Another Willis Topic

Frez

Willis had a pretty good day yesterday but failed to find the endzone once agian. Is it me or does he take himself out of the game to often for a breather? He seems to come out after a few runs and head right to the sidelines for water and fresh air. When he does this I think it hurts the running game. I would like to see him stay in the game more often. Is he that tired out after a few runs? Makes me wonder what was said about him not lifting weights in the off season and just running the tread mill.

Willis had a pretty good day yesterday but failed to find the endzone once agian. Is it me or does he take himself out of the game to often for a breather? He seems to come out after a few runs and head right to the sidelines for water and fresh air. When he does this I think it hurts the running game. I would like to see him stay in the game more often. Is he that tired out after a few runs? Makes me wonder what was said about him not lifting weights in the off season and just running the tread mill.

785415[/snapback]

Willis is NOT a top-tier NFL RB. Anybody could have gashed that Jet D yesterday. REAL NFL RBs can convert a 3rd and 1. All they do is fall forward.

785415[/snapback]

Just you I think....A.Thomas only had 1 attempt. Willis was there for the rest of the game. Week 1 when Thomas got the TD, WM had a legit ankle problem.

When he is in all game, people complain the opposite. His lack of TDs is surely as much or more to do with coaching/play-calling as him.

Willis is NOT a top-tier NFL RB. Anybody could have gashed that Jet D yesterday. REAL NFL RBs can convert a 3rd and 1. All they do is fall forward.

785480[/snapback]

But Willis was never asked to attempt a 3rd & 1 yesterday.

His short yardage attempts are as follows....

2nd & 5....6 yard gain

2nd & 4....13 yard gain

2nd & 1....6 yard gain

2nd & 5....5 yard gain

2nd & 4....2 yard gain

2nd & 2....1 yard gain

In fact he was not asked to run on 3rd down at all except for one attempt at 3rd & 11(he got 6).

He missed a block(or two) but I cannot see how you can criticize his rushing performance. Had the coaches used him more he could easily have gotten 200.

If you don't think he is "top-tier"....who cares? He certainly performs at a level that is good enough to win so what does it matter where he ranks?

BTW....103 yards/game this season so far...2nd in the NFL. I'm not saying he is the best....just certainly good enough.

2nd & 5....6 yard gain

2nd & 4....13 yard gain

2nd & 1....6 yard gain

2nd & 5....5 yard gain

2nd & 4....2 yard gain

2nd & 2....1 yard gain

In fact he was not asked to run on 3rd down at all except for one attempt at 3rd & 11(he got 6).

He missed a block(or two) but I cannot see how you can criticize his rushing performance.  Had the coaches used him more he could easily have gotten 200. 

If you don't think he it "top-tier"....who cares?  He certainly performs at a level that is good enough to win so what does it matter where he ranks? 

BTW....103 yards/game this season so far...2nd in the NFL.  I'm not saying he is the best....just certainly good enough.

785649[/snapback]

My biggest problems with Willis are thus:

1) Red Zone performance. 1st and goal on the 1. Can't even move the pile.

2) Pass blocking. Awful, awful, awful.

My biggest problems with Willis are thus:

1) Red Zone performance. 1st and goal on the 1. Can't even move the pile.

2) Pass blocking. Awful, awful, awful.

785654[/snapback]

When are you refering to? We were 1st & goal on the 6 & he got 4.

Lemme go back and read the play-by-play. It was immediately after the horsecollar.

785663[/snapback]

Dibs is right, although it may have been the 4 1/2 or 5. Point is McGahee wasn't being stood up, they moved over 4 yards in that short yardage situation and McGahee wasn't being stood up behind the line. I'm positive they would have hammered that home from the 1 had they not tried to get cute.

Dibs is right, although it may have been the 4 1/2 or 5.  Point is McGahee wasn't being stood up, they moved over 4 yards in that short yardage situation and McGahee wasn't being stood up behind the line.  I'm positive they would have hammered that home from the 1 had they not tried to get cute.

785669[/snapback]

Also Shelton got hurt in the game and they were unable to run their standard goal line package.

2nd & 5....6 yard gain

2nd & 4....13 yard gain

2nd & 1....6 yard gain

2nd & 5....5 yard gain

2nd & 4....2 yard gain

2nd & 2....1 yard gain

He missed a block(or two) but I cannot see how you can criticize his rushing performance.  Had the coaches used him more he could easily have gotten 200. 

If you don't think he is "top-tier"....who cares?  He certainly performs at a level that is good enough to win so what does it matter where he ranks? 

BTW....103 yards/game this season so far...2nd in the NFL.  I'm not saying he is the best....just certainly good enough.

785649[/snapback]

Funny how the facts never back up what some people like to blather on about. Good post, thanks.

2nd & 5....6 yard gain

2nd & 4....13 yard gain

2nd & 1....6 yard gain

2nd & 5....5 yard gain

2nd & 4....2 yard gain

2nd & 2....1 yard gain

If you don't think he is "top-tier"....who cares?  He certainly performs at a level that is good enough to win so what does it matter where he ranks? 

785649[/snapback]

Thanks for the research and the true facts!

Is WM the top RB in the NFL?

Nope.

His game has too many glaring gaps in terms of blitz pick-up which are all on him and other issues like a failure to be extraordinarly productive as a receiver and a lack of TDs (both of which are incredibly reliant of the performance of others from the OC to the QB to the OL to blame him solely forthese problems though the best overcome the frailties of others and simply command the opportunities and make it work).

However, folks who seem to complain bitterly about him showing:

1. A lack of effort (yeah right compared to what other RBs do in real life he simply has gained more yards rushing than any other RB in the league so far in this brief season and compared to you and me who often debate whether we shoud make the effort to get up off the couch and go to the can now or can we hold out until halftime, I do not think lack of effort is the issue here).

2. A lack of weight lifting (yeah right the stiff arm he laid on an onrushing tackler whom he bulldozed through for a few yards but then 5 more were tacked on because all the struggling opponent could do was tug his facmask for a penalty was a real showing of how weak he is because he did not lift more).

3. Crudity towards women because of his baby momma comment (yeah they are right but the answer to this is that they avoid sleeping with WM not worry about whether he is a good RB or not).

At any rate, WM is not the full player that we want (yet), but like it or not he still is the fastest Bill RB ever to obtain 2000 yards rushing and he leads the NFL in rushing yards so far very early in this season.

He is unfinished and has obvious imperfections ( I guess he is not perfect like the rest of us) but he is:

1. One of the top RBs in the NFL and use of the term of art "elite" to characterize him even with his clear failings is more than reasonable.

2. The Bills go-guy at the RB position for the forseeable future. I do not know the exact nature of his contract but this is not his FA year and even after next year, if he performs as he has to date (a big if given the possibility of injury in the NFL) the maket would quite likely give him an average of the top 5 RB contracts that the franchise tag would give him and easily a top 10 average that the Bills would gain right of first refusal if they laid this tag on him.

More important for the Bills purposes, there is no easily forseeable replacement for him tht i can see us getting as our # 1 RB. If not, I would be happy to have you name him.

This whole conversation is so speculative that though there is no requirement that we not be silly on TSW, the concept that we should get rid of him or that he is going to another team before the 2009 (it may be 2010 if the new CBA allows him to be tagged twice IF we choose to do so buty I cannot remember. WM is a Bill if er want him for forseeable future and well beyong the career of the average NFL RB.

If he gets hurt then we may choose to let him go but contractually if we want him for a bunch of years we got him and at his current production levels, even with his glaring faults we want him because he performas extraordinarily well in several facet of the game and there IS NO OTHER REAL WORLD ALTERNATIVE FOR A #1 RB for the Bills.