Online DVD rental

HtownBillsFan

I was wondering which one is better NetFlix or Blockbuster.com. My wife is on bed rest for the next 5-7 weeks and I dont want to keep running back and forth to Wegmans. Anyone that has experience either, both, or another service please give me some feedback. Thanks in advance.

I've been a Netflix subscriber for four years and love it. I would be lost without it.

Blockbuster's service is nothing more than a copycat ripoff that they're operating at a loss in order to prevent Netflix from taking any more of their business.

I think netflix is slow and they have a center next to me.......when u start you get one fast, then it takes days to get another one after they receive it back

you guys know they dont want you to rent more than you can at a store.......

its fixed that way.....

I think netflix is slow and they have a center next to me.......when u start you get one fast, then it takes days to get another one after they receive it back

its fixed that way.....

795374[/snapback]

No way man....through trial and error I've found that you can rent up to a cycle per week w/out any throttling whatsoever. For example, if you are on the 3-at-a-time plan, you can watch and return three movies every week. I don't recall what they charge for that, something like $18/month.....if you assume $4 per rental from your movie store, it would cost you $40-50/month to rent the same number of movies you can thorugh Netflix for $18.

The people who get throttled are the ones who are typically burning the movies and sending them back in bunches. You cannot expect Netflix to just take a loss on people like this and not care. If they can't make money off their business, then there's not much point to staying IN business.

I've always been able to rent more than I've been able to watch....anyone who says otherwise is abusing the service.

its fixed that way.....

795374[/snapback]

NetFlix DOES use "throttling" (slowing down deliveries to those who rent too much). But that is ONLY used for those who are truly abusing the system. When I lived in FL, I could put the movies i watched into the mail on monday and have three new ones on wednesday. Now, I could also put those back in the mail Thursday, and then get three more on Saturday. That is excessive movie "watching" and throttling is for people who are obviously using the service to rent, burn, and return. If you (not you in partcular crackur) REALLY need more movies that netflix allows, you are either breaking the law, or need to get a girlfriend.

No way man....through trial and error I've found that you can rent up to a cycle per week w/out any throttling whatsoever. For example, if you are on the 3-at-a-time plan, you can watch and return three movies every week. I don't recall what they charge for that, something like $18/month.....if you assume $4 per rental from your movie store, it would cost you $40-50/month to rent the same number of movies  you can thorugh Netflix for $18.

The people who get throttled are the ones who are typically burning the movies and sending them back in bunches. You cannot expect Netflix to just take a loss on people like this and not care. If they can't make money off their business, then there's not much point to staying IN business.

I've always been able to rent more than I've been able to watch....anyone who says otherwise is abusing the service.

795381[/snapback]

Wrong, thats not true.

My friend was on the 3 a week plan, and everytime he got a DVD, he sent them back the next day for another. When he got one on Monday, he could have had another by Friday. They throttled him though.

Blockbuster online doesn't throttle users at all. They send em as quickly as you can watch em. Tis why I'd go with them.

Wrong, thats not true.

My friend was on the 3 a week plan, and everytime he got a DVD, he sent them back the next day for another.  When he got one on Monday, he could have had another by Friday.  They throttled him though.

Blockbuster online doesn't throttle users at all.  They send em as quickly as you can watch em.  Tis why I'd go with them.

795391[/snapback]

I don't have any explanation for that...all I can tell you is that I've introduced a lot of people to the service, and nobody who uses it properly has any issues like that whatsoever. In four years, I have been able to get any movie I've wanted....I get new releases in my mailbox every tuesday before blockbuster even opens their doors.

Blockbuster doesn't throttle users YET. Like I said, they are operating at a loss, which is partly why their being sued. They have billions in the coffers and can afford to just let you go ape schitt with the rentals. If that's still the case a year from now I'll be surprised. I'm glad you're happy with the service, though (honestly, lol).

I don't have any explanation for that...all I can tell you is that I've introduced a lot of people to the service, and nobody who uses it properly has any issues like that whatsoever. In four years, I have been able to get any movie I've wanted....I get new releases in my mailbox every tuesday before blockbuster even opens their doors.

Blockbuster doesn't throttle users YET. Like I said, they are operating at a loss, which is partly why their being sued. They have billions in the coffers and can afford to just let you go ape schitt with the rentals. If that's still the case a year from now I'll be surprised. I'm glad you're happy with the service, though (honestly, lol).

795399[/snapback]

I actually am not with the service anymore, cause I watched everything I wanted too. I know a couple friends of mine as well that have switched to Blockbuster from Netflix for the throttling stuff.

I actually am not with the service anymore, cause I watched everything I wanted too.  I know a couple friends of mine as well that have switched to Blockbuster from Netflix for the throttling stuff.

795405[/snapback]

That's too bad that they had that issue....makes me wonder if it was the postal service in their area, cause I know there were a few problem spots a while back.