ESPN Biggest Flops of last 25 years

Shamrock

I agree somewhat.  If you're talking about home playoff chokes as the favorite, both the 49ers & Steelers are way up there; obv. nobody seems to care or remember since they've won 5 SB's each.  The Eagles & Chiefs though, have flamed out without winning the big prize (at least since 1970) so those franchise would be underrated choke artists.

As the years go by though, it gets harder to explain our SB defeats.  Yeah the Skins & Dallas were better teams, but by how much?  Washington had a great OL and a great offensive coach, and it's understandable that they manhandled our undersized DL.  We had a great OL too though; and should've been able to put up more points.  I don't understand how they killed us with the blitz so easily (Denver sort of did this the week before, and I'm not sure our offense was ever the same after that).  I guess it didn't help that Beebe dropped a TD and Reed was getting mugged in that game. 

Another inexplicable point is that we got some breaks early in those games - the blocked FG vs. the Skins, an overturned TD, blocked punt vs. Dallas....those are the kind of plays where if we had won, everyone would say "that play set the tone for the game".

790020[/snapback]

My biggest issue with the Bills is more with the fact in how bad they lost more than in the fact that they lost. While I wanted them to win evrey game, they'd have more respect if they had at least made those games competitive. But that being said; like I tell my firends: we beat all the teams we were suppose to beat to get there, BOTTOMLINE! My cousin is a Jets fans and he ragged us all the time. I pointed out that the Jets can't even but 2 winning seasons back to back let alone make 4 straight Super Bowls. He'd then point out Super Bowl III that was played before he was thought of! Namath is probably in a wheelchair somewhere drunk and hitting on the nurses and CNA's! To me a flop is the Atlanta Braves. While they did win a ring, they lost a lot of years to teams they were better than and choked with dominant squads. At least Howie Long gives us credit in the "Football for Dummies" book!

obviously whoever wrote this doesnt pay any attention to the NFL and how hard it is to get to the playoffs 4 consecutive years let alone the superbowl. AFC championship 4 years in a row, NFLs greatest comeback, Bruce Smith. yes these are all terrible things the sports world has to be ashamed of

The 49ers lost to the L.A. Rams before playing the Giants.

The Giants lost to Philly before playing the 49ers.

789946[/snapback]

That pro-football-reference site is legit.

One strange note about the Bills four Super Bowl seasons....each of those four years we got our asses kicked in at least one game. I mean we only lost 15 regular season games, but we had SEVEN pretty significant thrashings laid on us. That doesn't seem to be a common occurance among Super Bowl teams.

1990: L 7-30 at MIA

1991: L 6-33 at KC

1992: L 10-37 MIA, 3-20 at LA, 3-27 at HOU

1993: 0-23 at PIT, 7-23 at KC

That pro-football-reference site is legit. 

One strange note about the Bills four Super Bowl seasons....each of those four years we got our asses kicked in at least one game.  I mean we only lost 15 regular season games, but we had SEVEN pretty significant thrashings laid on us.  That doesn't seem to be a common occurance among Super Bowl teams.

1990: L 7-30 at MIA

1991: L 6-33 at KC

1992: L 10-37 MIA, 3-20 at LA, 3-27 at HOU

1993: 0-23 at PIT, 7-23 at KC

790341[/snapback]

A reminder of why I always thought a trip to KC was bad news.

How can people get pissed about this? It is actually ranked higher by the general public if you look at the list on the right. The Bills LOST 4 BOWLS in a row. That is a momumental f-up in the biggest sense of the word. Any Bill on those teams would have traded 1 win for 4 appearances...one of the biggest chokes in the history of sports, it was a bitter pill to swallow but sometimes the truth hurts.