UB gets serious props regarding minority hiring

duey

In the late 70's and early 80's UB had a black hockey coach, Ed Wright who still teaches at the school.

Ed Wright also was the instructor for one of the coolest classes I have ever taken, Speedball and Floor Hockey. Half the semester was Speedball and the other half Floor Hockey and both were played in the gym at Clark Hall on Main Street. Speedball is a sport that combined parts of basketball, football and soccer. You could dribble like basketball or soccer and throw the ball like football. There was a goalie to prevent goals that were worth 1 point, as in soccer. But you could also score what was essentially a touchdown but was only worth 2 points. It was a great sport for conditioning. The Floor Hockey part was played with rings of tape for pucks while we only used the shaft of a hockey stick. We used typical street hockey nets. With the shafts and donut "pucks" it was much easier to control the "puck"and enabled us to get off some fast shots.

UB now offers intramural dodgeball:

http://www.buffalo.edu/reporter/vol37/vol3.../Dodgeball.html

I would really like UB to get Men's Division I Ice Hockey back. Women's Division I Ice Hockey would also be cool.