Peter King = Genius?

Here's another guy (along with Clayton) that has been so horribly wrong on the Bills this year, I question his football IQ. You may recall his "if you think the Bills are going to go into Miami and beat Nick Saban in the home opener, you're crazy" rant.

Again, I'm not saying the Bills are the greatest team since sliced bread, but the way these so-called "experts" make these grandiose, all-or-nothing comments makes me yearn for the days when Van Miller was just getting started in the biz.

Here's this week's "gem," which convinces me he doesn't watch most of the games (like most of these dopes) and goes by a snippet he sees on ESPN or a box score in the paper:

"This week [Pennington will] have to overcome a resurgent Bills D, led by end Ryan Denney.

LED? By a platooning d-end? Wow. Talk about horrible reporting.

"This week [Pennington will] have to overcome a resurgent Bills D, led by end Ryan Denney.

LED? By a platooning d-end? Wow. Talk about horrible reporting.

I mean, this is what these guys do...they look at the boxscore, catch the highlights or if they are feeling especially adventurous, they watch part of the game. They then state their claims on what limited first hand knowledge they actually bothered to obtain. It's sad.

King sees: R. Denney 4-0-3 and therefore decides that he is our best defender.

It is what it is....and its not gonna change anytime soon.

I mean, this is what these guys do...they look at the boxscore, catch the highlights or if they are feeling especially adventurous, they watch part of the game.  They then state their claims on what limited first hand knowledge they actually bothered to obtain.  It's sad.

783153[/snapback]

To be fair to these guys, they have about 10-12 hrs from the time the last Sunday/Monday night game is played until the next day to come with power rankings/analaysis etc. They are going to go with the big news from the top ten teams and then skim the highlights/box score for the rest and make up their own story about them. After all, they have to watch 32 teams (16 games) within that span of 10-12 hrs (even with a supporting staff) that can be quite hard. Hence,

you will see these funny statements.

To be fair to these guys, they have about 10-12 hrs from the time the last Sunday/Monday night game is played until the next day to come with power rankings/analaysis etc.  They are going to go with the big news from the top ten teams and then skim the highlights/box score for the rest and make up their own story about them.  After all, they have to watch 32 teams (16 games) within that span of 10-12 hrs (even with a supporting staff) that can be quite hard.  Hence,

783168[/snapback]

So it's easy to see why he comes across like Chad Johnson after a brain whacker. :D

To be fair to these guys, they have about 10-12 hrs from the time the last Sunday/Monday night game is played until the next day to come with power rankings/analaysis etc.  They are going to go with the big news from the top ten teams and then skim the highlights/box score for the rest and make up their own story about them.  After all, they have to watch 32 teams (16 games) within that span of 10-12 hrs (even with a supporting staff) that can be quite hard.  Hence,

783168[/snapback]

Excuse me if I shed no tears for a guy whose job is to watch football for a living.

I mean, this is what these guys do...they look at the boxscore, catch the highlights or if they are feeling especially adventurous, they watch part of the game.  They then state their claims on what limited first hand knowledge they actually bothered to obtain.  It's sad.

783153[/snapback]

I don’t get worked up by the prognosticators. I'm not saying I'm the most knowledgeable guy in the world but I played for over a decade, and watched just about every second of every game live since DTV came out. Who from the national media watches every second of every Bills game like so many of us do? If you weed out the homering the wall is a million times more insightful and accurate then anything you'll read from the large news outlets.

Excuse me if I shed no tears for a guy whose job is to watch football for a living.

783173[/snapback]

Another thing is, that these guys were used to writing one or two columns for a weekly magazine like SI or appearing once on ESPN a week. Now a days these guys have to post articles on the internet almost 2 to 3 times a week in addition to their work for the magazine and TV shows. I am not saying that they don't have a cushy job, considering the worthless information they dish, but the human energy is only so much.....

I don’t get worked up by the prognosticators. I'm not saying I'm the most knowledgeable guy in the world but I played for over a decade, and watched just about every second of every game live since DTV came out. Who from the national media watches every second of every Bills game like so many of us do? If you weed out the homering the wall is a million times more insightful and accurate then anything you'll read from the large news outlets.

783181[/snapback]

I don't get worked up either....that's why I said "it is what it is." I think the overall quality of sports reporting and broadcasting is pretty weak, but I don't need any "expert" to validate my opinion. I know enough about the teams I follow and sports in general to shrug off someone else's view if I don't agree.

Pointing out the ways guys like Clayton et al. suck can be funny, but to actually get upset about their "expert opinion" is a waste of time.

Another thing is, that these guys were used to writing one or two columns for a weekly magazine like SI or appearing once on ESPN a week. Now a days these guys have to post articles on the internet almost 2 to 3 times a week in addition to their work for the magazine and TV shows.  I am not saying that they don't have a cushy job, considering the worthless information they dish, but the human energy is only so much.....

783184[/snapback]

Just because you get tired or are running out of time does not mean you forget information that you've acquired. I don't expect the experts to know every 53 man roster & the talent levels of all those players....it would be nice, but only fans like us tend to delve that deeply into our own teams. I do however expect them to know the major names & if a no-name (to them) pops up in the stats(ala Denney), to recognize it was previously a no-name.

By saying that Denney leads our resurgent D, it shows that he does not even know who Spikes, Fletcher or Schoebel are let alone any of the up & comers. 0:)

Why play devil's advocate on this one?

Another thing is, that these guys were used to writing one or two columns for a weekly magazine like SI or appearing once on ESPN a week. Now a days these guys have to post articles on the internet almost 2 to 3 times a week in addition to their work for the magazine and TV shows.  I am not saying that they don't have a cushy job, considering the worthless information they dish, but the human energy is only so much.....

783184[/snapback]

In this day and age? With wireless, and internet? How is that work to pull up a depthchart, scan some local papers...a lot of local TV stations freaking post videos. If Peter King is having such a hard time ball-washing the Patriots and pimping overpriced coffee, all the while getting flown around the country to watch the NFL and mail in a few 500 word columns a week, then I'll gladly trade jobs with him for a season...just to see how awfull his life is.

I don't get worked up either....that's why I said "it is what it is."  I think the overall quality of sports reporting and broadcasting is pretty weak, but I don't need any "expert" to validate my opinion.  I know enough about the teams I follow and sports in general to shrug off someone else's view if I don't agree.

Pointing out the ways guys like Clayton et al. suck can be funny, but to actually get upset about their "expert opinion" is a waste of time.

783249[/snapback]

How you feeling about the trip to East Lansing? My MSU friends are usually pretty confident ND will overlook them, but they seem nervous after the Michigan route.