We MUST have Speed at DT

Mikie2times

*sigh*

It takes time for players to become dominating.

TKO/Fletcher/Crowell is a 1st class(dominating) LB corp.

McCargo may well become a dominating player.

Williams may well become a dominating player.

We are good at DE(I'd like to see Schobel play with top talent around him).....& maybe add another(better) DL next year.

You do realize don't you that you cannot just Magic up a great DL? It takes time.

803230[/snapback]

Hi playoffs, see ya in 2020

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are going to be committed to this style of defense, if they can find a guy that is as big as you want and can motor, we'll pick him up if at all possible. Look at the Falcons, they run a tampa 2-like defense and picked up Grady Jackson, who is imploding any part of the line he touches. The question becomes, how long can he do it?

Sam Adams has been discussed ad-nauseum with respect to this defense and Pat is doing quite fine in the Vikings version. Our problem right now is, TD kept the wrong DT. Til we can find another planet that moves like a lineman within the first 5-6 steps we'll have to deal.

Fix the offense next, and we can put some points on the board, and...in theory...teams will stop running because suddenly they have to throw to catch up to us...and by next year, you're NOT going to want to throw against this defense for the sake of catching up to the points the offense has put on the board.

Wishful thinking, maybe. But that's the way I see the blueprint.

I think thats exactly the plan. I just hope it works.

We need some BEEF on both sides of our Lines, Our players have improved with the new coaching but just seem to get muscled down by the goal line and against tougher competition

803407[/snapback]

We need the ability to stuff the run, whether that comes from 295lb high motor guys or 340lb immovable cloggers.

Simply put, we need good players. There's plenty of 340lb busts out there.

Corey Simon is twice the run stopper Triplett was in Indianapolis, and as people have mentioned he’s probably more of a pass rusher. What's that say? It’s convenient that you completely left out his absence from your findings. If we sign Darnell Dockett we can end this debate all together. I just don't want to get complacent and limited. We can't afford to wait on Run Stoppers to develop. The Cover 2 is a notoriously soft run defense, and it will put a ceiling on this team unless it gets much better.

803151[/snapback]

darnell dockett is extending with the cardinals.

WE are ok here. I bet we will add 2 guys through FA or first 2 rounds in the front 7of the D. Our run and pass rush needs more players if we want to be a top team rather than ok/middle of the pack. We need to build on this years improvements not argue about were we are now.

Cover two is always beaten by a run game at the middle of the defensive line. That's always been the case. Jauron has to stop the run or go to some other defensive scheme. He'll just have to find tackles who are up to the job. Rome wasn't built in a day. He could have passed on Whitner and taken Ngata...but Whitner is proving to be the find of the draft so I'm not going to criticize him for that...We may have to wait until next year for our major defensive (and OFFENSIVE!) line upgrades.

We heard Jauron say all off-season how we will stop the run with speed and penetration. Obviously we need some speed at DT for this system, but what’s more important, speed or stopping the run? By excluding DT's that aren't quick were really limiting ourselves to who we can go after. This is already a system known for being soft in the interior. We need to at least be open to signing a wide body that can sure up the middle. I'm not talking about Ryan Pickett, who we did target last season. I'm talking about a true run stopping DT. The Colts were willing to go after Simon despite being in the same system. It hasn't worked out great for them, but that could be just as much on Simon then Simon not fitting the system. DT's are hard enough to come buy and if we only target smaller penetrating DT's it will be a long time before we sure up the run defense.

802215[/snapback]

But larger DTs "don't fit the system." LOL

A show of hands; how many people really needed to see five games before coming to this conclusion?

Whatever happened to the "in Jauron/Levy we trust" mentality? Shouldn't he be given several seasons to see if he can make this work?

Or won't more time really change things in that way?

Most fans deserve what we have.