The Bills O-line vs Bears D-line

LevysEraII

The running game

I think the Bills can run on the Bears. The Bears are a lot smaller on the D-line compared to Minnesota. Buffalo matches up better against Chicago. Look for Buffalo to run early and often on Willis' favorite side. The left side. That's where smallish DE Alex Brown resides. I expect #21 to break a couple of twenty yarders on Sunday.

The passing game

This is the match-up that scares me. Ogunleye always has big games against Buffalo dating back to his days with the Fish. He will be going against our best, Jason Peters. If Peters can shut down Ogunleye than he deserves Pro Bowl recognition. Tommie Harris is a beast. Alex Brown is a speed rusher. Gandy moves well so he might be able to limit Brown's pass rush pressure. Buffalo must avoid the temptation of using trick plays on that speedy Bears D. They will make us pay for it.

The Bills will have to pound the Bears with the ground game and mix in a little bit of play action as well as some bombs to have a chance for a win. The Panthers used this very same strategy in the playoffs last year when they beat Chicago at Soldier Field. If the Bills get down by 10 early, this game can get ugly.

The problem is that the Bills don't really match up that well against the Bears. If the Bills had a pure power running game I'd like our chances more, but we have quick, mobile OLmen, not maulers. It's a matchup of speed vs. speed and I like the Bears DL a hell of a lot more than the Bills OL in this matchup. The best way to beat a fast D is to wear them down and start picking up big chunks of yardage with the running game in the second half once the smallish DL tires out. I just don't think the Bills have an OL capable of doing that.

That's not to say the Bills shouldn't continue to run the ball over and over again, they should. I'd like to see them take the same approach they did with the Vikes cover 2. Stay with the run, even if it's not working and hit the short passes underneath the zone and let the WRs get some yards after the catch. They need to play it conservatively and not turn the ball over. If that means throwing to a check down WR on 3rd and long then so be it. Win a battle of field position with our ST and hope to win a low scoring game.

The problem is that the Bills don't really match up that well against the Bears.  If the Bills had a pure power running game I'd like our chances more, but we have quick, mobile OLmen, not maulers.  It's a matchup of speed vs. speed and I like the Bears DL a hell of a lot more than the Bills OL in this matchup.  The best way to beat a fast D is to wear them down and start picking up big chunks of yardage with the running game in the second half once the smallish DL tires out.  I just don't think the Bills have an OL capable of doing that.

That's not to say the Bills shouldn't continue to run the ball over and over again, they should.  I'd like to see them take the same approach they did with the Vikes cover 2.  Stay with the run, even if it's not working and hit the short passes underneath the zone and let the WRs get some yards after the catch.  They need to play it conservatively and not turn the ball over.  If that means throwing to a check down WR on 3rd and long then so be it.  Win a battle of field position with our ST and hope to win a low scoring game.

794751[/snapback]

You're right. It is speed vs speed. That's exactly why I like our chances in the run game. If the defense over-persues, and they will, the Bills can take one to the house. It's a lot easier to push a guy down the field that doesn't out weigh you by 50 pounds.