Minnesota game

Mile High

Ok.  So let me ask you this, what is important to the outcome?  Keys to the game Sunday, well today, anyone?  Lets talk Minnesota vs. Buffalo.

790831[/snapback]

OK sorry to be a nit but, trenches are always important. Whether or not it's more or less important than usual, I don't think has anything to do with how good a team's lines are. I hope that makes some sense. :D

As for keys, I've gone into pretty much every Bills game for 10 years thinking that our offense was the key. I think I've been right for the most part. 7-9 and 6-10 in 1997/2003 with a good defense and 8-8 with a terrible D in 2002 is pretty good evidence of this.

For some reason, I get the feeling that our defense is going to decide our fate this season. Maybe it's because for some inexplicable reason, I like our offense a little bit this year providing a lack of JP brainfarts. I think fans of about 20 teams think their OL stinks and I don't think ours is much worse than average and I think our skill guys can play some. I dunno, I just don't see us losing many 13-10 games this year.

I know Brad Johnson has won a lot peoples respect lately (me included) but their wideouts scare nobody. Our run defense makes me cringe; if we keep Chester Taylor under 80 yards we'll be in 1st place Monday. So yeah, I guess I agree that trenches are big.

OK sorry to be a nit but, trenches are always important.  Whether or not it's more or less important than usual, I don't think has anything to do with how good a team's lines are.  I hope that makes some sense.  :D 

Gusss I'm just looking at their dl vs. our oline and the battles that are going to be taking place there. Williams (2), Scott and Udeze are all talanted players and are capable of stopping the run. Getting Willis to the second level might be tough.

As for keys, I've gone into pretty much every Bills game for 10 years thinking that our offense was the key.  I think I've been right for the most part.  7-9 and 6-10 in 1997/2003 with a good defense and 8-8 with a terrible D in 2002 is pretty good evidence of this. 

I looked back at that Baltimore team with the monster d. How they carried every game. That's why I think Baltimore is a legit contender this year cause they're dominating d is back.

For some reason, I get the feeling that our defense is going to decide our fate this season.  Maybe it's because for some inexplicable reason, I like our offense a little bit this year providing a lack of JP brainfarts.  I think fans of about 20 teams think their OL stinks and I don't think ours is much worse than average and I think our skill guys can play some.  I dunno, I just don't see us losing many 13-10 games this year.

Once Jp is there, which he has shown flashes of a solid starter and shown some bone head decsions. I think the offense will decide our fate. As of now it's all on the d's shoulders and stopping the run.

I know Brad Johnson has won a lot peoples respect lately (me included) but their wideouts scare nobody.  Our run defense makes me cringe; if we keep Chester Taylor under 80 yards we'll be in 1st place Monday.  So yeah, I guess I agree that trenches are big.

790838[/snapback]

Jonson is a great decision maker. Taylor's not 100% (ankle). But they do have Moore who is a decent and fast back up. If we keep them under 100 yards toatl on the ground I'll be estatic.

This game will be tough because we seem to match up poorly to the Vikes in one key area.

What scares me the most is the left side of the Vikes OL. Hutchinson is often said to be the best OG in football, and he plays between McKinnie and all pro OC Birk. The Bills are not so great at stopping the run, and my fear is that these 3 will provide truck sized holes to run through.

Otoh, while I respect Big Pat, I am nowhere near as high on him as are many here. If he starts lunging and getting out of position, I can see Willis running past him and gaining good yards.

As for JP, it's like any other game. If he gets time, he should be able to use his weapons, hopefully Evans.

This is one of the extremely few games in which I hpe the Bills receive the kickoff. Maybe we can score early and force them to throw a bit more than usual. I still am high on our DEs, and think that a few sacks are not out of the question.

Prediction: The homer in me says Bills 21 Vikes 20.

This game will be tough because we seem to match up poorly to the Vikes in one key area.

What scares me the most is the left side of the Vikes OL. Hutchinson is often said to be the best OG in football, and he plays between McKinnie and all pro OC Birk. The Bills are not so great at stopping the run, and my fear is that these 3 will provide truck sized holes to run through.

Otoh, while I respect Big Pat, I am nowhere near as high on him as are many here. If he starts lunging and getting out of position, I can see Willis running past him and gaining good yards.

As for JP, it's like any other game. If he gets time, he should be able to use his weapons, hopefully Evans.

This is one of the extremely few games in which I hpe the Bills receive the kickoff. Maybe we can score early and force them to throw a bit more than usual. I still am high on our DEs, and think that a few sacks are not out of the question.

790876[/snapback]

I'm high on our de's too. Still, I can't figure out the pressure problem last week. Whether it was the three step drop or the Jets ot's were just that good. A good rotation of Kelsa-Denney is going to be one of the main focuses for me in this game. Also IF Takeo comes back. I think he is a HUGE lift mentally for this d. Should be interesting.

790876[/snapback]

Williams loves to try and shoot the gaps and create huge upfield penetration. When he does, he'll get tackles for losses or disrupt the play. Other times he'll lose gap control and it will result in a 10 yard willis run

I'm high on our de's too.  Still, I can't figure out the pressure problem last week.  Whether it was the three step drop or the Jets ot's were just that good.  A good rotation of Kelsa-Denney is going to be one of the main focuses for me in this game.  Also IF Takeo comes back.  I think he is a HUGE lift mentally for this d.  Should be interesting.

790971[/snapback]

For the last 2 weeks, I have seen Schobel dropping off into pass coverage many times. I am hoping that this week they send him after Johnson, big time.

What makes our defense better this year (imo) is the fact that Tripplett (and perhaps the rookies) offer more of a pass rushing threat than last season.

In the Miami game, there was a play where Kelsay got a sack because Culpepper was chased right into him by Triplett. That is what I like to see!

I like Fewell a lot so far, but again, he needs to turn up the heat on Johnson today. Johnson IS good, but he is not young and the Bills do have good speed up front.

If Fewell can come up with a way to slow down the Vikes groung game, a win is possible.

Williams loves to try and shoot the gaps and create huge upfield penetration.  When he does, he'll get tackles for losses or disrupt the play.  Other times he'll lose gap control and it will result in a 10 yard willis run

790980[/snapback]

The above is 100% true. A poster "Badolbilz" labled Big Pat a "lunger," and I fully agree.

For the last 2 weeks, I have seen Schobel dropping off into pass coverage many times. I am hoping that this week they send him after Johnson, big time.

What makes our defense better this year (imo) is the fact that Tripplett (and perhaps the rookies) offer more of a pass rushing threat than last season.

In the Miami game, there was a play where Kelsay got a sack because Culpepper was chased right into him by Triplett. That is what I like to see!

I like Fewell a lot so far, but again, he needs to turn up the heat on Johnson today. Johnson IS good, but he is not young and the Bills do have good speed up front.

If Fewell can come up with a way to slow down the Vikes groung game, a win is possible.

790985[/snapback]

8 men in the box would have to be the obvious answer to this, however I think you're going to see more run blitzing today and chances taken by Fewell. Especially is TKO comes back. If the box IS stacked for the run, Johnson will use his speedy wr's wfich I think could play to our advantage. He does need to turn up the heat on Johnson, somehow.