Good article on Miami's o-line

I think the contrast between Culpepper and Harrington and how quickly they get rid of the ball is the same factor which made for improved performance by an OT such as McKinnie going from blocking for Culpepper vs, blocking for Johnson.

Its not that Harrington is so quick in the release, it simply is the case that Culpepper is not and he is used to being nimble enough that even if he held the ball a long time he could still get off the pass as he evaded the sack and even when wrapped up was strong enough to get off the pass.

This is a site that likes to put together "complicate stats" just to be different.

If you follow up on that article and look at the "stats" they provide on their site it shows that the left tackle (Shelton) is way above average. So they can't have it both ways.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

Look halfway down, where they show the left tackle "stats" and then the average. They have Shelton with a 4.80 and ranked 9th in the league. the average LT is 4.28, what ever that means.

Again, stats, and BS. I am one who supported getting Shelton in the past but I have seen Miami a few times already this year and he's pretty much been pretty bad. Lot's of talent, no drive or desire. Too bad, with the right motivation, and no I don't know what it is, he had all the ability.

That was certainly the wrap on him before as he apparently showed enough talent and desire to command a big contract from AZ, but then went south so thoroughly and quickly the made a huge investment in Davis to supplant him and he lost his job.

He did seem have somewhat of a rep as a tough guy as he earned a nickname like "The Last Man Standing" on this team as the entire rest of the OL went out of games due to injury but he stayed in the line-up. Nevertheless he seemed to generate far less interest in the free market when he was an FA than his stats broguht to similar players so it is not illogical that the word was out around the NFL that you invested in him at your own risk.

I think many fans are fairly superficial in which players they choose to like or dislike and actually a lot of the analysis put forward to judtify these bleatings comes off as mere self-important whing.

My own posts are certainly so overly long that one can easily judge me to give them greater import than they deserve, but at least I do not feel I am whining because I at least know what I do not know and never offer my salvos to intend that they are dead lock certainty at all. In fact, the NFL is interesting because no one (no matter how much they think they know) really can be certain what will happen next or whether a player will excel or fall apart.

If you follow up on that article and look at the "stats" they provide on their site it shows that the left tackle (Shelton) is way above average.  So they can't have it both ways. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol.php

Look halfway down, where they show the left tackle "stats" and then the average.  They have Shelton with a 4.80 and ranked 9th in the league.  the average LT is 4.28, what ever that means. 

802561[/snapback]

You're so funny, you need to understand what the number means before BS it.

The stat you refer to is not comparing players, it's comparing how the offensive line performs on each direction the running back rushes, the direction includes "Left End", "Left Tackle", "MID/Guard", "Right Tackle", "Right End".

Again, the "Left Tackle" listed in the table is not a player (Sheltion), it's a direction. For example, in the following play-by-play: "R.Brown left tackle to MIA 20 for 4 yards (L.Fletcher-Baker; A.Crowell).", the left tackle means a direction, not a player. <_<

You're so funny, you need to understand what the number means before BS it.

The stat you refer to is not comparing players, it's comparing how the offensive line performs on each direction the running back rushes, the direction includes "Left End", "Left Tackle", "MID/Guard", "Right Tackle", "Right End".

Again, the "Left Tackle" listed in the table is not a player (Sheltion), it's a direction. For example, in the following play-by-play: "R.Brown left tackle to MIA 20 for 4 yards (L.Fletcher-Baker; A.Crowell).", the left tackle means a direction, not a player.  <_<

803081[/snapback]

And who is the Left tackle to be running over? 0:)

And where is the left tackle.  Oh I know it's the right side? 

Are you really that stupid?

803087[/snapback]

How can you be this stupid? Miami has some success on rushing left tackle direction, does this mean their left tackle (Shelton) is a good lineman overall in pass protection and run block? <_<

How can you be this stupid? Miami has some success on rushing left tackle direction, does this mean their left tackle (Shelton) is a good lineman overall in pass protection and run block?  <_<

803089[/snapback]

I don't know. But the article slams him, and then back it up with stats saying he is a top10 LT, at least in rush situations. So their info is screwed at best.

I don't know.  But the article slams him, and then back it up with stats saying he is a top10 LT, at least in rush situations.  So their info is screwed at best.

803091[/snapback]

Again, you misunderstand the number and can't admit your mistake. The stat you refer to is not comparing individual lineman, it's comparing the whole O-line.

Do you think only Shelton is blocking opposite players when Brown rushes 'left tackle' direction and other linemans just sit and watch? <_< Shelton may be more important when Brown rushes 'left tackle' direction, but it's NOT an evluation on his overall rush block ability, let's alone the overall left tackle position ability.

And you must realize there're other directions the RB rushes!? The stats show Miami offensive line does well on one of the directions their RB rushes, not even the overall run block. Where does your top10LT come from? :lol:

Admit your mistake first, in your original post you said "Look halfway down, where they show the left tackle "stats" and then the average. They have Shelton with a 4.80 and ranked 9th in the league. the average LT is 4.28, what ever that means", you clearly mistake "left tackle" as a player instead of a direction. But you are just too pride to face your own mistake. 0:)

I don't know.  But the article slams him, and then back it up with stats saying he is a top10 LT, at least in rush situations.  So their info is screwed at best.

803091[/snapback]

I distrust any site that claims that Tutan Reyes is the best Left Gaurd in terms of having yards gained in his direction....that might be true, but I hardly consider him the best as the same with Jason Peters being 31st

I distrust any site that claims that Tutan Reyes is the best Left Gaurd in terms of having yards gained in his direction....that might be true, but I hardly consider him the best as the same with Jason Peters being 31st

803107[/snapback]

Shouldn't it be Mike Gandy instead of Tutan Reyes who ranks number 1 overall in left tackle by VABills interpretation? <_<

In fact, the NFL is interesting because no one (no matter how much they think they know) really can be certain what will happen next or whether a player will excel or fall apart.

803074[/snapback]

:doh: