trick plays and game planning

1billsfan

I was glad that Jaroun pulled out the fake punt trick play. The Bills will need to pull off trickery like this to beat teams that are better than them. Which there are about six of those left on the schedule. Maybe they just need to spend more practice time on them.

As for game planning, I was disappointed about Jaroun's vs his old team. I was expecting the Bills to try spreading the field with JP throwing quick passes to McGahee, Evans, Price, Reed and Parrish. Also letting JP use his legs with QB rollouts and bootlegs. The Bills deciding to go with the predictable bread and butter offense vs these Bears was not a good idea since the Bills had no shot at having a running game. Carolina showed everyone how you beat this Bear defense. The Bills would have lost anyways but at least they would have gone down with their best shot of beating them.

The reality of the Bills situation is that there is still a lot of work left to be done on getting better players for the offensive and defensive lines before we are a contending football team. Until then, the Bills would serve themselves well by continuing to work out the kinks with the trick plays and to be more creative on game planning the teams we are physically mismatched against.

Also letting JP use his legs with QB rollouts and bootlegs.

799666[/snapback]

Don't know if you watched the Seattle v Bears game, but that's what Seattly tried to do. The Bears D is so fast that they trap you in the corner on roll outs. It's has to be a quick hit or your toast against the speed of the Bears D.

I was glad that Jaroun pulled out the fake punt trick play. The Bills will need to pull off trickery like this to beat teams that are better than them. Which there are about six of those left on the schedule. Maybe they just need to spend more practice time on them.

799666[/snapback]

Well, trying a fake punt at 11:25 in the 1st quarter, in a scoreless game, on the road, doesn't strike me as a particularly bright move... <_<

Well, trying a fake punt at 11:25 in the 1st quarter, in a scoreless game, on the road, doesn't strike me as a particularly bright move... <_<

799924[/snapback]

Given how well the Bills were moving the ball and the Bills' drive starts the remainder of the game it strikes me as an excellent move. The Bills didn't get back into the Bears side of the field until the end of the 4th quarter.

A good snap and catch was all that was needed since the Bears were walled off. Jaroun knew that the Bills had only a few attempts at scoring and he gave it a shot. It was a good call that wasn't executed correctly.

We now know that the fake punt play had little to do with such a colassal loss such as this. But at least he had the forethought of knowing how few chances this team would have to actually be in a position to score.

Now if he did this against a much lesser team then I'd be throwing a fit.

Given how well the Bills were moving the ball and the Bills' drive starts the remainder of the game it strikes me as an excellent move. The Bills didn't get back into the Bears side of the field until the end of the 4th quarter.

A good snap and catch was all that was needed since the Bears were walled off. Jaroun knew that the Bills had only a few attempts at scoring and he gave it a shot. It was a good call that wasn't executed correctly.

We now know that the fake punt play had little to do with such a colassal loss such as this. But at least he had the forethought of knowing how few chances this team would have to actually be in a position to score.

Now if he did this against a much lesser team then I'd be throwing a fit.

800000[/snapback]

That drive only had one first down. Usually a drive going well has more than one first down in it. <_<

That drive only had one first down.  Usually a drive going well has more than one first down in it.  <_<

800004[/snapback]

That drive had a key 19 yard pass to Lee Evans. The Bills went from the Buffalo 28 to the Bears 42.

How many first downs are meaningless when there's a long pass completion. What part of this don't you get?

That drive had a key 19 yard pass to Lee Evans. The Bills went from the Buffalo 28 to the Bears 42.

How many first downs are meaningless when there's a long pass completion. What part of this don't you get?

800025[/snapback]

Well in my playbook, a drive with one 19 yard pass, which is the only first down, is not considered a good drive. I'd like to see 3 or 4 first downs before I consider it a good sustained drive. I'm not into this over joyfull exuberance at the ability to actually get one first down and call that a successful drive.

I was glad that Jaroun pulled out the fake punt trick play. The Bills will need to pull off trickery like this to beat teams that are better than them.

I could support this if any of these trick fake plays actually worked or even looked like they had a chance to work.

Well in my playbook, a drive with one 19 yard pass, which is the only first down, is not considered a good drive.  I'd like to see 3 or 4 first downs before I consider it a good sustained drive.  I'm not into this over joyfull exuberance at the ability to actually get one first down and call that a successful drive.

800040[/snapback]

Joyfull exuberence?! Exagerate much? We were playing the Bears, so the Bills getting to the Bear 42 yard line from their own 28 does constitute as "moving the ball well". Unless you had unrealistic expectations of the Bills running up and down the field on the Bears. If you did then we might as well end the discussion here.

Joyfull exuberence?! Exagerate much? We were playing the Bears, so the Bills getting to the Bear 42 yard line from their own 28 does constitute as "moving the ball well". Unless you had unrealistic expectations of the Bills running up and down the field on the Bears. If you did then we might as well end the discussion here.

800057[/snapback]

Does it matter the team? To call it a good drive with one 19 yard pass completion which was the only first down is not successful. That's like having a girl smile at you in the hallway at school and saying you almost lost your viginity.

Not even close my friend.

Does it matter the team?  To call it a good drive with one 19 yard pass completion which was the only first down is not successful.  That's like having a girl smile at you in the hallway at school and saying you almost lost your viginity. 

Not even close my friend.

800063[/snapback]

Can you read? I didn't call it successfull. That's twice you misrepresented what I said. It's getting obnoxious my friend.

Can you read? I didn't call it successfull. That's twice you misrepresented what I said. It's getting obnoxious my friend.

800084[/snapback]

How is "how well the Bills were moving the ball" and successful different? Can you move the ball well and not have a successful drive? Can you have no or one first down and call it moving the ball well or successful? <_<

How is "how well the Bills were moving the ball" and successful different?

800086[/snapback]

Success is getting points. "How well" is in reference to the team we were facing and the vicinity the Bills offense found themselves in after some positive plays, a 19 yard catch and JP making them jump offsides. But please feel free to twist that any which way you want. Sorry if the nuances of those phrases are lost on you but they're completely different in my book.

Success is getting points. "How well" is in reference to the team we were facing and the vicinity the Bills offense found themselves in after some positive plays, a 19 yard catch and JP making them jump offsides. But please feel free to twist that any which way you want. Sorry if the nuances of those phrases are lost on you but they're completely different in my book.

800107[/snapback]

SO you can only have a successful drive if you get points? How's about if you get the ball of the opponents 10 yard line after an INT. Then lose 15 yards in sacks, penalties, etc... but still get a field goal? Is that successful? Or how about you're up with 5 minutes to go, and you proceed to drive the ball, 4-5 yards at a time, getting first downs and then the clock runs out , and you win by running out the clock, but you don't score. Is that a successful drive?

I say yes to the second but not the first. I also don't consider a drive that has one first down as a result of one pass a good nor a successful drive.