if this doesn't sound like....

1984, I don't know what does. These Euros are setting the stage for totalitarianism. Won't they ever learn?

780483[/snapback]

This sounds much more like 1984 to me:

''We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.''

Funny that it's a common phrase used by lefties to criticize Bush.

wiki

One would think that that's how BUSH people would think.

780492[/snapback]

It's a quote attributed to a Bush staffer.

I've got to think the quote is taken egregiously out of context. Either that or the staffer was a bigger idiot than his boss.

It's a quote attributed to a Bush staffer. 

I've got to think the quote is taken egregiously out of context.  Either that or the staffer was a bigger idiot than his boss.

780501[/snapback]

Either that or it was an invention of the NYT itself.

Not like THAT hasn't happened before.

I choose to believe it came from the White House...just because I then get to enjoy the irony of the NYT bitching about a statement that just as accurately describes themselves.  :angry:

780512[/snapback]

Certainly, the media goes a long way toward creating reality for the masses. I think Orwell understood the use of the media long before the rest of us did.

I don't think the quote's out of context. There is plenty of context. When it's coming from an administration that's used a lot of different means to paint the picture it wants people to see vs. what may be really happening, it's even more eerie, to my mind.

Certainly, the media goes a long way toward creating reality for the masses.  I think Orwell understood the use of the media long before the rest of us did.

I don't think the quote's out of context.  There is plenty of context.  When it's coming from an administration that's used a lot of different means to paint the picture it wants people to see vs. what may be really happening, it's even more eerie, to my mind.

780584[/snapback]

When has this administration ever painted any sort of picture for anyone? That's been my most consistent complaint about this administration: they can't (or won't, or simply don't) present a coherent platform on anything, ever since they gave nineteen different and conflicting justifications for invading Iraq.

I'm sure their reality is an actual, coherent whole. I'm equally sure their presentation of such is entirely unlike an actual, coherent whole. The pictures they paint for the public are abstract impressionist art done by a blind three year old with finger paints.

When it's coming from an administration that's used a lot of different means to paint the picture it wants people to see vs. what may be really happening, it's even more eerie, to my mind.

780584[/snapback]

How is that different from any other administration or from the Democrats?