through 5 games, the bills are ...

30th in team offense and 15th in defense.

that's a nice step up for the d, and i'm guessing the talent infusion has something to do with it.

30th in offense, however, is very poor no matter how you slice it, and i refuse to bow to the "lies, damned lies, and statistics" response -- it actually matters.

consequently, my basic question is, what is the fundamentally wrong with their offense? i can't blame it on the coaches, because it's sucked for so long. is it simply the o-line? is it the young and relatively unproductive qb? is it the lack of a home run rusher?

or is it they've played moregood defenses than other teams?

I have a feeling it may have been alot better without last weeks blowout

It just doesn't seem like the offence has caught that spark yet like the defence has.

THey have shown they have the skills on some plays, but its not consistent yet. I think it will take a bit more time until the offence fully clicks and we get out of #30

that's a nice step up for the d, and i'm guessing the talent infusion has something to do with it.

30th in offense, however, is very poor no matter how you slice it, and i refuse to bow to the "lies, damned lies, and statistics" response -- it actually matters.

consequently, my basic question is, what is the fundamentally wrong with their offense? i can't blame it on the coaches, because it's sucked for so long.  is it simply the o-line? is it the young and relatively unproductive qb? is it the lack of a home run rusher?

802999[/snapback]

I wont put it on the coaches. However I will say it's a combination of learning yet another new system, 3 new players on the oline. Counting Peters first full year as a starter. The Lack of wr's. Yeah Evans is good, and who else is a threat here. No one has yet to step up. The Lack of a polished qb. I like Losmans potential as much as the next guy but he's far from a finished proven product. No defenses respect losman yet and rightfully so. The lack of a homerun threat at rb contributes.

However that's not saying. Get rid of WM. I'm simply stating having that backup to come in and give us another option. Every good offense nowadays has 2 good backs. Sd has tomlinson/turner. Ne has Dillon/Maroney. The falcons have dunn/norwood. The Redskins have Portis/Betts. Giants Barber/Jacobs. Having that 2nd back to come in and be effective rushing the ball giving McGahee a breather while also contributing positive yardage, would be a tremendous help to the offense as a whole.

I believe it's a combination of all these things. Mostly though Id say it's consistency. You can't keep changing philosophies year after year and expect results. You need continuation within a system, in order to be effective. Overall I'm not suprised at the rankings. I never expected much out of the offense as a whole. There's talent there, but like I said without consistency within a system you'll never improve I don't care what players you have.

I don't think there is something fundamentally wrong with the offense. Its the offensive line and to a much lesser extent a qb moving up the learning curve. We'll improve in the next few weeks. We have to address the line in the off season but right now the trick is to get everything we can out of them for the rest of this season. I think we'll be okay, not a playoff contender as of yet..but moving in the right direction.

802999[/snapback]

You use the total yards on offense and defense for the team ranking. However, does "total yards" really reflect the real team ability?

We have to take more into consideration, for example, opponent's strength. Gaining 100 yards against Bears' defense shouldn't be viewed the same as 100 yards against Raiders' defense. Besides, the game circumstance is also important, for example, when you're leading by 20 points late in the game, you usually become conservative. Furthermore, touchdowns, turnovers, and drive success rate should all be considered when ranking team offense and defense.

Using a more advanced stas, DVOA, which take all of above into account, Bills' offense is ranked 24th and defense is 18th.

I wont put it on the coaches. However I will say it's a combination of learning yet another new system, 3 new players on the oline. Counting Peters first full year as a starter.  The Lack of wr's. Yeah Evans is good, and who else is a threat here. No one has yet to step up. The Lack of a polished qb.  I like Losmans potential as much as the next guy but he's far from a finished proven product.  No defenses respect losman yet and rightfully so.  The lack of a homerun threat at rb contributes.

However that's not saying.  Get rid of WM. I'm simply stating having that backup to come in and give us another option. Every good offense nowadays has 2 good backs. Sd has tomlinson/turner.  Ne has Dillon/Maroney.  The falcons have dunn/norwood.  The Redskins have Portis/Betts.  Giants  Barber/Jacobs.  Having that 2nd back to come in and be effective rushing the ball giving McGahee a breather while also contributing positive yardage, would be a tremendous help to the offense as a whole.

I believe it's a combination of all these things.  Mostly though Id say it's consistency.  You can't keep changing philosophies year after year and expect results.  You need continuation within a system, in order to be effective.  Overall I'm not suprised at the rankings.  I never expected much out of the offense as a whole. There's talent there, but like I said without consistency within a system  you'll never improve I don't care what players you have.

803010[/snapback]

Eagles have Westbrook

Seahawks have Alexander

Chiefs have Johnson

A capable back up or even a second good running back is good, but I don't think it's essentail for having a good offense. I guess I'm more of a good o-line type of guy.

Eagles have Westbrook

Seahawks have Alexander

Chiefs have Johnson

A capable back up or even a second good running back is good, but I don't think it's essentail for having a good offense.  I guess I'm more of a good o-line type of guy.

803039[/snapback]

Eagles- true but they also have a fairly good qb who can do damage running the ball himself, and correll buckhalter is contributing as well.

sehawks- alexander has been awful this year averaging 2.9ypc. Their fb mack strong and maurice morris have been doing most of their rushing work. Non effective rushing attack.

chiefs- Johnson isn't having a great year now as the full time guy. True his ot's being gone probably plays a big deal into that, still hasn't been effective though. They do have michael bennett though who is a home run hitter.

I agree the oline plays a huge deal into it. I just believe it's always better to have that additional back. Change up the pace, so defenses have to stay on their toes and can't just gameplan for one style of running. I think this is a more sound strategy especially for a team with a qb defenses don't respect.

Eagles- true but they also have a fairly good qb who can do damage running the ball himself, and correll buckhalter is contributing as well.

sehawks- alexander has been awful this year averaging 2.9ypc. Their fb mack strong and maurice morris have been doing most of their rushing work. Non effective rushing attack.

chiefs- Johnson isn't having a great year now as the full time guy. True his ot's being gone probably plays a big deal into that, still hasn't been effective though. They do have michael bennett though who is a home run hitter.

I agree the oline plays a huge deal into it.  I just believe it's always better to have that additional back. Change up the pace, so defenses have to stay on their toes and can't just gameplan for one style of running.

803047[/snapback]

Aye <_< I definitely agree with you, the more the merrier. However that could apply to WR and TE as well. I think it really depends on the back or backs. I made my point more so to make a point than that I disagree, however I think the biggest difference is insurance. New Orleans and San Diego can afford a RB injury better than Seattle and Us.

I don't think there is something fundamentally wrong with the offense.  Its the offensive line and to a much lesser extent a qb moving up the learning curve.  We'll improve in the next few weeks.  We have to address the line in the off season but right now the trick is to get everything we can out of them for the rest of this season.  I think we'll be okay, not a playoff contender as of yet..but moving in the right direction.

803031[/snapback]

I agree, Tenny. The CHI blowout aside, 8 points was the largest margin of loss. They are 2 and 3 after 5 games...not a disaster. Spike's early exit hurt, and CV's and Vincent's less so but still a loss of vet experience.

Save the CHI game, they've been competitive in games to the end. That's good stuff.