Okay....Enough about Miami....On to the Jets

ganesh

Now that the euphoria over the Miami win has subsided, it is time to move on to our next opponent....The Jets...

What has been the positives for the Jets in their first two games:

1. Chad Pennington has been throwing pretty good. He has to be very happy to get back his favorite target Lavarnes Coles. He is also been given a new weapon in his 2nd WR Cotchery.

2. I think Mangold and Ferguson have done a decent job in providing protection to Chad. Our line will have to do some stunts to confuse the rookie linemen.

3. Vilma has been playing outstanding once again.

4. Justin Miller is averaging 25.5 yards in KR with a long of 41.

What are they missing from previous years:

1. John Abraham, whom they traded to the Falcons this off season. He was a monster for them on that DL.

2. Their running game has been pretty average. They have rushed for a total of 142 yards in two games averaging 2.4 yards per carry.

3. The kicker Mike Nugent has been going through a bad stretch missing easy FGs

Now that the euphoria over the Miami win has subsided, it is time to move on to our next opponent....The Jets...

What has been the positives for the Jets in their first two games:

1.  Chad Pennington has been throwing pretty good. He has to be very happy to get back his favorite target Lavarnes Coles.  He is also been given a new weapon in his 2nd WR Cotchery.

2.  I think Mangold and Ferguson have done a decent job in providing protection to Chad.  Our line will have to do some stunts to confuse the rookie linemen.

3. Vilma has been playing outstanding once again.

4. Justin Miller is averaging 25.5 yards in KR with a long of 41.

What are they missing from  previous years:

1. John Abraham, whom they traded to the Falcons this off season.  He was a monster for them on that DL.

2.  Their running game has been pretty average. They have rushed for a total of 142 yards in two games averaging 2.4 yards per carry.

3.  The kicker Mike Nugent has been going through a bad stretch missing easy FGs

780587[/snapback]

Isn't great to have a coaching staff you can count on? 'course this won't stop me fro doing my own game-planning :blush:

It seems obvious that the jets will try to beat us with Chad's arm. Their run game is mediocre. This falls into the Bils strength: pass rush and pass defense. Chad throw very good short and mid range passes but can hit the long ball which I imagine they will go for throughout the game. The Bills must gameplan for the long ball too.

The last time Chad showed up in Buffalo, he led the Jets to a lead but then tried a scramble and Fletcher send him to the sidelines and ultimately to the surgeon (shoulder injury). Chad cannot move and is a staue in the pocket. Key is to rattle him - it can be done.

On offense, the Bills strength is the rungame and the jets can't stop it.

Hmmmm....pound the ball.

The weather may be a factor. Wind and/or rain. Turnovers may wreak havoc on both sides.

Does JP have to win this game for us? I don;t think so. We can win with stopping the passing game of the Jets and pounding the ball on offense.

-RnJ

My biggest concern for this game is the fatique of back-to-back road games to start the season. Conditioning improves during the year, so you just know these guys are tired. Despite the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about, I think we need to have success with McGahee and Thomas to grind the clock slowly.

The Jets' ground game has suffered in terms of being something they do well consistently, and -- unlike Miami -- we won't have the benefit of their OC making them one dimensional. So we'll need to make them one dimensional by ourselves.

Also, Pennington has no deep ball, and if you watched him vs. NE you saw him go over the top to Coles, who had his man beat for six, but the pass came up miserably short, Coles had to go back for it, and their best chance to tie the game fell apart because of that weakness.

My biggest concern for this game is the fatique of back-to-back road games to start the season. Conditioning improves during the year, so you just know these guys are tired. Despite the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about, I think we need to have success with McGahee and Thomas to grind the clock slowly.

The Jets' ground game has suffered in terms of being something they do well consistently, and -- unlike Miami -- we won't have the benefit of their OC making them one dimensional. So we'll need to make them one dimensional by ourselves.

Also, Pennington has no deep ball, and if you watched him vs. NE you saw him go over the top to Coles, who had his man beat for six, but the pass came up miserably short, Coles had to go back for it, and their best chance to tie the game fell apart because of that weakness.

780608[/snapback]

Things I think are Jets' weaknesses when put in the context of playing the Bills:

1) Putrid Running offense.

2) 2 rookies on the OL facing an intense defense.

3) Rowdy home crowd and possible bad elements foiling passing game.

Things that I think are Jet strengths:

1) savvy QB. While not the strongest of QBs, Pennington is one of the smartest

2) Pass Defense. If Losman is forced to bring the team back, it could get dicey

And there you have it.

I hear ya, and this game scares me because it really could be a come-down for this young team. Hopefully, with it being the home opener, everyone will be stoked.

Interstingly enough, Pennington lives and dies by the running game. He just has such darn good ball-handling skills that he can eat us alive with the play-action pass. Of course, the defense doesn't have to respect it as much if the running game isn't working. As bad as the Jets' running game has been, our run defense has been equally bad. And that does worry me.

If we can get ahead early and/or shut down the Jets' running game, this could be an easy win. Otherwise, it could be a lo-o-o-ong day.

My biggest concern is Chad Pennington. He is the jets offense and can cerebrally pick apart a defense. However Id also on the flip side of the coin venture to say chad pennington is also a big weakness for the jets and falls into our biggest strength. Pennington lacks the arm strength for a quick strike offense, and I whole heartedly believe with the speed of our defense which is faster then the titans or patriots we'll be able to cut off a lot of the short reads forcing pennington to try to push the ball down the field, resulting in good turnover opportunities.

I know it's terribly cliche, but the bills must avoid turnovers in their end of the field and must establish field position. The one thing pennington is great at is redzone work. I dont think he's ever thrown an int in the redzone. On the offensive side of the ball Willis, Willis, Willis. In the 3 games he's started vs the jets he has 388 yards on 88 carries and 2 tds. Establish the ground game and take away the short passing game which btw the tampa 2 defense is designed to do and I believe we can win this game handidly, although I expect it to be close.

My biggest concern is definitely Pennington. He has the ability to take what the defense is giving him and methodically pick the defense apart by converting manageable 3rd down situations.

Out keys this week are to improve our rush defense--MIA ran Ronnie Brown only twice in the second half last week and if they didn't abandon the run, they may have been more successful. Just because the Jets are only averaging 2.8 yards a carry doesn't mean that we are automatically going to stop them with our putrid run defense.

Second, I believe that we have to defense the short crossing routes and the defend the flats. We have a good secondary but CP is good at checking down and not making mistakes, so I don't think that we'll see him trying to thread the needle on any intermiediate to deep passing plays, because he doesn't have an arm. Anyone watching them play the Pats last week would have seen CP throw a Hail Mary to end the game that went about 45 yards TOPS.

On our side of the ball, we need to maintain what we have been doing in the first half of ball games. McGahee has been getting great stats during the first half and has slipped a little in the second half. I don't know if this is a result of opponents adjustments at halftime or our guys are not staying focused or becoming fatigued, but we have been unable to rund the ball efficiently in the second half.

Next, once we establish the run, I think we should utilize more play action passes and misdirections to keep the Jets D off-balanced. When are we going to see a PA rollout pass to the TE??? Our TEs need to become more involved in the offense to take some pressure off of JP. Another way to take some pressure off of JP is to throw some high percentage passes like we were last week in the second half. His stats at the half were 1/8 for 14 yds. After the half: 7/10 for 70 yds and a TD. By high percentage I mean screen passes to the RBs and bubble screens to our WRs who are good at making defenders miss.

Of course we need to play good ST and not allow Cotchery to get into the open space. Remember Jets teams have beaten us with their ST (opening day 2 years ago). We also have to protect the football. We are one of only 2 teams without a TO yet and the Jets are +3 in TO margin.

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar game plan as last week: run the ball, take our chances downfield once in a while, throw high percentage passes, and defend the short to medium range passes where Pennington has had most of his success this year.

Final score: Bills 20

Jets 7

Jets: Strengths are:

QB who is a gamer, and is seldom fooled

2 Quality WR

Solid Corp of LB

Weaknesses:

Running game belongs on a milk carton

DB's are average

Haven't shown the ability to apply pressure to the QB on D

I think the Bills come in amped up, JP gets the shackles loostened up just a little bit.....maybe 180 - 200 yds passing, McGahee struggles early as the Jets stack the line thinking Losman can't hurt them, then starts to find openings by the mid 2nd Quarter. Bills D is on rocket fuel, needs to control their emotions with having the 12th man on their side for the first time this year. I like the Bills chances very much in this one.