Head of British Army calls for Iraq withdrawal

chicot

Chief of staff's comments

"Let's face it, the military campaign we fought in 2003, effectively kicked the door in."

"As a foreigner, you can be welcomed by being invited in a country, but we weren't invited certainly by those in Iraq at the time."

"Whatever consent we may have had in the first place, may have turned to tolerance and has largely turned to intolerance."

For the head of the British Army to be speaking like this is a pretty significant development.

Pass the Tea. <_<

Your usual Doom and Gloom chicot, thanks. You must be popular.

Hows the Suicide Bomber funding going? 0:)

803127[/snapback]

Not his doom and gloom. Those are quotes.

(After reading what I wrote below, here comes the doom and gloom.)

I too got a little caught up in the blue-fingered voters, but do you think Iraq is better off now? I know. I know. Saddam the butcher is out of power. And is there a better life on the horizon? Even a distant horizon? Things are bad in Iraq. Once we leave, they will probably get worse, but while we're there, they are not likely to get better.

Bush got us into a Catch-22. I hope there's someone smarter coming to find some way out of this. The current crew sees no solution besides the soundbyte "We'll leave when the job is done." Whatever that means. 500 Billion and counting...current troop levels through 2010 should get us up over a trillion no problem.

And what cost to the dead?

This Iraq thing is really starting to get me down. I had some optimism that the BS takeover of Iraq might actually lead to something good. Now I don't. I'm so perplexed by this mess that I can't answer the question, "Should we pull our troops out?" It's a simple question. I have no idea how to answer it. !@#$.

VABills, Wacka...one of you ninnies post so I can direct this frustration at you.

Cut and run!? Cowards! Chickenshits!?

Let's just stay and keep killing people and watching our soldiers die and get maimed. Shoot, to leave now would be be..UNMANLY. Boy howdy, no self-respektin cowboy would do it.

On the other hand, who wants to be the last one to die for a mistake...or to ask a man to be the last one to die for a mistake...or ask someone to die for something stupid and meaningless? Seems I heard something like that somewhere, spoken by someone know knew what he was talking about. Too bad people don't listen and learn.

Pass the Tea. <_<

Your usual Doom and Gloom chicot, thanks. You must be popular.

Hows the Suicide Bomber funding going? 0:)

803127[/snapback]

And the usual response from those who blindly follow...

Do you realize the implications of this? Obviously not. The best you can do is attack the person who posts the article. IT says so much more about you than your weak attempt to attack Chicot...

And the usual response from those who blindly follow...

Do you realize the implications of this?  Obviously not.  The best you can do is attack the person who posts the article.  IT says so much more about you than your weak attempt to attack Chicot...

803188[/snapback]

Yeah, because historically, Chicot's posts lack a common theme.

Do you know that October is officially Down Syndrome Awareness Month? Yeah, I guess you probably do...

Chief of staff's comments

"Let's face it, the military campaign we fought in 2003, effectively kicked the door in."

"As a foreigner, you can be welcomed by being invited in a country, but we weren't invited certainly by those in Iraq at the time."

"Whatever consent we may have had in the first place, may have turned to tolerance and has largely turned to intolerance."

For the head of the British Army to be speaking like this is a pretty significant development.

803119[/snapback]

Wow... 7,000 Brits - mostly in the Basra area.

I spent an entire month on KAAOT (go look that up posers) living amongst Iraqis predominantly from Basra. They loved us and I have the pics to prove it. Once again Chicot, you are full of sh-- you hypocrite.

Not his doom and gloom. Those are quotes.

(After reading what I wrote below, here comes the doom and gloom.)

I too got a little caught up in the blue-fingered voters, but do you think Iraq is better off now? I know. I know. Saddam the butcher is out of power. And is there a better life on the horizon? Even a distant horizon? Things are bad in Iraq. Once we leave, they will probably get worse, but while we're there, they are not likely to get better.

Bush got us into a Catch-22. I hope there's someone smarter coming to find some way out of this. The current crew sees no solution besides the soundbyte "We'll leave when the job is done." Whatever that means. 500 Billion and counting...current troop levels through 2010 should get us up over a trillion no problem.

And what cost to the dead?

This Iraq thing is really starting to get me down. I had some optimism that the BS takeover of Iraq might actually lead to something good. Now I don't. I'm so perplexed by this mess that I can't answer the question, "Should we pull our troops out?" It's a simple question. I have no idea how to answer it. !@#$.

VABills, Wacka...one of you ninnies post so I can direct this frustration at you.

803181[/snapback]

I thought someone as intelligent as yourself would know better than post such jibberish.

Send me a PM when you're ready to take on Iran.

Just ask an Iraqi who's not named "chicot" what this is all about.

Cut and run!? Cowards! Chickenshits!?

Let's just stay and keep killing people and watching our soldiers die and get maimed.  Shoot, to leave now would be be..UNMANLY.  Boy howdy, no self-respektin cowboy would do it.

On the other hand, who wants to be the last one to die for a mistake...or to ask a man to be the last one to die for a mistake...or ask someone to die for something stupid and meaningless?  Seems I heard something like that somewhere, spoken by someone know knew what he was talking about.  Too bad people don't listen and learn.

803183[/snapback]

Paul always said you were hot. Is that true?

I thought someone as intelligent as yourself would know better than post such jibberish.

803270[/snapback]

Right. Because every one of the polls that have showed a majority of Iraqis want the US to leave is wrong.

Wow...  7,000 Brits - mostly in the Basra area.

I spent an entire month on KAAOT (go look that up posers) living amongst Iraqis predominantly from Basra.  They loved us and I have the pics to prove it.  Once again Chicot, you are full of sh-- you hypocrite.

803269[/snapback]

So is Sir Richard Dannatt also full of sh-- since those are his comments I quoted?

Whoo hooooooooooooooooooooooo!  Polls!  :doh:

803312[/snapback]

Not an entirely unexpected response. Yes, polls can be inaccurate or downright wrong. However, when you have a whole series of polls taken over a long period of time that show large majorities (typically 70-80%) in favour of the withdrawal of foreign forces, it simply is not credible that all of them are out to such a degree that there is not a majority in favour of withdrawal.

803270[/snapback]

I'll ask you: what's it all about?

So you think Iraq is turning out well. Please let us know how you see the handling of Iraq ending with a favorable result, and please also let us know exactly what the mission there is now. Iraq i in a state of civil war. The death tolls are growing--not shrinking. Even our more hawkish leaders are pessimistic about how things are going there. I am worried--as someone with personal connections there, I'm surprised you're not worried too.

As to Iran, they are clearly part of the problem. Their influence is strong in Iraq and they have foreign cash flowing in. Part of the reason the situraion in Iraq is such a cluster is because of Iran. That doesn't in any way make me feel like the situation in Iraq is going well or will turn out well. Will Iran attack Iraq? Who knows. Will Iran use its cash to influence/set-up Sunni puppets in the Iraq government and/or undermine that same government by funding local militias and terror cells? You decide.

Not an entirely unexpected response. Yes, polls can be inaccurate or downright wrong. However, when you have a whole series of polls taken over a long period of time that show large majorities (typically 70-80%) in favour of the withdrawal of foreign forces, it simply is not credible that all of them are out to such a degree that there is not a majority in favour of withdrawal.

803313[/snapback]

Not really the point.