Sabres season tix arrived today....

taterhill

they are still working on them..I have a buddy in the ticket office that snagged them for me..

782673[/snapback]

Ok. I guess I owe them an apology. I got them today. Complete with the parking pass pad and $110 worth of Sabre Bucks.

This is sooner than they told me to expect them so I am happy. Thank you!

Even nicer no Sharks coming to town for you guys. You won't have to witness another ass kicking like Buffalo got last year when a road weary San Jose cruised to a easy 5-0 win.  0:)

783378[/snapback]

Yeah, they were REAL friggin' road weary. You might have noticed that that was the 1st game a Mr Joe Thornton played for your team. You might not have, I don't know how closely you follow your team, but if you thought they were road weary, you obviously don't follow them very closely. Heck, that team that day could have beaten the '77 Canadiens, the '83 Isles, or any of the Oiler Cup winners.

You may also have noticed that same Mr. Thornton who played so well for you in the regular season all but disappeared in the playoffs, just like he did the last time the NHL played for real. And, not to bust your bubble, but just like he most likely will do this season.

Ok. I guess I owe them an apology. I got them today. Complete with the parking pass pad and $110 worth of Sabre Bucks.

This is sooner than they told me to expect them so I am happy. Thank you!

783407[/snapback]

I got mine today as well. I was actually very impressed by the Sabres Bucks not having the abominable snot smear on them. The letter that was sent out was finishing up the Shatanic Goathead stationary, which I also appreciated. The ticket books, yeah they have the abominable snot smear across the front of it. But it is so small and so high on the ticket, that you can rifle through your tickets without seeing the abominable snot smear.

Yeah, they were REAL friggin' road weary.  You might have noticed that that was the 1st game a Mr Joe Thornton played for your team.  You might not have, I don't know how closely you follow your team, but if you thought they were road weary, you obviously don't follow them very closely.  Heck, that team that day could have beaten the '77 Canadiens, the '83 Isles, or any of the Oiler Cup winners.

You may also have noticed that same Mr. Thornton who played so well for you in the regular season all but disappeared in the playoffs, just like he did the last time the NHL played for real.  And, not to bust your bubble, but just like he most likely will do this season.

783429[/snapback]

2nd game of a east coast swing I guess they may not have been too tired. Anyway, I just threw that in for color. Not sure what Thorton has to do with it but anywho. To be honest, if I remember correctly, it was the Sabres that were road weary. I think the San Jose game was their 7th game in 10 nights. Not necessaraly all road games but still a tough stretch. I also remember thinking(before the actual game with the Sharks started) that we(San Jose) would have an advantage because the Sabres just had a tought OT win vs the Habs the previous night.

About Mr Thorton. I follow my team close enough to know that it was him that gave us the boost to get into the playoffs. I also follow closely enough to know that what beat us in the playoffs was not the disappearence of Joe(which disappointed me also) but the teams lack of grit when the Oilers started cheap shot tactics. Sharks leading the series 2-0 and that Pisani !@#$ and a couple others started running a couple of our young skill guys. The Sharks did absolutely nothing to retaliate and the series seemed to go downhill from there. It was like the Oilers knew we were their B word and started pushing us around. What also cost us was our lack of coaching adjustments. Wilson refused to adjust to the Oiler defensive tactics.

The grit problem has been addressed by aquiring Grier from you guys. Good move. He played very well for the Sabres in the playoffs last season. We some balls and he will certainly not disappoint. Also the Sharks got Mark Bell who is a gritty player with skills. Not bad at all.

daveb dont get wound up Im just having fun. Actually I really enjoy watching the Sabres. I grew up in Burlington, Ont and Ive seen many Sabre games at the Aud. Sabres were actually my favorite team as a kid and only became a Shark fan since moving out here.

I grew up in  Burlington, Ont and Ive seen many Sabre games at the Aud. Sabres were actually my favorite team as a kid and only became a Shark fan since moving out here.

783435[/snapback]

Isn't it funny how once you move away you are less and less a leaf fan?

Isn't it funny how once you move away you are less and less a leaf fan?

783440[/snapback]

I gradually lost interest in the Leafs because of thier complacent management. They have no need to achieve because the seats are full no matter what. With the amount of TV money and other income the Leafs have they should be ashamed of themselves. Teams like the Sabres(and the Sharks) have to work thier asses off to put enough people in the seats to make the franchises viable. Management of these two teams are much more motivated. I really do admire the Sabres for what they did last season.

2nd game of a east coast swing I guess they may not have been too tired. Anyway, I just threw that in for color. Not sure what Thorton has to do with it but anywho. To be honest, if I remember correctly, it was the Sabres that were road weary. I think the San Jose game was their 7th game in 10 nights. Not necessaraly all road games but still a tough stretch. I also remember thinking(before the actual game with the Sharks started) that we(San Jose) would have an advantage because the Sabres just had a tought OT win vs the Habs the previous night.

About Mr Thorton. I follow my team close enough to know that it was him that gave us the boost to get into the playoffs. I also follow closely enough to know that what beat us in the playoffs was not the disappearence of Joe(which disappointed me also) but the teams lack of grit when the Oilers started cheap shot tactics. Sharks leading the series 2-0 and that Pisani !@#$ and a couple others started running a couple of our young skill guys. The Sharks did absolutely nothing to retaliate and the series seemed to go downhill from there. It was like the Oilers knew we were their B word and started pushing us around.  What also cost us was our lack of coaching adjustments. Wilson refused to adjust to the Oiler defensive tactics.

The grit problem has been addressed by aquiring Grier from you guys. Good move. He played very well for the Sabres in the playoffs last season. We some balls and he will certainly not disappoint. Also the Sharks got Mark Bell who is a gritty player with skills. Not bad at all.

daveb dont get wound up Im just having fun. Actually I really enjoy watching the Sabres. I grew up in  Burlington, Ont and Ive seen many Sabre games at the Aud. Sabres were actually my favorite team as a kid and only became a Shark fan since moving out here.

783435[/snapback]

Didn't mean to sound QUITE as harsh as it came off. Sorry. But what I was getting at, for that game in Buffalo last year, the Sharks had an incredible jump because they were playing with their superstar for the very 1st time. I can't think of a single time off the top of my head that a team didn't come out screaming the 1st day they had a top tier player in the lineup. The Sabres looked like they'd win the Stanley Cup the day that Lafontaine 1st wore B&G.

Thornton had EVERYTHING to do with that game. When he rang the puck off the goalpost ~10 seconds into the start of the game, there was no looking back. Yes, Buffalo was a little flat in that game, and it probably was due in part to the game in Montreal the previous night. But the way SJ had been playing heading into that game, a flat Sabres team would have beat a Thornton-less (Joe, not Scott) Sharks team and a Sabres team that had its usual jump would have won big.

SJ had not won in 10 consecutive games heading into Buffalo. They had gotten thumped by Detroit 2 nights earlier 4-1. The team appeared to be, at least from this outsider's perspective, a mess. Which was very surprising, because before the season started, I would have thought they would probably be the team from the west to make it to the Finals. If they hadn't picked up Joe, the team would have had a Chicago or St. Louis type of season.

Buffalo had won 8 of their previous 9 games and the only loss they had in that span was a shootout loss to the Strangers when Noronen hurt his leg and Marty had to come in cold to finish the shootout.

As I said previously, without Thornton that game is 100% different.

I also don't deny that Thornton is fantastic in the regular season. But, until he actually shows 1 time that he will show up in the post season, I will consider him another Yashin type player. One that will not bring it when it matters most.

Grier and Bell are good acquisistions for you, but the loss of Scott Thornton will ofset their gains to a degree. If Grier can make Thornton show up in the playoffs, he'll have been a great pickup. I seriously doubt though that anyone can do that.

Didn't mean to sound QUITE as harsh as it came off.  Sorry.  But what I was getting at, for that game in Buffalo last year, the Sharks had an incredible jump because they were playing with their superstar for the very 1st time.  I can't think of a single time off the top of my head that a team didn't come out screaming the 1st day they had a top tier player in the lineup.  The Sabres looked like they'd win the Stanley Cup the day that Lafontaine 1st wore B&G. 

Thornton had EVERYTHING to do with that game.  When he rang the puck off the goalpost ~10 seconds into the start of the game, there was no looking back.  Yes, Buffalo was a little flat in that game, and it probably was due in part to the game in Montreal the previous night.  But the way SJ had been playing heading into that game, a flat Sabres team would have beat a Thornton-less (Joe, not Scott) Sharks team and a Sabres team that had its usual jump would have won big.

SJ had not won in 10 consecutive games heading into Buffalo.  They had gotten thumped by Detroit 2 nights earlier 4-1.  The team appeared to be, at least from this outsider's perspective, a mess.  Which was very surprising, because before the season started, I would have thought they would probably be the team from the west to make it to the Finals.  If they hadn't picked up Joe, the team would have had a Chicago or St. Louis type of season.

Buffalo had won 8 of their previous 9 games and the only loss they had in that span was a shootout loss to the Strangers when Noronen hurt his leg and Marty had to come in cold to finish the shootout.

As I said previously, without Thornton that game is 100% different.

I also don't deny that Thornton is fantastic in the regular season.  But, until he actually shows 1 time that he will show up in the post season, I will consider him another Yashin type player.  One that will not bring it when it matters most.

Grier and Bell are good acquisistions for you, but the loss of Scott Thornton will ofset their gains to a degree.  If Grier can make Thornton show up in the playoffs, he'll have been a great pickup.  I seriously doubt though that anyone can do that.

783596[/snapback]

Nice reply daveb. I quietly agree with you on Thornton(whispering because I dont want my Shark fan buddies to hear me). Until he comes around in the playoffs Im not totally comfortable with him. After the Nashville series he appeared to really tighten up. Not close to the same attitude and composure that he showed all season. You might even say, hate to use the word, that he choked.

Scott Thorton is not the same player as you may remember. Only plays physical sporadically. I was really disappointed when he didnt come out to defend his teamates in the Oiler series. That was his role(in my mind) since Wilson, in his wisdom, was sitting tough guy Scott Parker. Point is that Scott Thornton was pretty much done here. Again, im really happy with the aquasition of Greir. I hope the Sabres have someone to fill that role because even in todays kinder, gentler NHL, that type of player is necessary. Particularly in the playoffs.

Nice reply daveb. I quietly agree with you on Thornton(whispering because I dont want my Shark fan buddies to hear me). Until he comes around in the playoffs Im not totally comfortable with him. After the Nashville series he appeared to really tighten up. Not close to the same attitude and composure that he showed all season. You might even say, hate to use the word, that he choked.

Scott Thorton is not the same player as you may remember. Only plays physical sporadically. I was really disappointed when he didnt come out to defend his teamates in the Oiler series. That was his role(in my mind) since Wilson, in his wisdom, was sitting tough guy Scott Parker. Point is that Scott Thornton was pretty much done here. Again, im really happy with the aquasition of Greir. I hope the Sabres have someone to fill that role because even in todays kinder, gentler NHL, that type of player is necessary. Particularly in the playoffs.

783600[/snapback]

Hadn't Thorton just been acquired like two days before the Buffalo game? As I remember the Sharks were all pumped up over the trade and the Sabres were flat after a lot of games.

Hadn't Thorton just been acquired like two days before the Buffalo game? As I remember the Sharks were all pumped up over the trade and the Sabres were flat after a lot of games.

783748[/snapback]

You're correct. We were also coming off an emotional game against the Canadiens the previous night. We were due for a letdown.