Jeff Fisher has lost it.

Chilly

IIRC, the concerns about McNair's contract, and how much it would cost the franchise especially if he got injured were a big part of the problem.

I don't know if that translates to emnity between Fisher and ownership .

781738[/snapback]

I think that Fisher wanted McNair back, but managment/ownership was in love with the idea of drafting Vnce Young (Fisher was not pleased by this), and using the younger, cheaper and less historically injured Volek to help them transition to Young.

One of the "insiders" I heard last night on FOX, said the "lie" that Volek told Fisher was that he was conditioning, and assuring Fisher he had a complete grasp of the offense, and was hittiing the (play) book round the clock in the off season.

It seems Fisher lost his guy in McNair, had Vince Young forced on him, and was putting his faith in Volek.

Volek showed up,very much ill-prepaired to lead the offense. It was comparable to the Shanahan/Bubby Brister situation the year after Elway retired. In this case, and I heard Fisher say this, Volek had, on three occaisions "demanded a trade", before Kerry Collins was even signed...and he wasn't going to let anyone who didn't want to be with the Titans lead them...he also mentioned something about Volek not even being familiar with all of the terminology used in the offense...he was concerned about it last season, and it did not improve enought in the offseason for Fisher to have faith in him.

Personally, I repect Fishers' convictions.

I think that Fisher wanted McNair back, but managment/ownership was in love with the idea of drafting Vnce Young (Fisher was not pleased by this), and using the younger, cheaper and less historically injured Volek to help them transition to Young.  One of the "insiders" I heard last night on FOX, said the "lie" that Volek told Fisher was that he was conditioning, and assuring Fisher he had a complete grasp of the offense.  Fisher lost his guy in McNair, had Vince Young forced on him, and was putting his faith in Volek.  Volek showed up,very much not ready to lead the offense.  It was comparable to the Shanahan/Bubby Brister situation the year after Elway retired.  In this case, and I heard Fisher say this, Volek had, on three occaisions "demanded a trade"...and he wasn't going to let anyone who didn't want to be with the Titans lead them....

Personally, I repect Fishers' convictions.

781962[/snapback]

Thats fine and dandy, but it doesn't excuse Fisher for bringing this to the media.

Thats fine and dandy, but it doesn't excuse Fisher for bringing this to the media.

781963[/snapback]

Yeah, I heard the interview, in its' entirety...apparently in Tennessee, the Volek situation was non-stop talk. He was asked if he had seen the local poll conducted, which showed that Titans felt that the Titans had "done Billy wrong" by a wide margin. I will say, maybe Fisher shouldn't have said anyhthing, but he seemed insulted that people were getting the perception that he, personally, was behind the moves to get rid of McNair and Volek. It seemed like he was trying to put a positve spin on things that management was doing, but finally got sick of it, and snapped...one of the reasons that players have loved playing for Fisher so much over the years, is that he was perceived as being a fair, players' coach. I suspect that Voleks (now ex) teammates won't be too sorry to see him go.

Either way, I wouldn't be shocked if he resigns or is fired before the season is over. At the very least, this will be his last season in Tennessee....and I would be equally shocked if, assuming he wants to coach right away, Fisher isn't the most coveted coaching candidate next NFL offseason...

Yeah, I heard the interview, in its' entirety...apparently in Tennessee, the Volek situation was non-stop talk.  He was asked if he had seen the local poll conducted, which showed that Titans felt that the Titans had "done Billy wrong" by a wide margin.  I will say, maybe Fisher shouldn't have said anyhthing, but he seemed insulted that people were getting the perception that he, personally, was behind the moves to get rid of McNair and Volek.  It seemed like he was trying to put a positve spin on things that management was doing, but finally got sick of it, and snapped...one of the reasons that players have loved playing for Fisher so much over the years, is that he was perceived as being a fair, players' coach.  I suspect that Voleks (now ex) teammates won't be too sorry to see him go.

Either way, I wouldn't be shocked if he resigns or is fired before the season is over.  At the very least, this will be his last season in Tennessee....and I would be equally shocked if, assuming he wants to coach right away, Fisher isn't the most coveted coaching candidate next NFL offseason...

781980[/snapback]

Yeah, I think you're right, he will most likely be the hottest candidate out there.

Thinking about it more, Fisher would be a perfect replacement for Cowher, if the chin leaves...

782159[/snapback]

I think the Steelers have their next HC in house. It will be Russ Grimm and if he doesn't want it, it will go to Ken Wishenhunt their current OC.

I heard that he was totally unprepared to be the starting QB.  He didn't know the terminology and the plays.  So I guess he "lied" to Fisher by telling him he was on top of things.

781219[/snapback]

I am actually a bit surprised to hear that considering he was lighting things up when he played last year. Kinda hard to do that if you don't know the terminology, not prepared, etc.

"He was untruthful with me, untruthful with his head coach, about where he was and what he was doing. So we started off on the wrong page there, and that did not sit well with me," Fisher said.

Fisher wouldn't say what the lie was.

Heard Mort on ESPN radio this morning, and he said that at one point during the off-season, during one of the "optional" sessions when the quarterbacks were supposed to come in, Volek was a no-show. He (Volek) called and left a message to the effect that he was out of town ... and later it came out that he had been in Nashville all along, and just made up the "out of town" story.

... but at this point, who cares???

GO BILLS!

I am actually a bit surprised to hear that considering he was lighting things up when he played last year.  Kinda hard to do that if you don't know the terminology, not prepared, etc.

782285[/snapback]

Seeing as how Norm Chow is in his 2nd year there, its probably the case that he's installing more of his offense this year, adding terminology and changing it from the previous OC.

I am actually a bit surprised to hear that considering he was lighting things up when he played last year.  Kinda hard to do that if you don't know the terminology, not prepared, etc.

782285[/snapback]

I think you might be thinking about 2004 Stats- last year I remember Volek being disappointing in his appearances - I don't even think he was their first choice at the end of the year when McNair was injured.

I think you might be thinking about 2004 Stats- last year I remember Volek being disappointing in his appearances - I don't even think he was their first choice at the end of the year when McNair was injured.

782352[/snapback]

Ah yes, you are correct. I am off by a year. Times flying way too fast