Could it be the coach?

Frez

Marv was a "decent" head coach. He had fantastic offensive talent here and that did his coaching for him. Any coach that loses 3 of the last Super Bowls the way he did is nothing special IMHO. He made no adjustments in those games to help and his teams never looked prepared.  I know I will draw alot of flack but its the way I feel. I could care a less about the Hall of Fame.

56847[/snapback]

That's why the Hall is known for just letting any coach who hasn't won a S.B. get in, right? Such an easy process for marginal coaches.

Yep, Marv just rolled the ball out and the players drew it up in the dirt. Puff, puff, give, MFer.

Jim Kelly disagrees with you. Steve Tasker disagrees with you. Darryl Talley disagrees with you. That's more than good enough for me.

WHO?  WHO are you proposing should have been hired this offseason?  It shouldn't be hard to give out a name.

56851[/snapback]

Only winner that comes to mind is Gibbs but your missing the point. The Bills NEVER spend money on a coach not just this season. Hell if they didnt hire another nobody rookie in Williams they wouldnt have been looking in the off season. I mean hide your head in the sand if you want to but you cant deny what im saying is true. Just look at the history

Only winner that comes to mind is Gibbs but your missing the point. The Bills NEVER spend money on a coach not just this season. Hell if they didnt hire another nobody rookie in Williams they wouldnt  have been looking in the off season.  I mean hide your head in the sand if you want to but you cant deny what im saying is true. Just look at the history

56861[/snapback]

Gibbs was never coming to Buffalo. He would take ONE job and only one. The one he HAS. The Skins sure look great. One and Three. A win over a bad Tampa team that hasn't won a game yet. Two losses within their division. Rolled up by the Giants after turning the ball over SEVEN times. Bad replay challenges. Bad coaching decisions by the defense with the game on the line against Dallas.

Next.

Gibbs was never coming to Buffalo.  He would take ONE job and only one.  The one he HAS.  The Skins sure look great.  One and Three.  Two losses within their division.  Rolled up by the Giants after turning the ball over SEVEN times.  Bad replay challenges.  Bad coaching decisions by the defense with the game on the line against Dallas.

Next.

56862[/snapback]

1-3? One more win than the Bills have. Oh and who did we lose to? Also rans like the Jags and the Faiders? And yes we did play the Super Bowl champs. Hooray for us we only lost by 14 at home.

1-3? One more win than the Bills have.  Oh and who did we lose to? Also rans like the Jags and the Faiders? And yes we did play the Super Bowl champs. Hooray for us we only lost by 14 at home.

56868[/snapback]

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

The Jags would be in the playoffs if they started today.

Fraud.

So after 3 games people are ready to bag the coach?

Amazing.

56865[/snapback]

No. Were stuck with the Bills decision now they have to hope things get better. And im not saying Mularkey wont improve as a head coach. How come its always Buffalo that is the training center?

Lessee - Lou Saban was a proven winner when he came back in '72. Too bad he quit in the middle of the season, AGAIN, a couple of years later. After giving Jim Ringo a chance for a year, the Bills tried to get Bill Walsh, but he said he wanted to stay in California. So they signed Chuck Knox, who had just coached the Rams to their 5th straight NFC West title.

When Knox left after '82, Kay Stephenson got the job. OK, that was a mistake. Stephenson got whacked in mid-85, so Bullough took over as interim HC and got a year to prove himself, much like Ringo. Then came Levy and Wade, then GW, then Mularkey (who reportedly got a 5 year/$7.5 million contract. Interesting definition of "cutting corners".)

Let's add that up. Eight head coaches since 1972, three (Saban, Knox, Phillips) who had previously taken teams to the playoffs.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

The Jags would be in the playoffs if they started today.

Fraud.

56869[/snapback]

You actually think the Jags are a good team? They have no offence and they lost their first real test.

Lessee - Lou Saban was a proven winner when he came back in '72. Too bad he quit in the middle of the season, AGAIN, a couple of years later. After giving Jim Ringo a chance for a year, the Bills tried to get Bill Walsh, but he said he wanted to stay in California. So they signed Chuck Knox, who had just coached the Rams to their 5th straight NFC West title.

When Knox left after '82, Kay Stephenson got the job. OK, that was a mistake. Stephenson got whacked in mid-85, so Bullough took over as interim HC and got a year to prove himself, much like Ringo. Then came Levy and Wade, then GW, then Mularkey (who reportedly got a 5 year/$7.5 million contract. Interesting definition of "cutting corners".)

Let's add that up. Eight head coaches since 1972, three (Saban, Knox, Phillips) who had previously taken teams to the playoffs.

56872[/snapback]

Im wrong about Knox. YOur right he was a solid coach. I did forget about him. As for Saban? Hell thats before my time. Im talking farily recent history here. Wade Phillips was never considered by anyone a proven quality head coach as far as I know and he certainly proved that while he was here. As for Levy I doubt he was hired for alot of cash considering his record coming in. Maybe later he got bigger money.

Im not sure of the going rate for head coaches now so I dont know how Mularkeys contract stacks up. But IF he is making experienced head coach with a winning record type money the Bills are worse than being cheap. There are very stupid.

You actually think the Jags are a good team?  They have no offence and  they lost their first real test.

56876[/snapback]

Were they supposed to go undefeated this season? I'd hardly call taking the Colts down to their last drive of the game a poor performance.

There are no teams in the NFL that are balanced. Each team has a strong unit coupled with a weaker unit. The Jags are stronger defensively and that kept them in the game long enough to tie it up in the 4th quarter.

the Bills tried to get Bill Walsh, but he said he wanted to stay in California.

56872[/snapback]

Nary a mention of this in 'Building a Champion' by Walsh. According to Walsh, the Jets and Seahawks had him as a top 3 candidate when he was looking to leave the clutches of Paul Brown.

He went to Stanford.

Rams (Rosenbloom looking to replace Knox), and Bears came calling after Walsh put in his first year at Stanford. He put in another with the Cardinal before DeBartolo courted him.

All the above from his words - no Bills.

What is your source?

Im not sure how much Levy cost. If he was pricey big deal. One exception in the last 30 years. Im proud of Ralph. Marv sucked anyway. Hey im not saying Mularkey isnt capable. But no one knows and thats my point. When have the Bills last gone out and got a proven winner as head coach? Seriously ,you said it yourself. Marv had a losing record when he came to Buffalo(31-42).

56836[/snapback]

Marv came in rock bottom. He was doing Bills color commentary on the radio before Ralph hired him. The guy cleaning out the garbage in the admin building was second choice.

Nary a mention of this in 'Building a Champion' by Walsh. According to Walsh, the Jets and Seahawks had him as a top 3 candidate when he was looking to leave the clutches of Paul Brown.

He went to Stanford.

Rams (Rosenbloom looking to replace Knox), and Bears came calling after Walsh put in his first year at Stanford. He put in another with the Cardinal before DeBartolo courted him.

All the above from his words - no Bills.

What is your source?

56996[/snapback]

Dec. 29, 1977: Ralph Wilson said he had narrowed his list of candidates for the head coaching job to three: Monte Clark, Stanford coach Bill Walsh, and New Orleans assistant Dick Nolan.

Relentless, p. 243

Jan. 2, 1978: Stanford coach Bill Walsh had Ralph Wilson to dinner at his home in Palo Alto, Calif., but Walsh didn't think he was in the running for the Bills' head coaching position because he had already gone on record as saying he preferred staying in California.

Relentless, p. 252. Knox was officially hired on January 11th.

In his foreword to Relentless, Sal Maiorana says much of his research was done from scrapbooks of local newspaper clippings compiled by the Bills PR department, so your guess is as good as mine as to where those stories originally appeared.

Aside: I WANT TO SEE THOSE SCRAPBOOKS. Man. I'm drooling at the very thought of their existence.