Fin Fans Wising Up to the Mularkey

ajzepp

You know what that site does that is kind of cool? If someone makes an inappropriate comment, the moderators leave the post, but change the text to say: Inappropriate comment .Take some time off to reflect on your posts.

That could be some people's sig.

You know what that site does that is kind of cool? If someone makes an inappropriate comment, the moderators leave the post, but change the text to say: Inappropriate comment .Take some time off to reflect on your posts.

That could be some people's sig.

794882[/snapback]

What kind of fun is that ...........inappropriate comment's are all the rage around here!!!!

Of course not, but no stat can be separated from any other stat.  Case in point: you can't separate McGahee's league-leading yardage total from his league-leading carries total. 

So could you use the yards number to say McGahee is clearly doing better than Maroney?

794838[/snapback]

Allright, let's look at who they've run AGAINST... :rolleyes:..using your non-separation of stats logic. (Both played the Jets so I call that a wash.)

So far, we played:

Pats D ranked 13th in total rushing yards per game allowed(yes I accounted for the bye week), and allowed 3.7 yds a carry

Miami D 14th, 3.0

Vikes D 11th, 3.4

Pats played:

Bills D 17th, 4.1

Denver D 18th, 3.9

Cincy D 26th, 4.6

So, while LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING, Willis has gone against better run stopping teams both in terms of yards allowed and yards per carry than Maroney - ALL 4 GAMES(so don't say that the bad d numbers are BECAUSE of Maroney since they are due to others as well - and I would simply make the same argument for Willis).

By your own logic - you are clearly wrong. Willis is doing better against tougher teams. QED he is better than Maroney - it's not even close.

Go here if you still want to try to massage the numbers :P

Here's my own logic (which seems to be superior to yours):

Every time Maroney touches the ball, he goes a full yard further than McGahee. Refute that.

You want to chalk that up to the defenses they played? Fine. Do what you like. But if you want to extend it to the numbers of the defenses that they played, you also have to extend that to the offenses that those defenses have faced. According to your post, at best, you could argue Willis is doing worse against better teams. I'm still not sure where you get the idea he is doing better.

If you had to guess who was leading the league in rushing, starting with the league leader in carries would be wise. Jumping from there to the best runnning back in the league - that's just not logical.

Here's my own logic (which seems to be superior to yours):

Every time Maroney touches the ball, he goes a full yard further than McGahee.  Refute that.

795099[/snapback]

Um, I already have. Reading comprehension is important. Willis is playing against better run defenses, and still getting more yards. Your logic is not superior, it's silly. The last time I checked you win based on how far you get the ball down the field not yds/per carry. :P Wills is leading the league in that category.

You want to chalk that up to the defenses they played?  Fine.  Do what you like. 

795099[/snapback]

I'm glad I have your permission to do what I like. Once again I am awestruck by your "superior" logic. Rather than speaking directly to my point you say...what exactly?

But if you want to extend it to the numbers of the defenses that they played, you also have to extend that to the offenses that those defenses have faced.  According to your post, at best, you could argue Willis is doing worse against better teams.  I'm still not sure where you get the idea he is doing better.

795099[/snapback]

Oh so now, (again with your superior logic) the Bengals, Broncos, and Bills offenses are worse than the Pats, Dolphins, and Vikes? Hint: thinking before posting is helpful. ;) At best they are even. How about this: let's break down the teams we've played and the other offenses they have faced? Minus the Jets(and again same for Willis), the Pats have faced good/great running teams. Miami faced us and Pittsburgh, so half and half, and, the Vikes have faced flat out great running teams. Our opponents high rush defense rankings are based on their excellent play, not on a stats fluke. Sorry, your point is refuted - not that you had one - but what the hell? :D As for how Willis is doing better - let's try this again - HE LEADS THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING. How did I get that idea? I read the stats at NFL.com - try it sometime.

If you had to guess who was leading the league in rushing, starting with the league leader in carries would be wise.  Jumping from there to the best runnning back in the league -  that's just not logical.

795099[/snapback]

Well, since the best running back in the league is primarily determined by rushing yards gained(receiving to a lesser extent) and has been since forever, I don't know where you are going with that. Your "superior" logic = flawed, again, what a surprise.

In fact, it's clear to me now that you really have not thought out much of anything you have said so far. And, when challenged, rather than producing useful information, you will personally attack me in 5...4...3...2... nothing you have said so far is correct other than the yards/per stat. This reminds me of the 'tards who attached themselves to the Kelly Holcomb completion percentage stat - keep clinging for dear life to that one little strand - it's all you have. And, of course, completely ignore anything reasonable that contradicts you. :P:lol::lol: This is boring and I'm moving on unless you can say anything at all that backs you up - wait - I know - yards/per carry. Try that one again. :rolleyes:

The last time I checked you win based on how far you get the ball down the field not yds/per carry.  :rolleyes: Wills is leading the league in that category.

795180[/snapback]

The object of the game of football is to score points. If the object was to advance the ball down the field, we would've won the Jets game, wouldn't we?

Touchdowns:

Maroney: 3

McGahee: 1, in 39 more carries

Minnesota has faced the 6th, 13th, and 21st-best rushing teams - hardly "flat out great"

Miami has faced the 11th, 27th, and 30th-best runnning teams, or did you neglect Houston and Tennessee?

New Engand has faced the 4th and 14th-best. They are the lone impressive run defense the Bills have faced (and when McGahee had the fewest yards.

Again, it's not hard to lead the league in rushing when you lead the league in carries.

Why are you ignoring the 39 extra carries Willis has, and why do you think that makes him better than Maroney?

The object of the game of football is to score points.  If the object was to advance the ball down the field, we would've won the Jets game, wouldn't we?

Touchdowns:

Maroney: 3

McGahee: 1, in 39 more carries

Minnesota has faced the 6th, 13th, and 21st-best rushing teams - hardly "flat out great"

Miami has faced the 11th, 27th, and 30th-best runnning teams, or did you neglect Houston and Tennessee?

New Engand has faced the 4th and 14th-best.  They are the lone impressive run defense the Bills have faced (and when McGahee had the fewest yards.

Again, it's not hard to lead the league in rushing when you lead the league in carries.

Why are you ignoring the 39 extra carries Willis has, and why do you think that makes him better than Maroney?

795243[/snapback]

Do you think that:

1) Defenses have to be more careful of Brady than Losman and are required to play farther back?

2) NE has a better OL than the Bills?

Do you think that:

1) Defenses have to be more careful of Brady than Losman and are required to play farther back?

2) NE has a better OL than the Bills?

795250[/snapback]

1. Yes

2. Yes

But I haven't even said Maroney is better than McGahee. My only issue is that someone on this board has said that McGahee is better than Maroney - and it's not even close, and has also said (by association) that Willis is the best in the league. There are factors that work against McGahee, but Bill, would you say McGahee is clearly better than a guy who is gaining a yard more per carry and has more TDs?

I haven't said Maroney is clearly better (or even better at all) or that he is the best in the league. I've only been arguing against someone else's claim.

"(Chris) Chambers was demonstrative in voicing his displeasure to wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett about about Miami's offense in general and his lack of involvement in it in particular."

Gee, this kind of rings a bell! Its The Mularkey Effect!

"(Chris) Chambers was demonstrative in voicing his displeasure to wide receivers coach Charlie Baggett about about Miami's offense in general and his lack of involvement in it in particular."

795270[/snapback]

Only Mularkey could devise a scheme that passes the ball too much AND pisses off the team's #1 WR at the same time.

1. Yes

2. Yes

But I haven't even said Maroney is better than McGahee.  My only issue is that someone on this board has said that McGahee is better than Maroney - and it's not even close, and has also said (by association) that Willis is the best in the league.  There are factors that work against McGahee, but Bill, would you say McGahee is clearly better than a guy who is gaining a yard more per carry and has more TDs?

I haven't said Maroney is clearly better (or even better at all) or that he is the best in the league.  I've only been arguing against someone else's claim.

795263[/snapback]

All while saying nothing truly convincing to detract from the fact that WM has done better than Maroney against better defensive teams.

Now, as far as TDs go - finally, something that supports your point - at first glance. But, if we are talking about rushing TDs as a definition of good then Maroney is just as "good" as Charlie Frye since both have 3 rushing TDs. :lol::P And he is worse than Kevin Barlow - 4 TDs??? No way I believe that. And - your point(whether you want to admit it or not) - he is better than Wills - again, no way. So I guess TDs aren't all they're cracked up to be when determining the best back now are they? :w00t:Check it here As a team we need to get better in the red zone. And, now that it appears we are finally getting it right, who got the first TD last week? Willis.

Again, go to this League Leaders and read. It says league leaders not "number of carries" - so that's why I am saying Willis is better. It also does not say anything about yds/per carry - because it's a sketchy stat at best due to all of the things other posters and myself have said already and can easily be skewed by things that have nothing to do with the running back in question.

Put it this way - if I had told you that WM would be LEADING THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING right now - and would be playing better than Rudi Johnson, Larry Johnson, Sean Alexander and Ronnie Brown, etc. at the beginning of the season, how long would it have taken you and just about the rest of this board to flame me? That is the case - Read it and weep since Maroney isn't even in the top ten

Let me help you out - Maroney is splitting time with Corey Dillon(I have been waiting for you to say this for three posts now). So you could say that he is doing more with less opportunities. However, there are no guarantees on that. How do we know he could handle the load himself? He comes in fresh a hell of a lot more than Willis does. How do we know they wouldn't use Kevin Faulk in place of Dillion? We don't, so don't bother. Bottom Line - check out youtube and look for the plays where Ashton Youbouty is literally owing Maroney and tell me that he could do the same to Willis. I would laugh hard and long if Youboty got in against the Pats just so he could blast Maroney again :D

795270[/snapback]

Chris Chambers in no Eric Moulds.....Eric Moulds has 1 yard-per-catch more than Chris Chambers :devil: