How bout Willis' blocking yesterday.

Please tell me everyone saw him level Kevin Williams. He picked up alot of great blocks yesterday. When we were in third and long minn was bringing a couple of extra blitzers and Willis did a great job of stopping them at the point of contact. It was like he had a serious fire under him yesterday. The kid ran hard and played with alot of intensity.

I wasnt a doubter but I wasnt sold either. This kid took some big strides yestreday. If that O-line keeps improving this could be a fun offense to watch come later in the year.

His blitz pickups were a lot better.  That hit on K Williams was nice; took him off his feet.

792589[/snapback]

Damn near a pancake. His blocking was much improved yesterday and I think that it tells us he was embarassed last week. He made sure the same thing didn't happen yesterday. Props Willis!

It was like he had a serious fire under him yesterday. The kid ran hard and played with alot of intensity.

792586[/snapback]

Not coincidentally, Thurman was in town for Reed's WOF induction and he mentioned this morning that he had a talk with Willis before the game. Thurman mentioned last Monday after the Jets game when asked about Willis missing blocking assignments that there is about 10% skill and 90% heart involved when an RB picks up the blitz. I'm sure he relayed that message to Willis directly.

Not coincidentally, Thurman was in town for Reed's WOF induction and he mentioned this morning that he had a talk with Willis before the game.  Thurman mentioned last Monday after the Jets game when asked about Willis missing blocking assignments that there is about 10% skill and 90% heart involved when an RB picks up the blitz.  I'm sure he relayed that message to Willis directly.

792604[/snapback]

good point. Willis sorely needs a vet to chat in his ear about the little things from time to time. He is running the ball really well and I hope that all facets of this kids game starts to form. He seems like the type of player that confidence is a big part of his game.

good point. Willis sorely needs a vet to chat in his ear about the little things from time to time. He is running the ball really well and I hope that all facets of this kids game starts to form. He seems like the type of player that confidence is a big part of his game.

792665[/snapback]

He was ready to roll....he destroyed two Vikings on blocks, and at the end of the game was pleading with the sidelines to give him the ball and let him run out the clock. He had his game face on yesterday.

He was ready to roll....he destroyed two Vikings on blocks, and at the end of the game was pleading with the sidelines to give him the ball and let him run out the clock.  He had his game face on yesterday.

792670[/snapback]

Definitely. Alot of people question the heart of this kid. He showed alot by his play yesterday. Deserves the game ball in my opinion.

This was another in an endless series of games where stats are misleading. Willis had a very good game running the ball. The 28 carries were more important than the 78 yards. The 2.8 YPC were not indicative of his success or the level of his play. I was very happy that fairchild continued to pound the ball despite the fact we were only getting 2 yards a carry up the middle.

This was another in an endless series of games where stats are misleading. Willis had a very good game running the ball. The 28 carries were more important than the 78 yards. The 2.8 YPC were not indicative of his success or the level of his play. I was very happy that fairchild continued to pound the ball despite the fact we were only getting 2 yards a carry up the middle.

792677[/snapback]

Anyone else screaming at their TV as Terry Donahue said for the 1,347th time "I don't know why the continue to run up the middle." Nothing was more important yesterday than the fact that we ran the ball 30+ times. Ok, maybe something was more important, but it was damn important none the less!

Anyone else screaming at their TV as Terry Donahue said for the 1,347th time "I don't know why the continue to run up the middle."  Nothing was more important yesterday than the fact that we ran the ball 30+ times.  Ok, maybe something was more important, but it was damn important none the less!

792695[/snapback]

Terry Donahue hired Dennis Erickson to coach the 49ers. That alone should have not gotten him an "analyst" job at FOX.

Terry Donahue hired Dennis Erickson to coach the 49ers. That alone should have not gotten him an "analyst" job at FOX.

792706[/snapback]

Those two retards were terrible. I would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard for 4 hours than listen to those morons.

He did better, but if I'm not mistaken he also missed a block that again resulted in a sack.  He HAS to continue to pick up his game.  Maybe Jauron/Fairchild should show him a clip of Portis' blitz pickups, which are some of the best in the league.  That would motivate Willis...

792715[/snapback]

He also made some huge blitz pick ups that would have resulted in JP getting pounded and not being able to move the chains. All Im saying is that it was a huge turnaround from last weeks effort. You can see him gettin better game by game.

Anyone else screaming at their TV as Terry Donahue said for the 1,347th time "I don't know why the continue to run up the middle." 

792695[/snapback]

They may have had a point.

As I see it, Willis had 16 carries up the middle or between the guards for 24 yards. He had 11 carries off tackle or out wide for 51 yards. (There may be something amiss as his stats say 28 for 78 but the play-by-play has 27 for 75.)

His up the middle runs looked like this: 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 0, 2, 2, -1, 1, 6, 3, 0, 2, -1

His off tackle runs looked like this: 5, 4, 2, 18, 0, -2, 2, 7, 1, 6, 8

I think the Bills knew running would be difficult up the middle with Minnesota's hogs. I give them credit for sticking to it. However, don't bust on the announcers who were just noticing and commenting on what was actually happening. I do love the 16 rushes in the 2nd half, and he could've had 18 or 19 if they didn't throw three straight on that one series.

Willis' carries:

1-15-BUF 20 (8:33) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 22 for 2 yards (94-P.Williams, 58-N.Harris).

1-10-BUF 21 (5:29) 21-W.McGahee left guard to BUF 22 for 1 yard (95-K.Udeze, 93-K.Williams).

1-10-BUF 39 (4:18) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 41 for 2 yards (93-K.Williams, 56-E.Henderson). 

2-1-MIN 41 (1:41) 21-W.McGahee left tackle to MIN 36 for 5 yards (58-N.Harris).

1-10-MIN 22 (:25) 21-W.McGahee right tackle to MIN 18 for 4 yards (98-D.Scott, 97-S.Johnson).

1-5-MIN 5 (14:17) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to MIN 3 for 2 yards (93-K.Williams, 56-E.Henderson).

3-1-MIN 1 (13:11) 21-W.McGahee left guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

2-9-BUF 31 (10:54) 21-W.McGahee right tackle to BUF 33 for 2 yards (26-A.Winfield).

1-10-BUF 11 (8:43) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 13 for 2 yards (98-D.Scott).

1-10-BUF 5 (5:14) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 5 for no gain (56-E.Henderson).

2-6-BUF 47 (1:27) 21-W.McGahee left tackle to MIN 35 for 18 yards (58-N.Harris). Key block: J.Peters.

1-10-MIN 35 (12:32) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to MIN 33 for 2 yards (54-D.Thomas, 98-D.Scott).

1-8-MIN 8 (10:04) 21-W.McGahee left tackle to MIN 8 for no gain (97-S.Johnson).

1-10-MIN 32 (4:49) 21-W.McGahee right tackle to MIN 34 for -2 yards. FUMBLES, recovered by BUF-76-T.Reyes at MIN 36

1-10-MIN 17 (2:51) 21-W.McGahee right tackle to MIN 15 for 2 yards (54-D.Thomas, 26-A.Winfield).

2-8-MIN 15 (2:12) 21-W.McGahee left tackle to MIN 8 for 7 yards (24-D.Smith, 56-E.Henderson). Key block: M.Fowler.

3-1-MIN 8 (1:27) 21-W.McGahee left tackle to MIN 7 for 1 yard (24-D.Smith, 26-A.Winfield). Measurement = first down.

1-7-MIN 7 (:56) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to MIN 5 for 2 yards (98-D.Scott, 42-D.Sharper).

2-5-MIN 5 (:16) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to MIN 6 for -1 yards (93-K.Williams, 98-D.Scott).

3-6-MIN 6 (15:00) 21-W.McGahee right guard to MIN 5 for 1 yard (98-D.Scott).

1-10-BUF 16 (7:39) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 22 for 6 yards (24-D.Smith).

2-4-BUF 22 (7:04) 21-W.McGahee right guard to BUF 25 for 3 yards (92-J.Mitchell, 58-N.Harris).

3-1-BUF 25 (6:18) 21-W.McGahee right tackle to BUF 31 for 6 yards (58-N.Harris; 56-E.Henderson).

2-10-BUF 31 (5:32) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 31 for no gain (94-P.Williams).

1-10-BUF 29 (3:00) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 31 for 2 yards (24-D.Smith).

1-10-BUF 44 (2:19) 21-W.McGahee left tackle to MIN 48 for 8 yards (93-K.Williams).

2-2-MIN 48 (2:00) 21-W.McGahee up the middle to MIN 49 for -1 yards (93-K.Williams).

I think Willis is getting better right along with JPL....

792783[/snapback]

There was one late pickup Willis made right in his QB's lap. Losman threw a gawky incompletion stepping backwards when he didn't have to -- he was untouched. Very impressive work by Willis.

As the weeks go on the comfort level should increase back there. Good times ahead.

They may have had a point. 

As I see it, Willis had 16 carries up the middle or between the guards for 24 yards.  He had 11 carries off tackle or out wide for 51 yards.  (There may be something amiss as his stats say 28 for 78 but the play-by-play has 27 for 75.)

His up the middle runs looked like this: 2, 1, 2, 2, 1, 2, 0, 2, 2, -1, 1, 6, 3, 0, 2, -1

His off tackle runs looked like this: 5, 4, 2, 18, 0, -2, 2, 7, 1, 6, 8

I think the Bills knew running would be difficult up the middle with Minnesota's hogs.  I give them credit for sticking to it.  However, don't bust on the announcers who were just noticing and commenting on what was actually happening.  I do love the 16 rushes in the 2nd half, and he could've had 18 or 19 if they didn't throw three straight on that one series.

792760[/snapback]

I was agreeing with the commentators; why run at an opponent's strength; especially when they have a backup DE? Peters and Gandy are pretty good at blocking on off tackle plays. I can see a few runs up the middle to keep the D honest but to continually smash up in the middle against the Williams boys was not the way to go. WM may have gotten 15-20 more yards if they had run more offtackle.

WM is frustrating for if he always runs and blocks hard then he could be a topback like he thinks he is. I mean one minue he dances up to the line the next he is running over LB's or stiffarming DB's. One minute he knocks a 300 Lb DT on his butt or block 2 defenders at a time; the next he lets a Db just walk by him as he plays lacksidasical. Once WM amd JP become more consistent then the NFL better watch out!