to not be selfish."

Thats a sour taste to you?

TV is not a guy to make a false step. It looked like he was angling to help someone win now, from the very beginning of this (unusual) IR stint.

He very much looks like a player for a number of years to come.

"I understand the nature of the business and I understand that injuries come along with the business," he said. "I'm a big boy, I know the ins and outs. And I understand what is best for the team and to not be selfish."

803283[/snapback]

That is an old quote, from 5 weeks ago. Read this current article, with quotes from the last few days...he still sounds tempered in his criticism, but not as happy as BB.com would have you think:

Bills grant Vincent's request to be released

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer

October 12, 2006

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Troy Vincent is a free agent after the Buffalo Bills granted the veteran defensive back's wish to be released Thursday.

The team announced in a two-paragraph statement that it terminated Vincent from its injured reserve list.

Vincent told The Associated Press earlier in the day that he anticipated the move, saying he made the request to be released on Wednesday. The 15-year NFL veteran said he's open to offers to play for another team now that he's fully recovered from a left hamstring injury that led Buffalo to place him on IR four weeks ago.

"I'm ready to go," the 35-year-old Vincent said. "To be fair, it was the right time for me. ... Now's the time for me to look at where I'm at. And I still want to play some football."

Coach Dick Jauron was not available for comment following the announcement, but had anticipated the move earlier in the day.

Vincent had already cleared out his locker and his nameplate was no longer above his stall.

While Vincent said he enjoyed his two-plus seasons in Buffalo, he's not pleased with how the team handled his status after he was hurt in the Bills season-opening loss at New England.

Citing their depleted depth at safety, the Bills placed Vincent on IR to clear a roster spot even though his injury was considered relatively minor.

The Bills were also down veteran strong safety Matt Bowen, who has yet to play since breaking a bone in his lower right leg in August. Bowen and Vincent's injuries forced the team to start two rookie safeties, first-round pick Donte Whitner and fourth-rounder Ko Simpson.

Vincent, who had three years left on his contract beyond this season, believes the decision to put him on injured reserve was a way for the team to cut him by taking the unusual step of placing him on what's known as IR-minor.

While the designation meant Vincent was guaranteed his $2.6 million salary this season, it also would have allowed the team to release him once he was healthy.

"That was a front-office decision and you live with it," Vincent said. "When they put me on IR-minor, it's clear that's a decision they made that tells me they don't want you around. ... You don't want to be in a place where you're not wanted."

Vincent was surprised by the IR move particularly after he made the season-opening roster and after he initially hurt his hamstring in training camp.

A four-time Pro Bowl selection, Vincent is coming off a strong season in which he posted a career-high 102 tackles and led the Bills with four interceptions in 16 starts. He entered this season with 47 interceptions, most among active players.

He's one short of appearing in his 200th career game. Miami's first-round pick in the 1992 draft, Vincent played four seasons with the Dolphins before signing with Philadelphia as a free agent in 1996.

Vincent played the next eight seasons with the Eagles before signing with the Bills as a free agent in 2004. After spending his first 12 seasons as a cornerback, Vincent made the switch to free safety in his first season with Buffalo following the emergence of Terrence McGee.

Vincent was also re-elected last spring as the NFL Players Association president.

That is an old quote, from 5 weeks ago.  Read this current article, with quotes from the last few days...he still sounds tempered in his criticism, but not as happy as BB.com would have you think:

Bills grant Vincent's request to be released

By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer

October 12, 2006

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Troy Vincent is a free agent after the Buffalo Bills granted the veteran defensive back's wish to be released Thursday.

The team announced in a two-paragraph statement that it terminated Vincent from its injured reserve list.

Vincent told The Associated Press earlier in the day that he anticipated the move, saying he made the request to be released on Wednesday. The 15-year NFL veteran said he's open to offers to play for another team now that he's fully recovered from a left hamstring injury that led Buffalo to place him on IR four weeks ago.

"I'm ready to go," the 35-year-old Vincent said. "To be fair, it was the right time for me. ... Now's the time for me to look at where I'm at. And I still want to play some football."

Coach Dick Jauron was not available for comment following the announcement, but had anticipated the move earlier in the day.

Vincent had already cleared out his locker and his nameplate was no longer above his stall.

While Vincent said he enjoyed his two-plus seasons in Buffalo, he's not pleased with how the team handled his status after he was hurt in the Bills season-opening loss at New England.

Citing their depleted depth at safety, the Bills placed Vincent on IR to clear a roster spot even though his injury was considered relatively minor.

The Bills were also down veteran strong safety Matt Bowen, who has yet to play since breaking a bone in his lower right leg in August. Bowen and Vincent's injuries forced the team to start two rookie safeties, first-round pick Donte Whitner and fourth-rounder Ko Simpson.

Vincent, who had three years left on his contract beyond this season, believes the decision to put him on injured reserve was a way for the team to cut him by taking the unusual step of placing him on what's known as IR-minor.

While the designation meant Vincent was guaranteed his $2.6 million salary this season, it also would have allowed the team to release him once he was healthy.

"That was a front-office decision and you live with it," Vincent said. "When they put me on IR-minor, it's clear that's a decision they made that tells me they don't want you around. ... You don't want to be in a place where you're not wanted."

Vincent was surprised by the IR move particularly after he made the season-opening roster and after he initially hurt his hamstring in training camp.

A four-time Pro Bowl selection, Vincent is coming off a strong season in which he posted a career-high 102 tackles and led the Bills with four interceptions in 16 starts. He entered this season with 47 interceptions, most among active players.

He's one short of appearing in his 200th career game. Miami's first-round pick in the 1992 draft, Vincent played four seasons with the Dolphins before signing with Philadelphia as a free agent in 1996.

Vincent played the next eight seasons with the Eagles before signing with the Bills as a free agent in 2004. After spending his first 12 seasons as a cornerback, Vincent made the switch to free safety in his first season with Buffalo following the emergence of Terrence McGee.

Vincent was also re-elected last spring as the NFL Players Association president.

803297[/snapback]

The only thing he said out of that entire report that sounded bad was when he said "You don't want to be in a place where you're not wanted." But before I judge I would like to see the entire interview. It has been my experience that interviews like to setup players by asking questions that strain them towards the answer they want. Do you have the whole interview?

TV is not a guy to make a false step. It looked like he was angling to help someone win now, from the very beginning of this (unusual) IR stint.

He very much looks like a player for a number of years to come.

803290[/snapback]

Maybe he will go to the Dolphins where the Bills can exploit his lack of speed and quickness.

He's 35 years old and injury prone.

803283[/snapback]

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-b...ov=ap&type=lgns

I can't possibly see that meaning anything else other than him feeling shafted.

Maybe he will go to the Dolphins where the Bills can exploit his lack of speed and quickness.

He's 35 years old and injury prone.

803324[/snapback]

Thank you, I have the same feelings. Ole Troy should be on his knees thanking the lord he wasn't cut in training camp, with no guaranteed money.

I am 100% convinced that if he was not injured, he would have been cut anyway. I think Marv worked this with as much class and respect for a 13 year vet as he could. The Bills only mistake in handling this was not to cut him LAST year in Training camp.

I am not blasting TV the person, only TV the player. Every player that makes the pros has to have a pretty healthy ego, and never wants to be told he's done.

I would be shocked if anyone picks him up unless they get completely decimated in the secondary.

Whaaa TV, You get 2.6mil guaranteed from the Bills for playing in a couple plays week one. At your age you should be glad you got anything to play as long as you did this year. Now you got what you wanted, a release, and can go to whatever team that will sign you and collect more money.

I wouldn't be complaining if I was cut and still got to make 2.6mil this year. Heck, given me 10% of that and I'll step on the field and last about as long as TV did this season

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-b...ov=ap&type=lgns

I can't possibly see that meaning anything else other than him feeling shafted.

803327[/snapback]

Perhaps it's a semantic argument but I don't think so. You don't have to feel "shafted" when you're disappointed in something. Vincent is a smart guy and chooses his words carefully because of his union job. There's a very good chance that he thinks the Bills were dead wrong, and he's hurt by what they did, meaning his ego is hurt, and yet doesn't feel shafted by the Bills. He's saying he knows they don't want him, which means they don't think he's good enough to play any more, or that they want to play a rookie 4th round draft choice ahead of him. And he's a professional athlete that still thinks he's good, as every single one of them do.

It's like a getting dumped by a girl that you like a lot and still want to go out with. Some guys are automatically going to feel "shafted", or she did me wrong because I'm so good for her. And they'd probably be wrong. And some guys are going to just be hurt, and think she's making a big mistake, and say, "you don't want to be with a girl who doesn't want you". That guy wouldn't feel shafted, which connotates that he was fukked over, and bitter about it.

Thank you, I have the same feelings. Ole Troy should be on his knees thanking the lord he wasn't cut in training camp, with no guaranteed money.

I am 100% convinced that if he was not injured, he would have been cut anyway. I think Marv worked this with as much class and respect for a 13 year vet as he could. The Bills only mistake in handling this was not to cut him LAST year in Training camp.

I am not blasting TV the person, only TV the player. Every player that makes the pros has to have a pretty healthy ego, and never wants to be told he's done.

I would be shocked if anyone picks him up unless they get completely decimated in the secondary.

803379[/snapback]

Guaranteed he'll be in Foxboro next week, if just for a look-see by Belicheck. Aging, bitter vet with some left in the tank to play a role on D is how that guy stocks his team.

803379[/snapback]

I would be equally shocked if he is not signed somewhere, by someone in the next few weeks. Remember, everyone thought Rod Woodson was washed up when the Steelers let him go, and then he went on to be a fairly productive player, on a Super Bowl team. TV's starting days may be behind him, but he can still contribute some quality depth, to a team with more developed talent than the Bills have. With the Bills paying him a nice salary for nothing, he will likely sign for little to play for a contender.

The only thing he said out of that entire report that sounded bad was when he said "You don't want to be in a place where you're not wanted."  But before I judge I would like to see the entire interview. It has been my experience that interviews like to setup players by asking questions that strain them towards the answer they want. Do you have the whole interview?

803301[/snapback]

No, I just have the article, sorry I wasn't there for the whole thing! :doh:

Since we are both leaning on our experience as professional athletes, it has been "my experience" that there are PR statements like the ones you are citing, and then there is the real story.