Not Surprised

After spending the day in the Caesar's sports book enjoying comprehensive NFL coverage, a couple of things jumped out to me, the Bears are very good and the Bills aren’t that bad they just share the label of mediocre with about 75% of the league. The Bears and Bills basically play the same schemes; it is just a plain fact the Bear’s have way superior talent executing the plan. Levy has a tremendous amount of work left to get this team back to the playoffs, but like I said, about 75% of the GM’s have the same task. Indy has absolutely no defense, Miami is a joke, NE is nothing special, Dallas would kill to have JP, by the way, McNabb is without question the best QB in this league bar none, and Pittsburgh has come back to earth etc. The formula for winning and building dynasties still hasn’t changed and that is 1.) Have a great defense and 2.) Have a strong physical offensive line (a great QB helps a lot, but that position is currently dominated by very average talent throughout the league; supposedly good ones like Hasselback, Grossman, Peyton, Big Ben, etc couldn’t collectively clean the jocks of guys like Marino, Elway and Kelly). What Levy needs to do:

Like he rebuilt the secondary, he is going to have to overhaul the defensive tackle positions. Tripplet is noting more than a cheap band-aid fix, and the other “platoon,” if one wants to call it that, would make Hogan’s Heros proud, there is not one quality football player amongst the names of Anderson, McCargo, and Williams (this isn’t preseason). Yeah, Yeah, speed this and that, speed and size is what really kills and these guy’s are completely missing the size requirement.

As I have prophesized before on this site, forget about TKO, he will never return to pre-injury form. Here again size is killing us. Levy needs to find a player similar to TKO that can hit and bring some heat off the edge on blitzes.

The offensive of line is still a complete joke and the Bills Twin Fair approach to this crucial area needs to be scraped. Take Clemen’s salary and go buy an All-Pro that can protect Losmen’s back side and be dependable enough to achieve a 50% success rate on 3rd and short yardage. Think of how many 3rd and shorts the Bill’s haven’t converted this year; I bet we would easily be 3-2 or even 4-1 with a higher success ratio in this area.

Find a freakin tight-end; I heard the UB Bulls have a better one than the Bills? We have gotten nothing out of this position since what’s his named bolted to Pittsburgh 20 years ago or so it seems.

Find a wide receiver that is above 6 feet and over 200 lbs. Don’t blame JP with guys like Price, Reed, and Parrish a horrendous assortment of talent at the crucial 2-spot.

On a positive note, I would like to thank SoCal Bill, Red Dragon, and Henry Fumbles for an excellent state of the Bill’s Summit held at Treasures, a place truly deserving of the name. The sweat smell of strippers perfume easied the mental punishment of that game, and also the fact that I betted with my brains and not my heart, which really helped me recover all the money I left in that legendary establishment!

Well, I think we are bit more advanced than you pose...but your points are all well taken. I think the defensive line is a better than last year's. The biggest problem continues to be the offensive line. JP is fine, McGahee is fine but we need better protection and better blocking up front. I think that ML and DJ did a marvelous job with this year's draft filling a bunch of holes (maybe even in the DT with Williams and maybe McCargo...we'll just have to see). However there can never be enough big ol' fat defensive and offensive linemen with extremely bad attitudes.

That being said the Bears I guess are REALLY that good. The consensus seemed to be that if we got to the bye week 3-4 we'd be on track and if it were 4-3 we'd be dancing in the streets. Let's put this baby behind us and move on.