Pat Williams Speaks

Webster Guy

Normally Id take this stuff as rantings of a disgruntled player but seeing his difference in attitude between marv and the donahoe regime, makes me wonder what more of the players thought of them. I still wish we had fat pat, and wish him the best in the closing of his career, just not against us. It's another great test for our oline to see how far they're coming along

Normally Id take this stuff as rantings of a disgruntled player but seeing his difference in attitude between marv and the donahoe regime, makes me wonder what more of the players thought of them. I still wish we had fat pat, and wish him the best in the closing of his career, just not against us.  It's another great test for our oline to see how far they're coming along

787953[/snapback]

Melvin Fowler (from the Vikes) will be facing Pat Williams. What a great match up!

When i read what he was saying, it was like he was one of us, and saying the same thing we all have been saying the last 2 years. Pat will always be a Bill in my mind, I am happy to see he's on a winning team, hopefully he they have an off game this weekend.

When i read what he was saying, it was like he was one of us, and saying the same thing we all have been saying the last 2 years.  Pat will always be a Bill in my mind, I am happy to see he's on a winning team, hopefully he they have an off game this weekend.

787967[/snapback]

We were pretty happy with both in 2004, I thought.

Donahoe was fired here for picking bad coaches, not players. Pat Williams was the only free agent we let go who we arguably should have kept and he has maybe 2 good years left.

And the Steelers (who still don't overpay for free agents) didn't do too shabby when Donahoe was GM: 6 playoff appearances, 5 division titles, 3 AFC championship games, and a Super Bowl appearance in 9 years.

Even Donahoe's detractors cannot fault him for how he handled free agents. If he had picked better coaches and Mike Williams was a stud not dud, he'd still be here.

Donahoe was fired here for picking bad coaches, not players. Pat Williams was the only free agent we let go who we arguably should have kept and he has maybe 2 good years left.

And the Steelers (who still don't overpay for free agents) didn't do too shabby when Donahoe was GM: 6 playoff appearances, 5 division titles, 3 AFC championship games, and a Super Bowl appearance in 9 years.

Even Donahoe's detractors cannot fault him for how he handled free agents. If he had picked better coaches and Mike Williams was a stud not dud, he'd still be here.

788057[/snapback]

Didn't he let Jonas Jennings go? I thought he was a darn good offensive tackle. Imagine Peters at one tackle and Jennings at the other. The proof is in the pudding. He took a very good playoff caliber team and turned it into a team at the bottom of the league.

788057[/snapback]

They weren't very good in Donahoe's last few years as GM. Do you think not re-signing players finally caught up with him? Free Agency suplements what you do in the draft, therefore if you can criticize him for the draft you can criticize him for free-agency. He wasn't able to replace Pat through the draft (Tim Anderson and Ron Edwrads) ergo he was not active enough in free agency at the DT position.

I especially like this one:

"All them dumb a—-s are gone," Williams said. "If they were still there, I would have a problem with (the Bills). But they got Marv (Levy) running things, and they're trying to get things back on line."

They weren't very good in Donahoe's last few years as GM. Do you think not re-signing players finally caught up with him? Free Agency suplements what you do in the draft, therefore if you can criticize him for the draft you can criticize him for free-agency. He wasn't able to replace Pat through the draft (Tim Anderson and Ron Edwrads) ergo he was not active enough in free agency at the DT position.

788096[/snapback]

Maybe--although I think the run defense would have completely different with Takeo on the field. I'm also not saying PW was a bad player, just too expensive for his age. Teams like the Bills and Steelers (even pre-Donahoe) for years have been successful by not overpaying for old free agents.

The decisions to let guys like Jonas J and Winfield go (replaced by Gandy and McGee at half the price) and to trade Peerless Price were smart, in my opinion.

I'm not a rah-rah Donahoe guy, but I think the one thing he excelled in was free agency.

Didn't he let Jonas Jennings go?  I thought he was a darn good offensive tackle.  Imagine Peters at one tackle and Jennings at the other.  The proof is in the pudding.  He took a very good playoff caliber team and turned it into a team at the bottom of the league.

788088[/snapback]

Jennings was oft injured and did not have the kind of resume to throw 14M in signing bonus.....Look at the # of games he has played for the 49ers after

signing with him. His first season was a complete wash after going on IR. The

second season he is still nursing various injuries... I definitely don't think you

would have wanted to be saddled with a injury prone LT.....You want your LT

to play 15-16 games a season....not 10-12......

Jennings was oft injured and did not have the kind of resume to throw 14M in signing bonus.....Look at the # of games he has played for the 49ers after

signing with him. His first season was a complete wash after going on IR.  The

second season he is still nursing various injuries... I definitely don't think you

would have wanted to be saddled with a injury prone LT.....You want your LT

to play 15-16 games a season....not 10-12......

788130[/snapback]

Bingo!

The problem that TD had with his handling of JJ at LT was not a problem that he did not resign him, but that he picked an injury prone player who never started all 16 games on the OL in his 4 years here.

I agree that JJ was a good player WHEN he was on the field. Howevr in his last season he was unable to finish a full one quarter of our games (injury forced him to miss starts in two games and injuries not him out of the two games prior with significant time left on the clock).

The worse thing about JJ as a player was that by my definition he proved to be injury prone as he was knicked out of games or slowed by a variety of injuries rather than having one nagging (or even serious) injury which could be worked on.

One week it was a shoulder muscle problem, a few weeks later it was a lower leg problem, and then it was a concussion. A player like WM had a much more critical problem as his knee blowout cost him a full year of play. Yet, i would not classify him as injury prone in that he made a surprising full comeback from the potentially career-ending injury.

JJ (and RJ as another example) are injury prone players as while they do not seem to suffer the tremendous traumas that a WM or even a TKO had, it was a series of injuries to different parts of their body which cost them smaller amounts of time but in the end made them bad investments from my point of view. i was not surprised to see JJ end up on IR for the vast bulk of last season for SF or to here that yet a different physical problem is slowing him down this year. Yet, thanks to SF signing him and TD letting him go he is laughin and limping all the way to the bank with their cap money.

TD was guilty of many stupid things (he spent significantresources trying to follow the BINYC method of building an OL through the draft spending a 4th pick on MW in addition to the first day choice of JJ, in addition, OL was one of two units that he drafted a player for every single draft0. TD's problems stem from the bad HC hire of GW who hired his non OL coach buddy Vinky to be the OL coach and then replace him with the equally inexperienced Ruel when it became obvious Vinky was a failure.

What a churlish jerk. He cashed a paycheck from the Bills for 8 years, now makes snotty comments like a little brat saying "Nya, nya, you can't touch me! I hate you! I always hated you!"

I'm certainly no TD fan, but I have an idea how an adult deports himself in the business world...

I think one of the things that sticks in Pat Williams craw is that he genuinely loved to play for/live in Buffalo. I remember running into him in the Atlanta airport as we were waiting for a flight back to Buffalo and he was one of the nicest humble people you'd ever meet. He genuinely wanted to stay here and liked the area, but Donahoe never treated it like a family around here made a lot of formerly loyal people bitter.