Maybe the Bills shouldn't "go for it"

1billsfan

This is two games now that the game momentum has swung wildly against the Bills after "going for it" on 4th down, leading to 2 losses.

They have the league's best punter and maybe they should now only try pinning the opposition inside their own 10 yard line. Enough of this macho bs.

Maybe your right, they should stick to the basics. That fake FG attempt went over like a lead balloon ! Those three points would have been nice as well.

785037[/snapback]

Your assuming that they made that kick. It was a 52 yard kick ...

and back to the original poster ... you wanted them to punt from the 28 yard line!!!!????!!!!???

and back to the original poster ... you wanted them to punt from the 28 yard line!!!!????!!!!???

785042[/snapback]

It's better then giving them back the momentum and ultimately the game.

Buffalo Bills at 02:45

1-10-BUF20 (2:45) W.McGahee left guard to BUF 26 for 6 yards (J.Vilma, M.Chatham).

2-4-BUF26 (2:06) W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 39 for 13 yards (B.Thomas, A.Dyson).

1-10-BUF39 (1:27) W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 41 for 2 yards (B.Hamilton).

2-8-BUF41 (:49) W.McGahee left tackle to BUF 45 for 4 yards (M.Chatham, B.Kassell).

3-4-BUF45 (:09) J.Losman pass short middle to R.Royal to NYJ 35 for 20 yards (J.Vilma, K.Rhodes). Caught at NYJ 42.

Second Quarter

Buffalo Bills continued...

1-10-NYJ35 (15:00) A.Thomas left end pushed ob at NYJ 32 for 3 yards (B.Kassell).

PENALTY on BUF-K.Everett, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NYJ 35 - No Play.

1-20-NYJ45 (14:31) J.Losman pass incomplete deep middle to L.Evans. Overthrown, receiver at NYJ 25.

2-20-NYJ45 (14:26) PENALTY on BUF-J.Reed, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NYJ 45 - No Play.

2-25-50 (14:25) J.Losman pass incomplete deep left to L.Evans. Overthrown, receiver 4 yds. into end zone.

3-25-50 (14:19) J.Losman pass short right to R.Parrish to NYJ 28 for 22 yards (A.Dyson). WR screen, caught at 50.

4-3-NYJ28 (13:32) J.Losman pass short right to J.Reed to NYJ 26 for 2 yards (E.Coleman). Caught along sideline at NYJ 26.

New York Jets at 13:27

1-10-NYJ26 (13:27) K.Barlow up the middle to NYJ 29 for 3 yards (L.Tripplett, L.Fletcher-Baker).

2-7-NYJ29 (12:45) K.Barlow left tackle to NYJ 29 for no gain (L.Fletcher-Baker, K.Ellison).

3-7-NYJ29 (12:04) C.Pennington pass short right to L.Coles to NYJ 41 for 12 yards (J.Greer).

1-10-NYJ41 (11:23) (Shotgun) L.Washington left tackle to NYJ 47 for 6 yards (R.Denney). B.Smith at QB for play.

2-4-NYJ47 (10:48) C.Pennington pass incomplete deep left to B.Askew. Overthrown, receiver at sideline on BUF 28.

3-4-NYJ47 (10:41) C.Pennington pass short middle to L.Washington pushed ob at BUF 6 for 47 yards (T.McGee). Caught at 50, ran left after catch.

PENALTY on BUF-T.McGee, Face Mask (5 Yards), 3 yards, enforced at BUF 6.

1-3-BUF3 (10:20) K.Barlow up the middle for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

M.Nugent extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Dearth, Holder-B.Graham.

NYJ 7 BUF 7, Plays: 7 Yards: 74 Possession: 3:10.

It's better then giving them back the momentum and ultimately the game.

Buffalo Bills at 02:45

1-10-BUF20 (2:45) W.McGahee left guard to BUF 26 for 6 yards (J.Vilma, M.Chatham).

2-4-BUF26 (2:06) W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 39 for 13 yards (B.Thomas, A.Dyson).

1-10-BUF39 (1:27) W.McGahee up the middle to BUF 41 for 2 yards (B.Hamilton).

2-8-BUF41 (:49) W.McGahee left tackle to BUF 45 for 4 yards (M.Chatham, B.Kassell).

3-4-BUF45 (:09) J.Losman pass short middle to R.Royal to NYJ 35 for 20 yards (J.Vilma, K.Rhodes). Caught at NYJ 42.

Second Quarter

Buffalo Bills continued...

1-10-NYJ35 (15:00) A.Thomas left end pushed ob at NYJ 32 for 3 yards (B.Kassell).

PENALTY on BUF-K.Everett, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NYJ 35 - No Play.

1-20-NYJ45 (14:31) J.Losman pass incomplete deep middle to L.Evans. Overthrown, receiver at NYJ 25.

2-20-NYJ45 (14:26) PENALTY on BUF-J.Reed, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NYJ 45 - No Play.

2-25-50  (14:25) J.Losman pass incomplete deep left to L.Evans. Overthrown, receiver 4 yds. into end zone.

3-25-50  (14:19) J.Losman pass short right to R.Parrish to NYJ 28 for 22 yards (A.Dyson). WR screen, caught at 50.

4-3-NYJ28 (13:32) J.Losman pass short right to J.Reed to NYJ 26 for 2 yards (E.Coleman). Caught along sideline at NYJ 26.

New York Jets at 13:27

1-10-NYJ26 (13:27) K.Barlow up the middle to NYJ 29 for 3 yards (L.Tripplett, L.Fletcher-Baker).

2-7-NYJ29 (12:45) K.Barlow left tackle to NYJ 29 for no gain (L.Fletcher-Baker, K.Ellison).

3-7-NYJ29 (12:04) C.Pennington pass short right to L.Coles to NYJ 41 for 12 yards (J.Greer).

1-10-NYJ41 (11:23) (Shotgun) L.Washington left tackle to NYJ 47 for 6 yards (R.Denney). B.Smith at QB for play.

2-4-NYJ47 (10:48) C.Pennington pass incomplete deep left to B.Askew. Overthrown, receiver at sideline on BUF 28.

3-4-NYJ47 (10:41) C.Pennington pass short middle to L.Washington pushed ob at BUF 6 for 47 yards (T.McGee). Caught at 50, ran left after catch.

PENALTY on BUF-T.McGee, Face Mask (5 Yards), 3 yards, enforced at BUF 6.

1-3-BUF3 (10:20) K.Barlow up the middle for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

M.Nugent extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Dearth, Holder-B.Graham.

NYJ 7  BUF 7,  Plays: 7  Yards: 74  Possession: 3:10.

785061[/snapback]

I disagree. I think if a team stops another team on a 4th and inches and shoves the QB/RB back for a turnover on downs, then that would definately change momentum. But I dont think momentum has a huge shift when its a 4th and 3 pass. Our defense just misplayed the short pass that went for a long play. That simple. Our coaches had a choice ... they could kick a 45 yard field goal into the wind (not recommended) or they could punt from the 28 and HOPE it goes out around the 5-10 ... even so thats only a 18-23 yard punt. Personally I think going for it on 4th down has better chances of recovery than a 45 yard kick into the wind (chance of being blocked/just plain missing. the wind was going nuts) or a 18 yard punt.

785042[/snapback]

The Bills need to focus on the things they do well. Making short yardage plays and stopping teams from scoring after they stopped the Bills from making those short yardage plays are two things we now know the Bills aren't any good at. Punting the ball inside the 10 is something the Bills are good at. So yes, yes I would punt the ball hyper boy.

Compared to last week's excellent gameplan, ball control and level-headed play calling, the fake field goal, the no-challenge and the JP rollout inside the five was surprising.

Hate to say it, but they reminded me of last year's team - the same team I thought the Bills were much better than last week.

I disagree. I think if a team stops another team on a 4th and inches and shoves the QB/RB back for a turnover on downs, then that would definately change momentum. But I dont think momentum has a huge shift when its a 4th and 3 pass. Our defense just misplayed the short pass that went for a long play. That simple. Our coaches had a choice ... they could kick a 45 yard field goal into the wind (not recommended) or they could punt from the 28 and HOPE it goes out around the 5-10 ... even so thats only a 18-23 yard punt. Personally I think going for it on 4th down has better chances of recovery than a 45 yard kick into the wind (chance of being blocked/just plain missing. the wind was going nuts) or a 18 yard punt.

785067[/snapback]

Yeah, absurd discussion really. Aaron Schobel isn't going to outrun Leon Washington because the Bills have momentum.

Yeah, absurd discussion really.  Aaron Schobel isn't going to outrun Leon Washington because the Bills have momentum.

785072[/snapback]

Yeah, but the play calling and the defensive position is different when their backs are at their endzone.

I'm sorry, but I've seen "momentum" change games too often, to believe it is not a real entity.

This is two games now that the game momentum has swung wildly against the Bills after "going for it" on 4th down, leading to 2 losses.

They have the league's best punter and maybe they should now only try pinning the opposition inside their own 10 yard line. Enough of this macho bs.

785030[/snapback]

Nothing macho about it. They need to improve their short yardage game and giving up won't do that.

The Bills need to focus on the things they do well. Making short yardage plays and stopping teams from scoring after they stopped the Bills from making those short yardage plays are two things we now know the Bills aren't any good at. Punting the ball inside the 10 is something the Bills are good at. So yes, yes I would punt the ball hyper boy.

785068[/snapback]

Have you been drinking a bit too much? Your talking about a 18 yard punt and with the wind today, there is a BIG chance it would have carried into the endzone.