What a Dem takeover of Congress would mean...

jimshiz

Do you realize that a Dem controlled Congress means impeachment hearings for George W. Bush and Nancy Pelosi will be 3rd in line for the Presidency?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you realize that a Dem controlled Congress means impeachment hearings for George W. Bush and Nancy Pelosi will be 3rd in line for the Presidency?

• Yes - that would be horrible
    • Yes - that would be great
    • No - but that would be horrible
    • No - but that would be great

sound-bites?

802358[/snapback]

Investigations! If a bi-partisan House report turned up links between Abromof and the White House just think what John Conyers will uncover. And that is only on corruption scandle. Where did all that money sent to Iraq go? Billions and billions missing! Halliburton contraracts, lies that got us into war etc, etc! Should be awesome!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a nice WaPo article (c/o MSNBC) describing what a Dem takeover might mean for Dubya.

"It obviously affects things a lot," said Charles Black, a Republican lobbyist with ties to the White House. "History tells you that administrations have a hard time achieving things in their last two years. I think the president wants to be as aggressive as he can with a good menu of ideas.

"If he had to deal with a Democratic majority in one House or both," Black added, it makes it that much harder.

Steve Elmendorf, a former House Democratic leadership aide, said of Bush, "He would lose control of his agenda. He would have to make a decision: Does he want to compromise and work cooperatively with the Democrats, or does he want to keep pushing what he's been pushing and lose all the time?"

Skipping past the possibilities of Dem-led investigations into multiple issues that probably need a bit of scruitiny over the last six years, I think the most interesting outcome from a Dem takeover would be how Bush the man will react. We've witnessed six years of his "my way or the highway" aprroach. Remember, his schtick coming in was that he was a "uniter not a divider" and that his management style would foster bipartisanship to get things done without petty squabbling.

I, of course, haven't seen even a twinkling of this side of him, and wonder if after six years of getting everything he wants from congress (and issuing signing statements when he doesn't) will he be able to work with the Dems?

I will believe the Dem majority when I actually see it come about (election day is still a long way off, despite the bleak outlook for the GOP in the polls), but if it happens, what will be the demeaner of Dubya? How will his last two years of presidency be defined? Will it be one of cooperation? I'll believe that when I see it, too.

There's a nice WaPo article (c/o MSNBC) describing what a Dem takeover might mean for Dubya.

808698[/snapback]

Also mentioned in the article...

Bush has been meeting privately with Cabinet secretaries in recent weeks to map out an agenda for his final two years in office. The White House says it is not making contingency plans for a Democratic win...

Second page goes on to explain a little further about the second sentence, that any talk about how said agenda might be affected by things not going their way has been quashed. Sounds about right for this admin.

Interesting question about how Bush the man would react. I'll just say, invest in Just For Men.