Fox News Admits Fake Story About Kerry

Fox News Made - Up Story

My favorite quote from the story: "The item was based on a reporters partial script that had been written in jest and should not have been posted or broadcast. Foxnews.com also regrets that error, which occurred because of fatigue and bad judgment, not malice."

Not malice? Really? Ok, then what was the "joke" about? Who did it benefit. I really believe that Dan Rather thought the documents were real, and Rather is/was right that the main point of his story was still TRUE!

Here, Fox just made it up! They were not fooled, they were not "lazy" in checking sources or documentary evidence. They just made it up!

Fox News Made - Up Story

My favorite quote from the story: "The item was based on a reporters partial script that had been written in jest and should not have been posted or broadcast. Foxnews.com also regrets that error, which occurred because of fatigue and bad judgment, not malice."

Not malice? Really? Ok, then what was the "joke" about? Who did it benefit. I really believe that Dan Rather thought the documents were real, and Rather is/was right that the main point of his story was still TRUE!

Here, Fox just made it up! They were not fooled, they were not "lazy" in checking sources or documentary evidence. They just made it up!

56354[/snapback]

So in other words it's perfectly acceptable to use fraudulant support as long as you BELIEVE the main point is true? Then why post something anti-"pretty much the same thing?" Oh, because it was a different media source. I get it.

You people are fuggin' amazing.

So in other words it's perfectly acceptable to use fraudulant support as long as you BELIEVE the main point is true?  Then why post something anti-"pretty much the same thing?"  Oh, because it was a different media source.  I get it.

You people are fuggin' amazing.

56374[/snapback]

I never said it was "perfectly acceptable." They violated serious journalistic standards and I believe Rather and the producers responsible should be fired.

But, I think Fox's gaff is worse, because they MADE IT UP ON PURPOSE. CBS were just stupid and incompetant - FOX was/is conspiratorial in that they did something intentional. It is the difference between negligent and intentional acts.

So a clerical error in which a joke was posted on the live site equals a news network failing to verify documents for a story, having their lead anchor go with said story live, and then when then story turns out to be false, standing by it because the lead producer has a five year hard-on for the subject of the story?

Every time I think Im becoming too much of a "lemming", threads like this (and anything NozzleHead posts) remind me Ive got a long way to go before I reach that point.

I never said it was "perfectly acceptable." They violated serious journalistic standards and I believe Rather and the producers responsible should be fired.

But, I think Fox's gaff is worse, because they MADE IT UP ON PURPOSE. CBS were just stupid and incompetant - FOX was/is conspiratorial in that they did something intentional. It is the difference between negligent and intentional acts.

56383[/snapback]

FOX didn't make it up. An individual did. FOX corrected the mistake immediately upon discovering it. That's pretty damn responsible. It's also contrary to how CBS handled their "mistake."

Your response is typical of those with no point to make. You're concentrating on minutia because of your disagreement with those who made the mistake. It's one of the largest reasons our country is in the situation we're in. We spend so much time placing blame there's precious little left to actually fix problems.

"I really believe that Dan Rather thought the documents were real, and Rather is/was right that the main point of his story was still TRUE!"

Congrats, lemming...

Your response is typical of those with no point to make.  You're concentrating on minutia because of your disagreement with those who made the mistake.  It's one of the largest reasons our country is in the situation we're in.  We spend so much time placing blame there's precious little left to actually fix problems.

I dig ya a ton, AD, but oh, the irony of that one. :(

Fox News Made - Up Story

56354[/snapback]

Yawn. Just another day at FoxSnooze.

Really, I don't know why anyone would take them seriously enough to even bother being upset about that story. They're owned by Rupert Murdoch, for christ's sake...the guy who broke into Iraq War coverage so he could be interviewed by Neil Cavuto for fifteen minutes on how his purchase of a satellite TV company would challenge the ultra-liberal propaganda of DirectTV...

I take them seriously and approach them the same way I take the NY Times, Newsday, CNN and pretty much every other news source seriously.

Like politicians, they are all cut from the same cloth. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a LEMMING.

FOX didn't make it up.  An individual did.  FOX corrected the mistake immediately upon discovering it.  That's pretty damn responsible.  It's also contrary to how CBS handled their "mistake."

Your response is typical of those with no point to make.  You're concentrating on minutia because of your disagreement with those who made the mistake.  It's one of the largest reasons our country is in the situation we're in.  We spend so much time placing blame there's precious little left to actually fix problems.

"I really believe that Dan Rather thought the documents were real, and Rather is/was right that the main point of his story was still TRUE!"

Congrats, lemming...

56390[/snapback]

In all honesty what is stopping FOX from knowing it was false and playing it until it gets debunked and immediately apologizing?

I think FOX knows a lot of what they air is false... They just look the other way until it proven wrong. Kinda like a "shotgun" approach, one piece of shot may hit... The ones that are wrong get apologized for right away. It makes them look like a "stand-up" guy.

Am I making myself clear? It is kinda like a batting average. Fox would be batting say .175. What about those 8 out of 10 times they missed? When do they get pulled for being unproductive? or deemed "entertainment?" Same goes for CBS. I don't think that they are taking the willy-nilly hacks at it like FOX is.

Congrats, lemming...

56390[/snapback]

In all honesty what is stopping FOX from knowing it was false and playing it until it gets debunked and immediately apologizing?

I think FOX knows a lot of what they air is false... They just look the other way until it proven wrong. Kinda like a "shotgun" approach, one piece of shot may hit... The ones that are wrong get apologized for right away. It makes them look like a "stand-up" guy.

Am I making myself clear? It is kinda like a batting average. Fox would be batting say .175. What about those 8 out of 10 times they missed? When do they get pulled for being unproductive? or deemed "entertainment?" Same goes for CBS. I don't think that they are taking the willy-nilly hacks at it like FOX is.

56910[/snapback]

That's because of your political leanings and the fact that you've never lived abroad. None of the major networks are any better or worse than the others. Just different call letters.