More Rules, As We Spread "Freedom"

Liberalism wasn't supposed to work like this. Was it?

In the 60s, liberals smoked weed, tripped on LSD and advocated free sex. They didn't like (nor vote for ala Kerry/Hillary) wars. Liberals advocated freedom. I was able to respect these people (even if I didn't agree with them on each and every issue).

Today, (with some admitted help from their phony "conservative" friends), they are hell bent on controlling your behavior. This includes whether or not you may smoke cigarettes in a BAR (in which the owner wants you to have this right), your diet, and noise (such as bells on NYC Ice Cream Trucks) that they don't particularly care for. They think that "play dates" for their kids are cool too. This wouldn't have worked in Queens (where I grew up) and I have a feeling, after visiting WNY for the last 12 consecutive years that it wouldn't have gone over there either, in a reigon of down to earth people.

Sadly, there is more to come. Some day, the sheep that buy into this facism will see the light, but it will be far too late. Rights that YOU enjoy will be taken away, such as tailgates, barbecues, etc. Another attempt at prohibition would not surprise me one bit.

The "land of the free" indeed. :P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liberalism wasn't supposed to work like this. Was it?

In the 60s, liberals smoked weed, tripped on LSD and advocated free sex. They didn't like (nor vote for ala Kerry/Hillary) wars. Liberals advocated freedom. I was able to respect these people (even if I didn't agree with them on each and every issue).

Today, (with some admitted help from their phony "conservative" friends), they are hell bent on controlling your behavior. This includes whether or not you may smoke cigarettes in a BAR (in which the owner wants you to have this right), your diet, and noise (such as bells on NYC Ice Cream Trucks) that they don't particularly care for. They think that "play dates" for their kids are cool too. This wouldn't have worked in Queens (where I grew up) and I have a feeling, after visiting WNY for the last 12 consecutive years that it wouldn't have gone over there either, in a reigon of down to earth people.

Sadly, there is more to come. Some day, the sheep that buy into this facism will see the light, but it will be far too late. Rights that YOU enjoy will be taken away, such as tailgates, barbecues, etc. Another attempt at prohibition would not surprise me one bit.

The "land of the free" indeed.  ;)

787642[/snapback]

So I guess just everyone who is considered a "liberal" because they are "left of center" is the same eh?

Because, after all, liberal just means government solutions for everything doesn't it?

This post is a perfect example of the Republican party's ability to redefine what it means to be a liberal or conservative. Liberal = Democratic party member, Conservative = Republican party member, when it is in reality much different.

So I guess just everyone who is considered a "liberal" because they are "left of center" is the same eh?

Because, after all, liberal just means government solutions for everything doesn't it?

This post is a perfect example of the Republican party's ability to redefine what it means to be a liberal or conservative.  Liberal = Democratic party member, Conservative = Republican party member, when it is in reality much different.

787905[/snapback]

Thank you for that.

This post is a perfect example of the Republican party's ability to redefine what it means to be a liberal or conservative.  Liberal = Democratic party member, Conservative = Republican party member, when it is in reality much different.

787905[/snapback]

Defensive? ;)

787905[/snapback]

I now speak for the Republican Party? C'mon, get a grip.

I have no idea who I will support in 08, but it will NOT be McCain. I would rather stay home, vote for an independant, or even a decent democrat (which looking at the last few decades is seemingly impossible).

I am by no means a blind republican.

My post wasn't about parties. Imo neither of them represents what is best for my family. Otoh, YOU introduced the party issue. Why? Is this what your "leaders" (Kerry and Hillary) want you to do? ;)

My post was about rights being taken away from Americans. NY is a mecca for "liberals," wouldn't you say? Well, they are gobbling up rights as fast as customers are gobbling up the french fries at McDonalds, and this includes both parties. In Ct., people's homes are being confiscated and given to big business because of a court decision made by "liberal" justices. Are you OK with that?

PS: I do have vices, but eating fries is not one of them. I have probably not had one in more than a decade. I don't like them. I like people having rights.

How about you?

I have no idea who I will support in 08, but it will NOT be McCain. I would rather stay home, vote for an independant, or even a decent democrat (which looking at the last few decades is seemingly impossible).

My post wasn't about parties. Imo neither of them represents what is best for my family. Otoh, YOU introduced the party issue. Why? Is this what your "leaders" (Kerry and Hillary) want you to do?  ;)

My post was about rights being taken away from Americans. NY is a mecca for "liberals," wouldn't you say? Well, they are gobbling up rights as fast as customers are gobbling up the french fries at McDonalds, and this includes both parties. In Ct., people's homes are being confiscated and given to big business because of a court decision made by "liberal" justices. Are you OK with that?

PS: I do have vices, but eating fries is not one of them. I have probably not had one in more than a decade. I don't like them. I like people having rights.

How about you?

788053[/snapback]

Different people, liberal and conservative, want to regulate different things, and let's not kid ourselves here. There are liberals who want less restrictions on marijuana, birth control, abortion rights, and more restrictions on ownership of media, for example. This is where I'm coming from. Vice versa for a lot of so-called conservatives who "want the government out of your life®."*

*Offer not applicable for social choices and strictly related to matters of the pocketbook.

I enjoy going to a restaurant and not smelling like smoke -- all the same, I do think a business owner has a right to choose how to run his business to a point and I'm not sure about these laws -- actually, I'm definitely sure that a law against trans fats is patently stupid -- as it's about a one to one relationship btw customer and patron. Smoking at least can be argued to be harmful to a multitude of people, so I understand the argument, even if I don't necessarily support it. This one's just crazy, though.

Bill, I think what BlueFire is trying to say is don't paint us all with the same brush. When you do, you might be alienating people who actually agree with you (or might be swayed to your case) by prefacing it always with "those damn liberals" who are responsible for life's ills... when it's actually just a body of a certain few who do not necessarily represent the whole.

Different people, liberal and conservative, want to regulate different things, and let's not kid ourselves here.  There are liberals who want less restrictions on marijuana, birth control, abortion rights, and more restrictions on ownership of media, for example.  This is where I'm coming from.  Vice versa for a lot of so-called conservatives who "want the government out of your life®."*

*Offer not applicable for social choices and strictly related to matters of the pocketbook.

I enjoy going to a restaurant and not smelling like smoke -- all the same, I do think a business owner has a right to choose how to run his business to a point and I'm not sure about these laws -- actually, I'm definitely sure that a law against trans fats is patently stupid -- as it's about a one to one relationship btw customer and patron.  Smoking at least can be argued to be harmful to a multitude of people, so I understand the argument, even if I don't necessarily support it.  This one's just crazy, though.

Bill, I think what BlueFire is trying to say is don't paint us all with the same brush.  When you do, you might be alienating people who actually agree with you (or might be swayed to your case) by prefacing it always with "those damn liberals" who are responsible for life's ills... when it's actually just a body of a certain few who do not necessarily represent the whole.

788078[/snapback]

I appreciate both the text and tone of your post, and hope that I made myself at least a bit more clear.

I singled out the "liberals" (and perhaps I am wrong to do so), because they, at least to me, focus on agenda more than rights.

The same abortion rights people quite often want to ban hunting (another thing I do not partake in, but support the right for others to do so) because they think that killing animals is murder. I am willing to bet that most of these people consider themselves to be "liberal."

Your position on these issues shows an open mind, and I compliment you for this.

I appreciate both the text and tone of your post, and hope that I made myself at least a bit more clear.

I singled out the "liberals" (and perhaps I am wrong to do so), because they, at least to me, focus on agenda more than rights.

The same abortion rights people quite often want to ban hunting (another thing I do not partake in, but support the right for others to do so) because they think that killing animals is murder. I am willing to bet that most of these people consider themselves to be "liberal."

Your position on these issues shows an open mind, and I compliment you for this.

788100[/snapback]

I appreciate the same. I feel like, and maybe I'm wrong here, but it's a small segment of people who want to ban hunting. Personally, I think deer hunting in particular is pretty necessary here in NY state. And I think it's important to be conscious of the fact that people have hunted for survival for ages. It's not to be frowned upon and is actually about as ecological and self-responsible as it gets, considering there is so much less in the chain between the production of the food and the consumption.

As long as hunting is done with respect for nature -- and I am not close enough to it to really know how people act these days -- I am absolutely cool with it. That means preserving the young of a species so it can live on, and taking care of the natural resources you use while hunting so that future hunters can enjoy the same nature you can. And I'm less supportive of hunting for sport (I view it as waste), but as long as it's not a protected species I am ok with that too.

Any militant vegans out there would do better to focus their time on banning factory cattle farming, anyhow. That uses a hell of a lot more resources and is far less humane. That's another argument for another day.

So what about fries? ;)

Any militant vegans out there would do better to focus their time on banning factory cattle farming, anyhow.  That uses a hell of a lot more resources and is far less humane.  That's another argument for another day.

788138[/snapback]

Except that they're too busy looking out for the rights of roaches. "...these gentle, complex, sensitive animals do not deserve to be eaten alive."

;)

Defensive?  :D

788047[/snapback]

Nah, actually, I've been studying the marketing campaign to redefine what "liberal" and "conservative" mean, and its interesting that it had so much effect. This post was just a perfect example of it.

My post wasn't about parties. Imo neither of them represents what is best for my family. Otoh, YOU introduced the party issue. Why? Is this what your "leaders" (Kerry and Hillary) want you to do?  :w00t:

How about you?

788053[/snapback]

Nah, thats not what I meant. Hell, I don't even consider myself a Democrat. I'm most likely an old-school liberal in social respects, but neither party is best representing my interests right now. :w00t:

It was more about how the marketing campaign to label a group of people into something to change what the meaning of a word is, and why thats a bad thing, but its worked.

RTB said it well. And yeah, I do actually agree with you that its stupid to ban those types of things, but it was more or less a comment on redefining what labels are to a group of people that they don't necessarily belong to in order to change what a label means in order to help one side.

And its not just republicans that have been using the new terms. Its everyone, and its ingrained into society now, and the meanings have changed from what they used to be.

The "land of the free" indeed.  :(

787642[/snapback]

That's already happened at UConn's new football stadium just outside Hartford. The rules make it so there is a de facto 'No tailgating allowed' in place. People cannot throw footballs in the lots.... I think it allows electric grills. But from what I hear (been out of there for a while), no one tailgates anymore like they did at the old stadium on campus. It is a parking lot for people watching football. :blink:

This was done, evidently, for insurance reasons for the U. And before you go touting CT as uber-lib, I've had contact w/ the admin, and the people are about as bowtie-conservative as you get.

Either way you cut it, both sides have their own list of things they want banned so as to make the concept of choice a thing of the past.

That's already happened at UConn's new football stadium just outside Hartford. The rules make it so there is a de facto 'No tailgating allowed' in place. People cannot throw footballs in the lots.... I think it allows electric grills. But from what I hear (been out of there for a while), no one tailgates anymore like they did at the old stadium on campus. It is a parking lot for people watching football.  :blink:

This was done, evidently, for insurance reasons for the U. And before you go touting CT as uber-lib, I've had contact w/ the admin, and the people are about as bowtie-conservative as you get.

Either way you cut it, both sides have their own list of things they want banned so as to make the concept of choice a thing of the past.

788804[/snapback]

Liability Insurance and Tort Law wants to B word-slap your freedom.

Does everybody microwave chimichangas at the 7-11 before they come to the lot?